I hate to say this, but I think I found a bug... A BIG bug...

Jeff,

I think the issue here is that Teutonicc was talking about squads firing on the HTs, and I think you may think he is talking about the squads inside the HTs. That's how I read it anyway.

[This message has been edited by jgdpzr (edited 02-13-2001).]

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

However, a halftrack should be easier to kill regardless of height simply because it is really only partially armored. I do not think the windshield can resist rifle rounds from any elevation.

At least the American halftracks (don't know yet about the Germans) had armored visors that could be dropped down over the windshield when the shooting started.

And as for hand grenades, their explosive charge is relatively puny compared to artillery of any caliber. So to get a kill, they've either got to get inside through an open hatch or otherwise hit exactly a weak spot. As far as getting inside the vehicle, being tossed from a higher elevation would help a lot, even for a halftrack.

That said, it does sound from the general drift of the tests that people are reporting, that there may be some extra invulnerability for halftracks that has slipped into the program. But it is also possible that the "fuzzy logic" that Charles based the program on is skewed a bit towards reproducing some events more often than their appearance in real life would justify. I have been a staunch defender of the "**** happens" theory, and I think it still applies. But it might be worth a thorough review just to check whether it is functioning as intended.

Michael

Originally posted by joeski:

... when you write a program and test the living daylights out of it "No matter what" as soon as you release it to the users (me) your gonna have problems. Never fails.

Isn't it common knowledge that by definition bug-free software is obsolete.

(Note that in spite of this software with bugs not necessarily is up to date...)

Cheers

Olle

Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

Isn't it common knowledge that by definition bug-free software is obsolete.

(Note that in spite of this software with bugs not necessarily is up to date...)

Well, the theorem goes as follows:

Every piece of software is buggy and can be optimized.

This leads to the conclusion:

The best program possible is zero bytes long and still faulty. biggrin.gif

Dschugaschwili

After checking all of the dimpled ballots and a complete inventory of chads found on the floor of my workspace, the results are clear:

Former VP Al Gore would like the close assault of armoured vehicles patched by BTS.

Amazingly enough this too is my opinion.

Cheers

Murray

Guest kking199

I've become a lurker as I spend most of my time playing CM and hanging out at DoW, members.tripod.com/johnnocm, a great CM players club.

This thread is what is fantastic about CM and demonstrates how a forum can work.

I too had noticed in a 1.12 game US HT's being much more effective and Inf being unable to knock them out. I scratched it up to conditions, rain/dark and bad luck. This thread started with a legitimate issue voiced in a coherant/mature way WITH additional testing to verify theory. Nice work Jeff. Since then others have backed up this theory with personal games and more testing. Excellent.

BTS reads this and says... hmm, looks legit will look into it. I expect within a day or two we will get an answer to this issue(reluctant to use the word bug).

Long live the Internet!!

In contrast, and frankly I don't know how BTS puts up with it, we have the whiners who come on and complain about CM when in fact the problems is that they are simply bad players with lousy strategies and/or tactics!

I don't fear Uber weapons because I have never seen an Uber weapon in CM! Bigger they the harder they fall!! smile.gif

Great work guys, making a "Classic" game even better!

Kong

Bump it, can't understand why there's been *NO* BTS answer/clarifications...

I ran a test myself also - 5 US HT vs a german Rifle 44 Co without AT wpns.

The HTs just rushes OVER the German infantry... and well, in 3 games out of 6, germans are slaughtered ! frown.gif

It seems however that the infantry CAN KO much more easily a HT, IF doesn't move...In CM the TacAI keeps moving the HT to prevent that ! It makes some sense however...

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

Bump it, can't understand why there's been *NO* BTS answer/clarifications...

{snip}

Uh...on page 2:

Hello folks,

We are looking into this issue now. I'll post our findings when we actually have some

Steve

It's been less than 72 hours since that post. Don't you think we can cut them a little slack as they first have to verify the problem identify the parameters (all cases where it happens) find the coding issue(s) and figure out a response.

I'd say a little patience is in order.

--Philistine

Half tracks have become omnipotent. I am involved in a pbem game now, and my .50 cal position is peppering a German HT. I was quite surprised that it lived through the two turns...75m from my gun with clear LOS. Hmm, perhaps it's this bug you speak of, or perhaps my gunner is worthless. Cheers, John

Originally posted by John Kelly:

Half tracks have become omnipotent. I am involved in a pbem game now, and my .50 cal position is peppering a German HT. I was quite surprised that it lived through the two turns...75m from my gun with clear LOS. Hmm, perhaps it's this bug you speak of, or perhaps my gunner is worthless. Cheers, John

Hi John

It is my understanding that this issue is more closely related to the effectiveness of hand grenades and the close infantry assualt of the HT than its omnipotence to .50 cal MG's

I say this because in my experience in a scenario I tested in v1.12 playing the the 251 HTs against the U.S. .50 cal bearing HTs the U.S. HT's KO'd all the german HT's with in 2-3 turns, with only one or two U.S HT losses from MG fire from the German HTs.

So John I would predict that German HT that is under .50 cal fire "should" give it up within the next turn or two at the most. I'm not sure that the German HT's are any more impervious to .50 cal fire than they every were, but there seems to be some good evidence that U.S. HT's are now much more difficult to take out in a close assualt when your units don't have any fausts or 'shrecks handy, in other words rifles and grenades arn't getting the job done the way they used to. IMHO

-tom w

Originally posted by Stefan Wennerberg:

I put some barb wire & road block in a clearing surrounded by woods. I had several infantry units area fire at the wire for several turns. The wire ... is still there.

It's ok... You can't remove a roadblock or a barbed wire in the game. But you can clear minefields.

Originally posted by Xavier:

It's ok... You can't remove a roadblock or a barbed wire in the game. But you can clear minefields.

;)

I've been shelling the uberwire with 14 inch navel guns. The wire is ... still there!

I think we need to bring Rexford in on this to double check the math. Also, the game s "generic barb wire," I hope this is resolved in CM2!!

;)

I wrote this email to BTS today:

'I've been reading the Combat Mission forum, and there seems to be a bug in v1.12 regarding infantry assaults being ineffective against half-tracks. Is this the case and if so will a patch be released to address this?'

and this is the reply I got from Matt:

"We have been (so far) unable to replicate this bug. In tests I have done, Isaw infantry deal with halftracks quickly and efficiently. Testing continues though and if something truly is broke then we will deal with it like we have always done in the past"

Hope this puts everyone's worries to rest about what they are doing.