CM History Thread

jd

With the success of CM:BO we have had a lot of new members. A number of threads, Age, what computer , where are you from, are cropping up again. Also there are a number of references that we use that may not have a familiar context.

I thought it'd be nice to share some bits of history that many of us share and hold collectively that newer members may not have seen before. Things like some of the original Alpha graphics, or even the beta graphics,Then there is the "original" beta version opening movie (which I have and can send to some one if they want to create a CM archive) and my alltime personal favorite: Combat Vision

PeterNZ came up with this, and I do not know if he plans to complete this but I always felt that this was one of the most original and creative CM related projects. Go to http://combatvision.panzershark.com/ and download our brave boys in France.

I invite you to post any memories (ahh those "refreshing monkeys") or links to CM arcana sitting out there in cyberspace...

[This message has been edited by jd (edited 02-27-2001).]

Originally posted by jd:

Then there is the "original" beta version opening movie

Hell, I'm still having a hard time seeing the ORIGINAL movie in CM.

How do I view it? What are the commands to view and unview the movie?

Thanks in advance!

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

Re: opening movie.

There may be somefink beyond just holding down "shift" to turn it on and off. When I first got the game and later after my HDD died a krewl death I had to reload Quicktime 4.somethingorother before it would play.

So: get the lastest QT and try again!

O/T: What's with all this history, jd? You gunning for Official Cesspool Archivist or somefink?

Evenin' folks

The movie is saved in Quicktime, so you need to have it installed to run. I believe v3 will run it, but v4 is faster and less 'jerky' (not beef) due to memory enhancements.

I love that movie and watch it every time I start up. Was it staged or are they clips of test play or something?

I will pop over to PansyNZs site to watch the original. Didn't know there was one one, so that's a nice surprise.

StR

On a side note, what's happened to Robbe/wun?

hm...let's see.

i wasn't here for most of this stuff but:

board crashed a couple times...

aars...

refresh monkeys...

ss are overpriced monkeys...

somefink...

fionn banned...

russellmz joins board...

BTS' staff doubles in size...

peng thread...

deanco interface mod...

subdued vs hypercolored crowds...

cm hit(drinks)...

awards 5 or 6 hundred times...

beta tcp/ip patch...

i start a list of faqs...

woot...

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Originally posted by Murph:

This happened before my time, so I've always wondered, why did Fionn get banned? He obviously is a valuable contributor at CMHQ.

Anyone?

Murph

You realize that just by asking that Madmatt will have to ban you!

------------------

"I send you a kaffis of mustard seed, that you may taste and acknowledge the bitterness of my victory."

"Legal advice is very often divorced from reality in my humble opinion" - BTS

Wait up guys..

Combat Vision is something I worked on with Freelancal, (who hasn't posted in ages, I think he got a life or something).

We actually have cut footage for 'Gott mit uns' a gemran film, but the release of CM made us feel a bit redundent since we used CM beta grahics and i don't think we wanted to refilm!

Basically, this isn't an opening movie for CM or an old opening movie, it's an independent project, and one i need to get on top of again! How we did it is explained at the site listed above.

I need to get Freelancal to kick me, or get promises of pleasure from you lot to encourage me to finish and the move on to new things.

I always thought news reel of CMMC would be just fantastic wink.gif

PeterNZ

slacker.

------------------

"What do I care, I got laid last week" - Chupacabra

"Bjorn again are really quite good!" - Germanboy

- Official owner of the sig files of Dalem and Croda -

Peter......ya know I have been bringing this up every now and again, get on it boy! As for CMMC that would be a tremendous idea..... anyway, don't let the beta footage stop you. Actually you might be able to flesh it out with newer stuff and not really have much problem visually.....

If you haven't seen the film go to the listed in the first post , DL'd it and watch it. Then rag his sorry ass to get it done!

------------------

If frogs had uzi's, snakes woudn't mess with them so much. - Hiram

[This message has been edited by jd (edited 02-28-2001).]

My 1st CM memory?

Surfing the web one day..my guess is early 1998 someone correct me if I'm wrong..and went to Avalon Hill's site on the off chance that they were making ASL for the computer. There was a link to BigimeSoftware who was making CSL....Been a junky ever since...begged Peng to check it out,Alpha AAR,begged Peng to check it out again, Beta release,Peng finally checked it out, Beta demo played 8 million times PBEM, board crashed by monkeys, "Gold" demo, real game, more patches than I can count...the trophy...TCP/IP..the promised land.

------------------

"When they finally put you in the ground..I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down" Elvis Costello

Steveieboy.

It's not the graphics that are a problem..

the problem is I no longer have a registered version of QT4 and perhaps I really need a better movie editing program anyway.

Second is need to capture and use snazzy CM videos

Third is keeping them nice and crunchy-tight-small. If you can help with any of those I might be inspired!

PeterNZ

------------------

"What do I care, I got laid last week" - Chupacabra

"Bjorn again are really quite good!" - Germanboy

- Official owner of the sig files of Dalem and Croda -