My CM pet peeve.

There is one thing about Combat Mission that stands out in terms of annoyance factor.

Someone who designs a scenario and makes ALL the units on one side the same experience level.

Is this really realistic? I understand that the exp. level of a squad is the average of all the squad members, but don't some soldiers usually stand out as veterans or raw recruits.

The other thing is that having varied exp. levels makes you use different units for different things, for example I might put my most experienced Platoon at the Schwerpunkt of what I assume to be my opponent's path of advance, and leave my less experienced Platoons farther back.

Anyone else dislike this?

LOL! My brother did this very thing with the first scenario he made. He had a ton of paratroops from all three nationalities and they were all like elite or maybe crack experience. He gave them about a million tanks and some 14 inch navel guns!

It was really funny 'cause I know exactly what was going through his head. He just plopped his ass down in the big virtual sandbox and opened up a brand new Marx WWII play set.

He had so many forces in that scenario I had to eventually stop playing cause my comp bogged down quicker than a Pershing in a buffalo wallow.

I think alot of first time scenario designers get carried away with all of the toys that are at hand and forget the little details such as troop experience and the little and big historical nuances that go into the making of them. Most will eventually learn. And maybe some won't but they'll be smilin' from ear to ear just the same. 'Cause this is the best damn set of toy soldiers we've ever been lucky enough to play with.

Mord.

The cool thing with CM in using it as a virtual toy set is that cleanups aren't necessary! Also, when (not if) you lose, you can't break your toys when you throw fits! Just start beating the desk and not the computer!

I do like scenarios that have different experience levels, even within platoons; I think that all of those designers who use platoons with 2 regs plus 1 green for most late '44 Germans (sometimes with a regular, sometimes a vet, leader) have really hit on an accurate way of simulating German troops of this time frame. Round it out with a couple of grn/grn/reg platoons and a rare vet/vet/reg platoon and you have a very cool challenge for the German player.

2 nights ago while under the influence I decided to plop 50 Pershings up against 50 King Tigers on my test range.

It took my system about 4 mins to compile the turn (Athlon 800 Thunderbird) and then away they went. It was like the cival war with tanks! smile.gif

The pershings got smoked in 2 turns. 47 vehicles knocked out, killing 9 KTs.

So i decided to up the anty and put Super Pershings into the mix. 50 KTs vs 50 Super Pershings. They did better.

Killing 21 KTs but losing 49 vehicles in 4 turns LOL!

Gen