A New Beginning-Invitational Tourney

Well for teh Brits I alwys buy a couple or 3 3" mortars on table, the occasional MMG carrier or Wasp, and often a couple of Vickers.

The Vickers sit on a hill well back and are left to shot at whatever they want to - often they'll attract artillery fire, which is fine by me - every round of HE spent on them isn't doing anythign to my infantry!! they're also great for annoying all those pesky German 20mm guns etc.

I also use the 75mm pack howitzer & 6 pdr AT a bit - both have a good rate of fire are small and can be towed by a jeep, and are very effective for the price.

Artillery is another area where the allies are ahead by miles. All the Allied artillery is more cost effective than the German equivalents IMO, so I max out on it.

And do NOT underestimate the usefulness of a Sherman vanilla 75mm with 50+ rounds of HE if the otehr guy has lots of infantry!

Lastly - tactics - why get into a dagger fight in the first place? Let eth other guy have the buildings! You'll se him moving into them, and can then take your time directing artillery and tank fire into him at the appropriate places while keeping your own infantry secure and safe for a push when he's suitably weakened!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am born again and back meaner than ever - i am open to one or 2 games.

1) You choose sides

2) I choose your units as well as mine so i know you are not buying any gamey units smile.gif

3) You allow me to view and approve your orders first so i know not to report you to the tribunal and.......oh rats, those new rules are out. Ok ok, forget about number 2 and 3. :D

Actually i prefer a mans game, play it as it was designed by Stevie baby and Charlie - no rules, but if you want them its ok by me so long as you let me know in your mail.

CDIC

Match with Claymore is progressing nicely. I have him surrounded on the side of a map and dominate the battlefield elsewhere. My agile Cromwells are causing infantry casualties but seem unable to halt Claymores movements. He still has a tank out there somewhere.

I hold the flag areas and intend to keep holding them.

My Cromwell I've sent on exploration mission towards Claymores (now empty) end of the map has flushed out a lone arty spotter, hopefully the 240mm that's been bothering me.

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: Jarmo ]

Speaking of Claymore... Where the heck is he? I have sent him numerous e-mails with the turn he needs to process and he has failed time and time again to respond.

Claymore! If you are reading this and have yet to get a turn from me then SEND ME YOUR OLD TURN.

I have been sending the turns to your DialupUser e-mail and another e-mail.

Jeff

It is patently obvious to me what the problem was with this tournament. It was for "Stars": a breed notorious for temper tantrums, capricious and willful behavior and "eccentricities" that make the raging psychotic muttering to himslef as he sits on a sidewalk grate seem positively sane. Yup, bunch a prima donnas - Mariah Careys all yap yap yappin to have the seeds removed from the watermelon slices or there will be hell to pay. pack o friggin sissies. makes me sick. buck up play the game win the wine and stop whining.

Peng

Hey guys, I'll be getting out of this. Since Claymore seems to be taking off, that's one of my games stalling. I'll gladly finish the other one with Berli if he wants, but due to some time constraints and all, I'll be dropping out.

I just want to tell everyone, "I am not going anywhere until I get a chance to tear into the furry, matted hides of each and everyone of you."

Just thought you guys would like to know.

Jeff

P.S. John K., send me a response on my e-mail to you. Grrrr. Yap! Yap!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrPeng:

It is patently obvious to me what the problem was with this tournament. It was for "Stars": a breed notorious for temper tantrums, capricious and willful behavior and "eccentricities" that make the raging psychotic muttering to himslef as he sits on a sidewalk grate seem positively sane. Yup, bunch a prima donnas - Mariah Careys all yap yap yappin to have the seeds removed from the watermelon slices or there will be hell to pay. pack o friggin sissies. makes me sick. buck up play the game win the wine and stop whining.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that I have now a vague idea what the Peng thread is about. tongue.gif

Thanks Peng... we all needed that... :cool:

By the way, maybe one of the problems with this tournament is (hope was) that we all know already who gets all that wine. Fionn of course. So we just have to motivate ourselves again now. My personal motivation is to learn how to play CMBO, and meet (virtually) some interesting people. Some even using Mac.

Negotiations with jshandorf are nearing an end. I expect war to break out very soon. For the record, he now owes me a response to my latest set of proposals. (roars)

My dance card is still one war short. Minimum. Prospective victims are invited to apply. Hey, I can dream can't I?

Regards,

John Kettler

War is imminent with Finland! Jarmo wants to dance, and we've agreed on an extremely sporting approach. We buy blind after Treeburst155 randomly assigns sides, then undergo a second flip to decide whether we fight with what we bought or become the other side. Only then do we get the map.

A minimum of 800 pts. must go into armor category, and there must be a platoon of infantry per side. Artillery is wide open, airpower in. The rarely seen Heer vanilla infantry (no SMG platoons, SS PzGren, FJ,GJ, Fus,VS, etc.) is mandatory for the Germans. Allies may use airborne to simulate real weapon mix.

Depending on forces bought, weather, ground conditions and such, this could be anything from brutally short to a slogging match. I guarantee it won't be dull.

My other erstwhile foe aborning has been abducted by aliens, for jshandorf hasn't been heard from since I replied after he chastised me earlier here in the thread for not responding.

Regards,

John Kettler

Treeburst155,

The aliens returned jshandorf, and his vital memory circuits seem to be okay (kept babbling about "the Probe!), for he did E-mail me and should be getting in touch with you soon, if he hasn't already. You already have "my" force buy for the Germans. The quotes are because real ownership is still undecided. Jarmo needs to stop destructively testing the specific gravity of aquavit and send in his force buy! (wink)

Regards,

John Kettler

The horrible truth is starting to reveal. It seems that those aliens have abducted a lot more people, because all of my opponents are using something called Mac: Jarmo, Berli, Shandorf, CDIC, Fionn?. And nobody is using the PBEM helper for obvious reasons.

It's a fight now to the Finnish, for I just sent Jarmo my setup. I'm Germans in an armor heavy engagement, and I'm using the force I bought.

The map is a most unpleasant surprise

for a tanker, being mostly a heavy urban area

straddling a wide defile crossed by four bridges, which are the sole VLs. The two outer bridges are tied to a kind of ring road, while the inner ones are paths to the heart of the city and do not have straight through approaches. Nearby buildings could well lead to unpleasantry for whomever tries to cross.

Naturally, the fog makes it impossible to see all the bridges from a common location, which would be possible in normal daylight. I think this'll cause serious coordination problems as the battle goes forward.

That's all I have for now.

Regards,

John Kettler