From the makers of the BER comes a new program idea. Your thoughts?

(I posted this under the BER topic but wanted to bring it out to draw a little more attention to it and see what you all thought)

Bradleyh and are contemplating designing a very cool and FREE utility for managing CM Mega Campaigns that will allow a "Game Master" to assign generals to both sides, track force compositions, generate QBs using those compositions, do random events (breakdowns, strafing attacks, partisans, sabotage, etc), weather and time of day calcs, handle supply issues, have large maps big enough to break up into CM sized battlefields as required, etc, etc, etc.

In other words, you would gather up say a group of players who wanted to play a string of battles or operations, assign them to one side or the other and give them troops. The program would accept move orders from the "players" for their armies and then calculate and manage the data for you. Conflict/battle parameters would be provided by the program based on the troops present, surprise, weather, terrain, supply, morale, fatigue, location, objective and so on. It would then assist the GM in knowing what type of QB to create, how much and where to put the troops, and so on. The GM creates that QB file and notifies the combatants of the encounter. After the players fight it out, the results are entered back into the manager program and play resumes with whatever ragtag and battered bunch you have left (unless of course you get replacements and reinforcements).

This would be a cool and easy way of engaging and managing multiple players in a dynamic CM roleplaying environment.

I don't know. This would take some doing but we are up to it. Question though: What is the interest level? Anyone interested in this idea? Perhaps we should take a pass and spend the time with our families if only a few people are into the idea.

Regards,

TeAcH

Well Argie, perhaps we will hold off then for now and devote our energies elsewhere. Good luck to you on the project. Let us know if you need some help. The next version of BER (with secure mode) is due out in a few days and after that, we got some programming to do for work.

The Campaign Manager sounds like a fun project to work on. I can see it as also having a solo player mode where you could wage a campaign against the computer, having to deal with random events along the way.

Regards,

TeAcH

TeAcH

Ummmhhh... That is interesting, as I started this program a few weeks ago... From where you took that info?

Also, I will be really happy to work with Teach or any other with better skills in programming than me smile.gif

I'm doing this programming because all the programmers guys we recruited in CMMC are busy with programs with more visual oriented interfaces, like COCAT and COMES.

I'm working in a program that uses the Rules developed for CMMC as engine.

Right now I'm doing a Battle Manager, to help GMs to set up CM Battles or solve it without using CM (the ones too small or too biased). After that, I will move to a more complex system to help GMs to track Divisions' issues (Supply, Replacements, Vehicle recovery, etc.)

There are a lot of rules to encode... :(

Sorry Argie, I was thinking of COCAT I think. It is hard for us, the masses, to understand exactly what is happening over there with the CMMC. Will this stuff be available to the public, or is it for the select few who are actually playing in this most-coveted game?

Teach,

I think you idea is bang on. We have been trying to do a simplified Meta-Campaign and the load on the GMs is still high. A software support function that would keep track of units, generate large scale maps, generate tactical battles as well as logistics etc would be very helpful. I think you need to write it for a set of rules (already written or do your own) which address the complexities of playing at a higher level. For example one thing in our game we modeled was communications. All traffic goes thru the GM, that way if a unit is cut off Bde cannot pass direction to it. This is a small example if you want to see the concept rules for the Bde Game just let me know and I'll send a set along.

No problem, Panzer smile.gif

For knowing more on CMMC, and getting the last COCAT (COMES is not available for public, as is a GM's tool), and the last rules set, go to <A HREF="http://www.combatmission.com/CMMC/cmmcfront.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.combatmission.com/CMMC/cmmcfront.htm</A>

Also the Forums used to communications in the CPX are at http://www.delphi.com/cmmcallied/start http://www.delphi.com/cmmcaxis/start

Capt, for communications you could try the Forums. Are easy to configure in small scale communications system and you could give the players variable access according with the operational situation.

I could give you a little document I wrote about setting communications for CMMC through Delphi's Forums if you like.

[ 05-31-2001: Message edited by: argie ]

Scooter - we always add an option to uninstall. There's an option with the BER via InstallShield. If there is a bug, we will fix it and release a new version/patch. Don't you worry about that.

TeAcH

There's another topic thread running titled "Badco uninstall?" Both v1.0 and v1.0.35 are uninstalling fine through "Add/Remove Programs." I've tested this on W95, W98, and W2K Pro.

If you can give me some details, I'll be glad to do some research.

Please continue with this program! This would allow mulitiple groups of players to engage eachother and work together to achieve the goal(as if you didn't realize that already! smile.gif I would definitely use this!

Much thanx,

jake