Doolittle Raid Reunion, Fresno, May 12

Never mind the B-17s, here come the B-25s!

16 flying B-25 Mitchell bombers and all 21 surviving raid participants team up to give Fresno what Tokyo had coming (hey, a good target is still a target)! Here's a link to the local talk show host promoting the event, and some great Mitchell close-ups:

Doolittle Reunion

I'll be taking pictures... for CM5 purposes, of course. Any CMers gonna be here?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

btw, gonna post the pictures anywhere? I got this B25 model just waiting to be built and I need the references!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I need a host (?hints?), but sure. There are some great paint jobs at the link above, btw. I'll let you know after the ceremonies... gotta scout out a good vantage point first. There should be plenty of other tasty vintages here, as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

I'll host on The Last Defense if you want. Just email me the pix and I'll have them posted tomorrow.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wilco, though we'll have to wait for the event.

Some dramatic B-25 nose art:

Sunday Punch

This one will be there.

I remember seeing somewhere the movie goes beyond the actual battle and extends to Doolittle's raid.Don't quote me on that though.

Of course they need that since the movie is 2 hours and 50 minutes long.There is going to be a lot of numb asses in the theatres at the end of that flick. smile.gif

-Monkeybutt

[ 04-29-2001: Message edited by: Monkeybutt ]

• 2 weeks later...

They're flying in!

A damn B-25 came in for a landing right over me as we were on our way to lunch today. At least one more, plus a B-17, were on the tarmac.

There was a P-47 (slobber), and what looked like (peering through trees and fence) a TBF Avenger torpedo-bomber with the rear-facing glass turret parked in front of the 17.

Yeee-ha!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Pearl Harbor covers the Battle of britain, the Pearl Harbor raid, and the Doolittle Raid.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Battle of Britain??

Bloody hell, as if Patriot, U-571 and Braveheart weren't enough, now those brave Hollywood Yank Soldiers are going to retroactively save Britain from the Hun as well??!! lol

[ 05-10-2001: Message edited by: Mike the bike ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

So, how long does it take to drive from LA to Fresno? :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where in LA and what time of what day? I can do Fresno to Glendale in about 2:45 without raising too many legal eyebrows, if I miss the rushes. Anaheim, three and a half, but anything can happen on I-5 between there and Glendale... you know the deal.

I'm going to see if I can snap a quick digital preview right now....

'Twas glorious. Also, hot and noisy.

Only 12 of the B-25s made it to town, and only 11 made it into formation today (one crapped out in the warm-up and parked it). You gotta hear those babies rev to appreciate it. Ma Deuce played a significant role, as most of the planes displayed the .50s in abundance (some of the Mitchells have the forward facing side guns, some versions don't).

Yesterday, they flew in formation to Monterey and dropped flowers for Doolittle's grave.

There were 3-4 Mustangs, a beeyootiful P47, Wildcats, Bearcats, and other blue carrier-type things. There was also the tres cool Avenger... I took one photo standing in the torpedo bay. Had your trainers and Stirlings, the C-46 China Doll... and the fighters are swarming over my office as I type this.

I'll be cropping and adjusting JPEGs for awhile... if anyone wants to host some of them, lemme know. If modelers out there want them on a CD, e-mail me.

(Drooling) 11 B-25s? 11 B-25s?!?! What I would pay to see that...my favorite bomber of all time...and the Doolittle Raiders.

MkIV, you are a very lucky man! Sounds like the event was very nicely done! Let me know where the pictures will be posted.

ARRGGHH! And I couldn't be there!