Band of Brothers puppchen?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gaffertape:

Saw Episode 3 of BAnd of Brothers the other night and saw what looked like a 37mm AT gun firing some kind of hollow charge stuck in the end of the barrel.

Is this the oft-discussed puppchen (or reasonable facsimile?)

GAFF<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Err, I would suspect it is a 37mm AT gun firing a hollow-charge round stuck in the barrel, not having seen BoB. Called Stielgranate 41, or somefink.

No, it isn't. The German 37mm AT gun had an option where it could fire a hollow-charge rocket off the end of the barrel, pretty much as was shown in that episode. The puppchen looks like, well, a beefed up panzerschrek on a wheeled carriage and an over-sized splinter shield.

B

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barticus:

No, it isn't. The German 37mm AT gun had an option where it could fire a hollow-charge rocket off the end of the barrel, pretty much as was shown in that episode.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, Germanboy is correct. The Stielgranat 41 was not a "rocket". It was a spigot round - it had a rod, inside its body which went down the bore of the weapon from the muzzle end. A large blank cartridge was inserted in the breach and fired. The gases released from this then shot the Steilgranate 41 off the end of the barrel.

Range was limited but it had a reasonable, if not spectacular penetration.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Did it look like this:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The difference I see is the projectile in the movie has large fins on it. Also, the range in the movie was not too great as they just fired this rocket across the road at one soldier and it had already started a downward trajectory before making it to the other side. smile.gif

I have a photo of the 37mm Pak with the Steilgranate 41 attached and it has large fins and tapers from a big "head". I will post the pic (from The Battle of Kharkov,Jean Restyan, just published by JJ Fedorowicz) if my isp will cooperate. i had really never heard of this combination weapon until BoB, but since it exists, it seems like the type of light support weapon FJs might have had. By the way you can just make out the 17th SS Gotz von Berlichingen PG Division unit symbol on one of the "Stugs" in episode 3, see here:17th SS Pg

OK, here is the photo: 37mm_Pak_with_Steilegranate_41.jpg

The book this is from is a superb rare photo collection from the Kharkov battles 42-43.

As far as Bob, I think they have done very nice attention to detail so far. I have to think the Jagdpanther was intended to be a Stug or Marder in that fight and will show up later when it is more appropriate.

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: highlife ]

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: highlife ]