Why buy @ $50.00 ?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by argie:

Hey! Hidden Agenda is a little nice game too!!! A bit outdated with all black and white... But is fun to play from time to time smile.gif

And is abandonware, so you can found it for free in the Net... At least for Mac.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I miss Ancient Art of War, another piece of software first written for the Mac.

No Slappy, no real hidden agenda.

I was looking for some convincing, and new that I would find it, just didn't know how much. I've been married to long for my wife to care about how much time I spend on the computer.

Its just that I read about the Peng treads, cesspool, the gerbil-hamsters or whatever they are, and the guys with the sheep.

It's just that,

well,

I just,

I JUST WANTED TO START SOMETHING, OK? their I said it.

But seriously, I thank everyone for their comments and insight.

I usually buy games after they have been out for awhile, in the bargain bin, etc.

My internet connection is garbage, and when I do try to play on line all I ever find are people who want to go newbie hunting, are foul mouthed and generally dislikeable.

I am not a wargamer, just like puter games thats all, and I realize I am not the target audience. I do this just to get away from reality.

Before CM, I bought 6-8 computer wargames per year, spending $200.00 dollars per year on games that almost always collected dust soon after purchase. This pattern had repeated itself for more than a decade.

Since CMBO arrived at my doorstep, I have not purchased another game. This game has saved me tons of money by delivering a quality simulation product with tremendous replay value. Add to that the smart business decision by BTS to open the game up to independent mod development and you have a winning product offered at a very fair price.

I paid 120 Deutschmark, including shipping to Europe. To bring it to an international formula - 120 DM is ~120 cans of beer (0.5 liter).

I never regret the purchase - also because I haven't the time to drink the beer, anyway. I need it (and my neurons) for the game... :D

[ 07-16-2001: Message edited by: Scipio ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 0time:

No Slappy, no real hidden agenda.

I was looking for some convincing, and new that I would find it, just didn't know how much. I've been married to long for my wife to care about how much time I spend on the computer.

Its just that I read about the Peng treads, cesspool, the gerbil-hamsters or whatever they are, and the guys with the sheep.

It's just that,

well,

I just,

I JUST WANTED TO START SOMETHING, OK? their I said it.

I usually buy games after they have been out for awhile, in the bargain bin, etc.

My internet connection is garbage, and when I do try to play on line all I ever find are people who want to go newbie hunting, are foul mouthed and generally dislikeable.

I am not a wargamer, just like puter games thats all, and I realize I am not the target audience. I do this just to get away from reality.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fionn is not all that bad....

:D

The normal salemanship for CMBO in these threads seems to be tempered through repetition and wariness of trolls. smile.gif

All of the postive aspects listed in this thread are true and are based on the year or more of playing this game. They come from the large and vigorous fanbase the game and BTS has righteously earned.

The essential question is whether the topic of WWII small unit combat is of interest to the prospective customer.

I love this game, this forum, the modifications the artists make, and most importantly, the still fresh feeling I get from playing. New scenarios are constantly being created and this lifeblood has no sign of becoming anemic. As many have also posted, I would consider this to be a monstrously excellent and longlasting value for the purchase price.

If someone has any amount of the same interest in the history that can be transferred into a computer game, I can't see how it would not be a great value to them as well.

On the other hand, if my computer gaming interest did not stray from Fantasy RPG or puzzle games, and I could not care less for military history, CMBO might not have any appeal and I might feel the same way towards it as I would say "Myst". Different strokes so base the decision on your level of interest, not the dollar amount. Besides you can always make more money, but time wasted is gone forever.

After becoming quite disappointed with the gaming industry in general lately, it is still refreshing to have a game fitting our niche like CMBO and a company like BTS to back it up with the great prospect of creating more in the near future.

Where's the pre-order for CMBB!!!!!! I want it! I want it! I want it!!!

Sorry lost control there for a moment.

[ 07-16-2001: Message edited by: barrold713 ]

I am not a wargamer, just like puter games thats all, and I realize I am not the target audience. I do this just to get away from reality.

I don't think you will find your experience with CM similar to the one's you've described above. CM doesn't appeal to those who're underdeveloped either in intellect or maturity. You may well be handed your head by experienced players, but they'll give you some advice too.

A poor internet connection really isn't an issue since the game is played by emailing orders - something that requires very little band width, quite unlike a RTS.

In my experience the only other game that came or comes close to CM is TacOps. Yes, you're going to pay more than the cost of a game in the bargain bin. On the up side, as so many have said, you'll get so much use out of the software that it will be a bargain by comparison.

[ 07-16-2001: Message edited by: rob d ]

Completely off-topic there for a sec:

"Besides you can always make more money, but time wasted is gone forever."

Barrold, throw that Ben Franklin yada yada away and make this your new sig! Excellent... can I quote you?

first of all, let me say that Im in no way a grog. Other than the remnants of a childhood fascination with Battleships and airplanes, I didnt really know much about WW2, and especially about land war in WW2 untill I got this game.

I DO however love a good strategy game. Untill recently I had to deal with table top games for a good strategy fix.

CM changed all that. This game has more tactical depth than ANY other game out there Ive ever played (and Ive played a lot), with the possible exception of Star Fleet Command. So if you like strategy games or solving tactical problems, you should get it, and be damned to the cost. Its worth it.

However, I can understand that you might want some examplified proof. After all, even crappy (IMO) games like Battlecruiser 3000AD tend to have a rabid fan base that defends them till the cows come home. If you want an assessment that isnt simple the raving of the local loonies around here, I suggest you go to combatmission.com, and check out some of Fionn's after action reports. They are fairly entertaining reading in their own right, and they also do a really good job of detailing what a GOOD CM game is like. And they come with lots of pictures.

Speaking of rabid fanbases, has anyone ever played Anarchy Online or WW2 online? Sweet bejeebus, if you even mildly criticize the game all the fanboys just crawl out of the woodwork and berate you until you are a quivering mass of sobbing man. Just try and criticize I dare you x-x;

The powder keg of online gaming they call it!

I won't say you'll never buy another game - I'm going to.

I won't say you'll never PLAY another game - because I do.

I'm not a grog but I like the strategy and the way things can go from perfection to tits-up in 15 seconds.

Graphics are crap on the original game but mods make it look good.

So.

Don't buy it if you're not sure. Play the demo until you turn purple if you're not sure. smile.gif

I bought CM about a year ago, and I'm playnig more games now than ever.

I also bought Need For Speed High Stakes recently for my 7 year old son from EA's "Classic" series at NZ$30, that's about US$12 - it get's played once or twice a week.

I also bought Klingon academy recently for NZ$45 (US$20?) and played it exactly once, despite having been a demo grog when the beta first came out! And I never bought Shogun, again despite having been a demo grog.

CM has saved me a fortune!! smile.gif

Let's see. How can I break this down? And to be fair about it?

Is it possible the price of this game will come down after the new release is out?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well to be honest about it, actually I think BTS might reduce the price once CM2 is out. However, if you plan on getting CM2, then prepared to pay the same price as CM1 is now, so five on one hand, half of ten on the other. :D (Never could figure out why they say "6 on one hand...")

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I have the demo, played it a little, but it just never grabbed me in the seat of the pants like some other games do.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, so what does grab you by the pants? If it's a FPS, then CM won't do it for you. In my experience with skeptics like you is that they automatcially assume that since CM is 3D, they think that it will be a "twitch game" like Unreal or Quake. CM is a 3D wargame. Up until now, wargames have either been fought on a boardgame with cardboard chits or plastic pieces ala Axis and Allies, on a tabletop with pewter or plastic miniatures, on a computer in a birdeye's view 2D battlefield with digital chits or unit icons ala Steel Panthers, or in an isometric view ala Talonsoft's Campaign Series. So for the genre to finally go fully 3D has been a dream come true for wargamers.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I really have a problem with paying over $30.00 for a game, unless it is an impulse buy at the store, but CM is not in the stores.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got a problem paying $1.99 for a gallon of gasoline too, but it is a necessity. CM is a necessity for anybody that is avid wargamer. Paying $50 for a game that is this good, has the developer's support, has as much longetivity on a HDD, and has such a gaming community such as this is got to be worth every penny. There are many people who run out and buy any game at any price that has been hyped, such as WWIIOnline, and end up sucking. So if you want a quality product and quality support then CM is your bag of chips. If you want a bargain bin game, then you're looking in the wrong place. Basically you get what you pay for. $30 limit? Sheesh, I heard of cheap skates, but that is pretty bad.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The most fun about this game for me is coming here and listening to all the baffoonery that goes on. It's a blast, (so to speak).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah see, how much fun have you had on other games' forum?

Let's break this one down:

So how many of you guys are grog's.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm not a super-grog, but I do like things to be as realistic and as historically accurate as possible. I really don't care to discuss the muzzle velocities of a 88/L51 and a 76/L70, but I do know the difference between their use and power. And I do know the difference between a PzIVD and a PzIVG.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>And why havent I seen this game mentioned in other game forums?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well just like Joe Shaw said, you're just not looking in the right places. And as Rob "Panzerman" tried to say, is that most everybody that plays CM discusses it here. The only time it goes beyond this Forum is if we find another game that is trying to copy it.

Bah! I can't believe that would be an original thought but I'll give a thanks for the compliment and be gracious enough to see if I like it as a sig.

Sig...hmmm rhymes with cig....wish I had one...crap I quit months ago...bah!

eh..so, even though Ben is still correct, I was looking for a change anyway.

Thinking about the other forums mentioned, this one does well in comparison to many others I have seen. It is one place that provides assistance and a quick response to most every issue imaginable. Even those generally inclined to toast some newbie butt will provide some positive information along with the sarcastic retort. Outside of the Peng thread even the most paint-pealingest dumb question has the distinct possibility of being answered with both patience and accuracy.

Even the obnoxious 'my panthers die too soon this game sux' type of post are often handled so that the casual or new user can usually find something useful within. You have to be a special kind of knob to really cause any amount of ruckus than that here. Fortunately, for many reasons this is rare, and when these type of people become fully recognized as knobs they are dealt with adequately.

The new person then has a good relatively painless way to maximize the experience of CMBO and this free resource definitely enhances the value the customer recieves.