Military Symbols

The question, though, is what kind of symbology do you want? If you are going for realism, then I'd rather use the silhouettes. I've played games that use historical unit symbology and, especially when playing the Germans, I would end up hunting around manuals to see what's what.

I'm all for using standard NATO symbology on the units... anachronistic as it is, becasue I want to see what the uits are (which is as good as any way for not using simple sihouettes especially for units with similar functions but vastly different uses) at a glance.

[ May 03, 2002, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Compassion ]

Originally posted by R_Leete:

One option I'd really enjoy would be to have the unit name/number on the tile. But it's just eye candy, and I'd still buy the game if it was hard coded the way it is.

I´d like to see the remaining action points (additionally to the strength).

Straha

Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

That has been addressed, and while I forget the answer, I DO know that all the graphics in the game are "MOD-able" so I'm sure the community will have a huge variety of choices for how your game can look.

Actually, I have not seen a definitive answer to this question...I realize that it is modable but I was wondering if there would be a straightforward option to select a simple "X" for infantry, "oval" for armor, etc....it's not a huge deal but I prefer the miltary symbols to the icons...

Happy Gaming....

I like the current symbols displayed. I dont think they are "silly". Im tired of NATO symbols.

As long as the game is modable or NATO symbols are optional I think its great. Give us choices please!

I see SC as a Panzer General type game (beer and pretzels) but with alot going on under the hood (game engine). I want it easy to use, user freindly and modable.

Thanks ;)

I also fail to see the "silliness" in the present icons as they do their job pretty well. The Nato symbols were not popping up straight from the bible either ... and in WW2 they were not yet standard anyway.

Ergonomic features like easy access to information is more important ... that's why I think the real deal is that the counters have still room left to show another number in the lower part ... smile.gif

Straha

[ May 04, 2002, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Straha ]

Originally posted by waynef:

[QB]As long as the game is modable or NATO symbols are optional I think its great. Give us choices please!{/QB]

Agreed...."Give us Choices" is all Im asking....why cant we have both?

If the 5 year old Operational Art of War engine can give us a choice of Man/Tank Icons or symbols, why can't a state of the art PC wargame do both as well?

Each to his own....I find that the man/tank icons detract from the game....I can certainly live with them if need be, but why not have both?

I really don't want to have to go in and make changes with mods and all.....Im just saying it would be nice if the game came with this feature....

Happy Gaming...

Originally posted by R_Leete:

One option I'd really enjoy would be to have the unit name/number on the tile. But it's just eye candy, and I'd still buy the game if it was hard coded the way it is.

What about a "hover" option like in Microsoft and Windows programs - ie you hover the cursor over the unit, and an information box pops up with the unit's name and stats (sorry if this already exists, I'm new to this board...)

As originally posted by Mr Clark:

Being unfamilair with Military symbols, I'm actually HAPPY with the person and tank symbols. Its much easier for me to tell everything apart at a glance.

I tend to agree with Mr Clark here.

The current modeling of SC gives it that realistic and having-some-fun feel, as opposed to laboring over stacks of military symbols.

The game can be both -- a serious attempt to knock the stuffing out of the opponent, and, a simple enjoyment of aesthetics. Wasn't it always great fun to unpack an old boardgame and marvel over the playing pieces? Axis & Allies is a good example of what I mean, and I suspect that Hubert is trying for that hands-on feeling.

Including both options would be democratic, but if I had to vote -- give us the squad and tank icons! smile.gif (... am I wrong, or does that tank icon change over time -- in the later game shots it appears to have metamorphed into a more advanced tank design?)

The Hover feature would be nifty. The unit graphics will be fully modable, so I'm sure that there will be several options shortly after SC is released. IIRC, there is a feature that allows the names of the units to be changed in the game. The limiting factor will probably be the number of individual BMPs. If there is one BMP for all tank units, then all tank units will look alike. If there is a seperate one for each country, then your mod options increase.

Originally posted by Immer Etwas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

(... am I wrong, or does that tank icon change over time -- in the later game shots it appears to have metamorphed into a more advanced tank design?)</font>

Each major country will have it's own icons, so the option already exists for someone if they would like to change these. All subsequent minors have their own set as well, i.e. one for allied minors and one set for axis minors

The three icons that change over time and that are dependant on research are the "tank", "airfleet" and "strategic bombers" icons. These change as you develop 'heavy tanks', 'jet aircraft' and 'heavy bombers' research

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

Each major country will have it's own icons, so the option already exists for someone if they would like to change these. All subsequent minors have their own set as well, i.e. one for allied minors and one set for axis minors

The three icons that change over time and that are dependant on research are the "tank", "airfleet" and "strategic bombers" icons. These change as you develop 'heavy tanks', 'jet aircraft' and 'heavy bombers' research

Cool. My 2 cents is don't waste time making an alternate NATO set. Somebody will mod it soon enough.

Originally posted by Immer Etwas:

:confused: I fail to see how "silly" little figures are any more fun than military symbols. To me, what makes it fun is if it's not laborious to look at the map and see what's going on - whether that means looking at military symobls or funny little tank pictures is up to you.

As originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

:confused: I fail to see how "silly" little figures are any more fun than military symbols. To me, what makes it fun is if it's not laborious to look at the map and see what's going on - whether that means looking at military symobls or funny little tank pictures is up to you.

Ah Mannheim, you are trying to get my goat, I see.

However, I let him out to pasture this morning, and now he is over to the neighbor's yard chewing on his tree-tire swing. ;) If nothing else, this saves me alfalfa money.

I didn't mean to imply that those who prefer military icons are somehow lesser folk. I have played TOAW and found it a bit tedious in terms of locating units quickly and then having to continuously cycle through the stacks to see where specific formations are located.

I like these icons -- and the single hex stacking, because I can survey my (rapidly expanding smile.gif ) empire, at a glance.

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

Thanks for the reply Hubert!

That leaves some room for some pretty sweet MODS I'll bet.

I'm still perfectly happy with things the way they appear now, but then I haven't seen what MOD'ers will do once they get hold of the game.