Panther A Mod, Italy 1943/44

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me just relay what Audace was kind enough to let me know: He's asked Manx to post his mod on his site, and can't be sending endless e-mails to all of us, even those who beg/drool/plead, like me! wink.gif

So, we should all wait patiently...well, wait anyway...and get it when Manx puts it up on his third-generation site.

------------------

"Don't lie to me, Gustav! You're a stinkin' Mac user!"

Just loaded it off Combat Missions site! Looks great...........but, I noticed that the Number is 215. since iirc that bmp will flip for other side have you considered changing to either another number (808,111,101 etc) or placing the number on the rear. If you do be sure to advise us of updated bmp. Thanks

great work

Okay.

Now that we have the first "photo-realistic" vehicle, we need some modder(s) to get busy on the rest. 1 down, 200 or so to go, so start moddin'.

Anybody playing with this mod yet? I'm almost afraid to download it for fear that it just won't fit in.... smile.gif

Originally posted by jgdpzr:

Claus, IIRC, there was at least one major difference in the glacis of the D and A. The latter (except perhaps for the initial units which just had the turret revisions, not sure about that though, need to consult my Jentz book) had the ballmount MG, while the D just had a firing slit for an internally stored MG. It appears that this mod just has the firing slit.

You need that Jentz book wink.gif

The early Ausf. A had exactly the same hull as the Ausf. D. It is actually pointless to talk about an Ausf. A hull, since there was no such beast. The major change between the two Ausf. was the new turret on Ausf. A.

The MG ballmount came later, after Ausf. A production had started. The slit was replaced by the ballmount and the hull gunnes forward facing periscope was deleted. Ausf. A production started in August 1943 and the last Ausf. D was produced in September. The MG ballmount came along in late November 1943.

The confusion about this fact has lead to a lot of pictures being labelled as "Panther Ausf. D retrofitted with Ausf. A turret" indicating some kind of rebuild. As Jentz shows, these vehicles were in fact early Ausf. As. (See Jentz: "Germanys Panther Tank" p. 64)

Claus B