New Voodoo drivers 2-21-2001

And probably the last:

http://212.250.187.36/drivers4.html

Here's what I ganked from Voodoo Extreme's site:

"The x3Dfx folks have released some new Voodoo4/5 drivers (thanks Michi) that correct some FSAA problems featured in the last release, plus also add some new Direct X 8 features. (download them here). Here's the juice:

We have released a new Win9x and Win2K driver that fixes the FSAA problem in the previous release. This is the only modification that has been made to these drivers.

Here is a summary of what was added to this driver in the previous release:

Support for the following new DX8 features:

Developers can now program multisample (or T-buffer) effects using the DX8 API.

There is support for hardware accelerated pointsprites.

The type of multisample support used by the DX8 SDK samples in fullscreen mode can now be selected using the dropdown box provided.

The drivers had numerous bug fixes but we lost access to the database, so we can’t detail them. Know problems fixed include D3D issues with multitexturing, wireframe support, frame stuttering in windowed apps and texture corruption issues.

The effort in the last release was concentrated on adding DX8 support and new features first. Performance optimizations were not specifically addressed.

I would just like to thank you all again for your support. As I said in the last announcement, we are now doing work of a new company and that leaves no time of any future driver work. If a major problem comes up, we might try and give support, but no promises.

"

I'll second that. I have a Voodoo 3 3000 and everything seems to be working fine at the moment. While I'm happy to update if necessary I'm reluctant to install new drivers that might cock up something that's OK now. Are they supposed to improve much?

Hey Tiger, you tried em out yet? I was gonna use the last ones, but then held up when I saw your note that they messed up your FSAA. I see they fixed that, but figured I'd just hold on to them till I see what you make of them.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Hey Tiger, you tried em out yet? I was gonna use the last ones, but then held up when I saw your note that they messed up your FSAA. I see they fixed that, but figured I'd just hold on to them till I see what you make of them.

ditto

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Hehe, we vote Tiger take the "point" position.

Don't worry though, we're right behind ya. biggrin.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 02-22-2001).]

I installed them yesterday and the new drivers seem to work fine. The problem with fsaa has been fixed from the screw up of the previous "last drivers" release. No problems so far. Fom the release notes it seems they went in and added a few DX8 improvements and alot of bug fixes from the last drivers.

Tiger

OK Tiger, 2 questions.

1. Has the mouse dropouts in the 2d screens been fixed?

and MOST IMPORTANTLY

2. Has the esc to desktop get back into the game to see garbled text problem been fixed?

OK, I lied, one more.

3. Are there still problems with video memory being swamped in large battles, high resolution mods, high resolution desktop, 4x FSAA, and plenty of rain? Problem manifests itself as whiteouts usually where trees and tree bases were.

Okay, Tiger's giving the all clear. I'll just sneak on out there a little over this ridge and...(visions of an hidden Jumbo position to my front, while Tiger is off in town scouting the local tavern). biggrin.gif

Okay, I'll give em a try then. Like ya say, these will probably the the last horaah.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 02-22-2001).]

Originally posted by Juardis:

damn! frown.gif

I had done a quick test to check for the garbled text which wasn't fixed. I should say after more time using the new driver that there is a definite improvement in framerates in CM as well as CStrike and Nascar4.

Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone grabbed the Voodoo 3 3000 drivers? I have got the latest 1.07.00 from the 3dfx website but when I installed directx 8 it indicates the driver isn't certified. Do the new drivers fix that and more importantly, do they create problems elsewhere?

I am also a little concerned that the site contains a 'These are Beta only' disclaimer.

After reading this thread, I am not sure if it is worth getting.

So can somebody fill me in. Does it cause more probs than is worth. Or does it fix this voodoo5500 I got???

Another thing I just bought the Hidden & Dangerous Devils Bridge and the damn game keeps locking up. Will this patch maybe help???

I don't understand H&D Devils Bridge is the only game I have probs with. I have over 20 games now and all work fine except this one.

Even H&D original works fine, I have reinstalled, shutdown all background programs with no avail.

CM also runs fine, but I have never had probs with CM.