Tiger Plans?

rleete

I have embarked upon a project that some will find hopelessly mad, others dumb, and yet others downright silly. I am, in fact, attempting to make my very own scale Tiger I. :rolleyes: Something along the lines of a large go-cart for big kids who have never really grown up.

This was originally a dream of owning some authentic military vehicle. I know I am not alone in wanting this; how many of you, while playing with your plastic army men, wanted to drive a real tank? C'mon, 'fess up. We all would, at least for a day. Hell, that weasle that BTS has is just what I'm talking about. Lucky bastards. After countless searches, I had given this up due to the outrageous costs of these things. It isn't like you can justify them to the wife as a commuter car. And they aren't exacly common on the local used car lot. As an aside, there is a beautifully restored Hezter in Pennsylvania for only $125,000. Drool. Other tracked AFV's command similar prices, well out of my range. So, I decided if I couldn't buy one, I'd make my own.

This project involves making a tubular steel frame, covered in plywood panels. Hey, it doesn't have to withstand bullets, just look good. :D I chose the Tiger I due to it's relatively straight lines, and face it, it's the coolest looking one. Before any of us knew about sloped armor and penetration tables, we had all seen a Tiger and thought it was the neatest, meanest badass tank. Due to the extreme rarity of Maybach 12 cylinder engines in my neck of the woods, it will be powered by two small (5-8 HP) gas engines. These will be coupled to the drive sprockets via a variable pulley belt drive, as is found on snowmobiles and some atv's. Track links will probably be cut from used tires, reinforced with steel angle. Aircraft cable will be bolted to the links to make a continuous track. Drive sprockets will be made from ATV wheels, with lugs welded on. As many parts as possible will be scrounged from local junkyards. I'm looking to build this on a budget, and functionality will (generally) take precedence over absolute realism.

So, here is my quandry. I'd like to make this thing to scale. Somewhere between 1/4 & 1/3, or about 6-8 feet long. I have plenty of pictures of the real thing, but that doesn't convey the measurements. I need more info. Does anyone know of anyplace I can get scale drawings of a Tiger? Specs and dimentions are what I'm looking for. Engineering type drawings would be best. Also, any drawings, technical sketches or information on the suspension, drive sprockets and tracks would be helpful. Failing this, I'm going to take dimensions off a small (1:32?)Tamyia model I built years ago.

If anyone has any scale drawings, technical information or detailed pictures my e-mail is in my profile above. If you know of any really good sources, please post. If you are in the upstate New York area, (and are also slightly mad) and would like to help with the construction, e-mail me and we can discuss it. I hope to post pictures of the ongoing and (eventually) completed project.

Sounds cool! Must admit I thought about similar stuff myself, with the only limitation being my total lack of knowledge on the subject of construction of anything more comples then a spice rack!

I always dreamed of building and flying a to-scale WW1 fighter. Something about these things seems awfully romantic to me.

This sounds kinda like one of my projects in school. Me and a buddy managed to convince our drafting teacher to fork over $210 for that 1/16th scale Tamiya KT, so this school year should be quite an enjoyable one. BTW, I have seen several sites of people who made 1/4 scale Panthers and Tigers. I can't recall their addresses, but it's certainly doable.

Hello

The best place on the web for the information your looking for is David Byrden's Tiger I page at http://tiger1e.com/

Between this site and the various scale drawings available on the market you should find the info you need.

As for large scale models there have been a number of modelers who have done the same thing. There is one guy who built a Stug III in the same scale your thinking of. If I remember correctly the model was so big that the guy had to build a garage.

I have forgotten where I've seen the pic but if you post on Missing Links (http://www.missing-lynx.com/) or Track Links (www.track-link.net - this one is down until the end of sept) I'm sure some one will have the link.

Later

I'll need to look for the sie reference at home, but there is a shop in Florida that makes replica AFV's. They have done a really cool German Scout Car (8 wheel-drive, etc, etc) for around 20-25K (a great retirement toy, no?), and last I read the site, they were looking into building a replica Panther.

Now if I could just find that damn site again...

I recently saw an article where someone did a 1:1 scale M2 Lee from plywood in his front yard (much to his wife's horror). It looks really really cool. For accurate Tiger plans do a search for books under the name Jentz and Doyle (or Doyle and Jentz). If there's anything out on the web there's book with quality Tiger I info.

Commissar, you are welcome to come up to this end of the state and be used as an unpaid laborer! No skills required, just enthusiasm. tongue.gif

I already have a Tamiya KT, but it's too small. Unpainted but assembled and it was fun for awhile. The new T1 kit is nice, but way out there in price. I want something big enough to ride on, or preferably in. I'd go for full scale, but the wife has set a limit. Must be built in the garage, out of sight of the neighbors.

I've done all the searches I can stand, but most "plans" are 1/35 scale drawings for making plastic models. The tiger1e.com site is great for pics, but I'm hesitant to purchase their plans until I can get a taste of what is included. That Stug is awesome, but he still can't ride it. I will be lucky to have mine turn out half as nice.

Okay, updates: the steel subframe idea has been shelved in favor of laminated plywood, reinforced with fiberglass. There probably will still be some steel reinforcing in the floorpan, but the majority of the structure will be wood. Cheap, and easy to work. I have ordered 5 gallons (!) of epoxy, as well as fiberglass matting online. I have picked up 4 sheets of 4x8x1/4" luan plywood, assorted angle braces and hardware. Today I worked out a simple but effective suspension system using galvanized pipe. As soon as I decide on the scale, construction begins!

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: R_Leet ]

Here is a page that covers the Bovington Tank Museums efforts to restore a captured Tiger1.

Tiger Tank 131

They basically are restoring a Tiger to fully working condition. It has cost them £96,900 initially and a further £28,000 to cover some mechanical difficulties they have run into whilst installng a new engine in it.

If you have some lose change, they are looking for donations.

Lt Bull

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by R_Leet:

[QB]the steel subframe idea has been shelved in favor of laminated plywood, reinforced with fiberglass. There probably will still be some steel reinforcing in the floorpan, but the majority of the structure will be wood. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this a static model or are you planning to actually drive this thing? I don't think fiberglass and plywood will hold up on anything but a driveway. How do you intend to steer it?

More updates: I ordered several books, based on the recomendations here and on some of the sites. Thanks to all who contributed. To date, the biggest stumbling block is how to get fully proportional speed control. Right now it's either stop of full power. No, I'm not sure it will be strong enough to take the stresses, but if it doesn't, an inner frame can always be added. Only one way to find out! BTW, anybody out there like to help me with a web page for this?