Plastic Tanks

London Sunday Times

January 28, 2001

Army May Get Plastic Tanks

Plastic tanks, once the playthings of schoolboy generals, could soon be

issued to the British Army, writes Emily Milich.

The Advanced Composite Armoured Vehicle Platform (ACAVP) has passed its

field trials and is being studied by Ministry of Defence officials.

The vehicle, Europe's first plastic tank, is almost invisible to radar. It

is also lighter, faster and easier to transport by helicopter than heavy

steel tanks.

The ACAVP, built by Vickers and the Defence Evaluation Research Agency, will

now be studied by ministry testers in a "scientific environment".

The tank's weight of about 24 tons is 10 tons lighter than that of a

similar-sized steel Warrior fighting vehicle. The ACAVP can therefore be

flown rapidly to war zones and is more mobile across countryside at up to

50mph. The plastic body makes it more difficult for radar to detect and cuts

its fuel consumption in battle, thus reducing the need for supporting fuel

tankers.

Plastic will be much easier than steel to repair on the battlefield and the

makers claim that the tank's epoxy resin and glass-fibre hull is as

shell-resistant as its metal equivalent.

Christopher Foss, an armoured warfare expert at Jane's Defence Weekly, said:

"It's safer for the crew because you don't have metal fragments flying about

if the vehicle is hit."

Europe and America want smaller, faster vehicles to replace the huge tanks

built for possible war with the Soviet Union in the 1970s and 1980s. The

ACAVP is one of several projects being worked on, some with the American

military.

Not a bad idea I guess, but I can tell them from experience to be careful as to how they store them, else the barrels get bent. smile.gif

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

Originally posted by gaffertape:

It strikes me that shards of hardened plastic would be just as dangerous to the crew as bits of metal, but I'm sure the experts have looked into that.

Anything's better than the magnesium plates on the Bradley, right?

wink.gif

GAFF

I would guess that the plastic would be designed so that if it fails to deflect the round it would "melt" rather than shatter.

I wonder what the claim that it is as "shell-resistant as its metal equivalent." actually means.

Is a "stealthy" tank really that important? Most AT weapons (even missiles) are either infrared or visually targetted. Very few use radar.

Jeff Heidman

Plastic shards may well be as dangerous as metal ones, but I sure wouldn't want to be the medic taking care of one of those crewmembers.

Shrapnel surgery with shrapnels that don't show up on x-ray you, is _not_ an enjoyable experience.

Gruesome.

Sten

Originally posted by Gen. Sosaboski:

Nothing resists the 30mm on the A-10s (GAU-8A). wink.gif No thanks, I'd take my chances in an M-1A1.

30mm DU shoots through an M-1A1 anyway -- all attack and no defense, even with the new Uranium armor updates on the A2. The "plastic tank" (actually epoxy resin) would be just as dead, but have a lower heat signiture, be smalle, faster, and stealthy to beam riders.

Epoxy hulls do not fragment but vaporize when overmatched, leading to nothing that will fly around the hull. When a shell does not penetrate any spalls are minor becuase their weight is low compared to their cross section.

Originally posted by Pvt.Tom:

How many countries use radar to detect tanks? You can see them and hear them from miles away how important is the invisible to radar thing?

I don't know how often US/NATO opponents would be able to field the technology, but the J-8 JSTARS was the single most important asset in the destruction of Iraqi ground forces as it painted a radar picture of all the vehicles on the ground and their movement. This enabled target taskers to put aircraft on the targets and helped the ground assault to know the main areas of resistance. So to answer your question, radar is very important in modern ground combat.

Originally posted by Terence:

Another amazing development from the UK. First Chobham armor, err... armour, now this.

Why are the British so good at tank armor.

I think it is the whole teeth thing. If you had teeth like a Brit, you would not want to leave the house at all, and could spend time developing all that armor and the like. Note how white they all look. Now Scots and Irish have good teeth, which is why you never hear of great tank armor coming out of those countries, while the US merely scours the country for people with bad teeth to assign to R&D.

I see no reason why materials other than steel, should be used in the construction of tanks.

After all we now have infantry helmets which are made of reinforces nylon which are stronger than their steel predessors, but light enough to wear all day.

I think that with the increasing cost and sophistication of warfare we are going to get tanks which are the technical equivalent of fighters jets on the ground.

This will mean that we can afford to use more exotic materials in them. Steel is basically used in most applications because it is cheap and easy to make.

It's properties are in fact nothing special wood for example is much strong than steel of equivalent weight.

Carbon fibre is in a different league with the same strength as a hardened steel but 1/5 the weight.

As for radar sensors sysytems like Jstar and ASTOR are used to pick up things like armour advances. Plastic vehicles would not show up nearly as much.

Also on vehicles like MBT's the armour would still be composities but they would be mounted on plastic or carbon fiber frames.

If we change the turret for an unmanned version and move the crew into the hull, and then make the vehicle entirely out of composites and titanium there in no reason why we can't half the weight of a MBT.

Originally posted by Pvt.Tom:

How many countries use radar to detect tanks? You can see them and hear them from miles away how important is the invisible to radar thing?

The US does, for one. It's not so important (now, at any rate) in a tactical engagement, but it is very significant behind the FLOT. Think "identifying targets for arty/aircraft" and "determining enemy plans/intentions."

Edit - I missed Vergeltungswaffe's post above. I know various NATO nations were investigating helicopter-based "lightweight JSTARS" type platforms a while back.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

[This message has been edited by L.Tankersley (edited 01-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by L.Tankersley (edited 01-30-2001).]

Originally posted by Terence:

Another amazing development from the UK. First Chobham armor, err... armour, now this.

Why are the British so good at tank armor.

The Brits were the first to put tanks on the battlefield. Hell, maybe its in their blood.

-Head

------------------

"No man ever won a war by dieing for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

-General George S. Patton, Jr.

I'm sorry I'm such a visual guy

but...

is there a picture any where that we can look at?

I'm having a very hard time imgineing a olive drab green/grey plastic tank?

any web pics you can show us or direct us to?

or is the whole thing TOP secret

how does a plastic tank fire its main weapon?

is it made out of plastic too?

about about the ammo? Plastic?

what in the tank is not plastic? the engine?

I'm a little confused about this?

(mostly because I just can't picture it)

thanks

-tom w

Actually, this isn't that unusual. I got a bunch of plastic tanks sitting in a case at home. They are only 1/35 the size of real tanks, but they are made of plastic (except for the photoetched stuff and other assorted metal squiggly bits.)

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

I'm sorry I'm such a visual guy

but...

is there a picture any where that we can look at?

I'm having a very hard time imgineing a olive drab green/grey plastic tank?

any web pics you can show us or direct us to?

or is the whole thing TOP secret

how does a plastic tank fire its main weapon?

is it made out of plastic too?

about about the ammo? Plastic?

what in the tank is not plastic? the engine?

I'm a little confused about this?

(mostly because I just can't picture it)

thanks

-tom w

No, it is a design and a bunch of test bed vehicles. Some items are not made from steel and cannon be made from epoxy or carbon resins, so parts will be steel.

I remember browsing a magazing " Military Modelcraft International" last year which had as photo of the test vehicle... looked a bit like a cross between the Warrior IFV and FV 432 APC.

The article went on to say that the benefits of the plastic armour vs aluminum armour was an increase protection level of between 8% to 15% for the same thickness level of the Aluminum plate, reduced wieght of vehicle , increased speed , or the option of adding more plastic armour and increased levels of protection without a noticable increase in the overall weight.

There was also an article in the Sunday Times 2 years ago reporting the same technology and their ( Alvis/ DERA )experimental research in providing the vehicle with a "boost pack" to allow it to jump anti tank obstacles....i know it sounds Jame's Bondish smile.gif.

It will be interesting to see if this armour technology appears in the US Army 's FCS .

Regards

MÃ¥kjager smile.gif

------------------

Once an Ubërcabbage

Always an Ubërcabbage

That is a great idea! And if/when they get damaged, they can be fixed with a few Lego bricks! Spectacular!

And just think what it means to camoflage! If you add no pigment to plastic, then it is totally transparent, plus the crew has a perfect visibility to outside!

Originally posted by MÃ¥kjager:

Tom smile.gif i have just emailed you a pix of the ACAVP vehicle that i found biggrin.gif

Can ye host it so as the other interested lads can have a gander ?

Regards

MÃ¥kjager

no problem

my pleasure

thanks for the pic

so this is the "plastic tank" ??

IR-acavp.jpg

thanks

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 01-30-2001).]

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

no problem

my pleasure

thanks for the pic

so this is the "plastic tank" ??

thanks

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 01-30-2001).]

But remember that this is a test bed -- and the end product will be a MBT armed with a modern cannon and a range of APCs.

Note the flat wall test vehicle has no stealth characteristic on it yet EXCEPT for its composites.