Tank Modeling (The small plastic kind) Question

Hello, I have been into modeling since I was a little kid. Iv'e done WW2 aircraft for years and would like to try my hand at WW2 tanks. No hobby shop around my area has them, so what I want to know since I am a proverbial tank modeling virgin, is what brands are the best and where can I get them (online?). Im looking for detailed models that do not cost a fortune. I cannot afford 120 bucks per tank(I saw one guy at a hobby show selling them for that). Im think more about 20-50 bucks cheaper is better: )

Any help is greatly appreciated. I would like to start of with Stuarts, Sherman, and PvIVs.

Thanks again!

Clinton

Here's a dedicated AFV modelling website http://www.missing-lynx.com/

Just bumped into this a while ago. Forums are there for tips from more experienced modellers and other types of boards. Also, an extensive gallery of people's models are posted for inspiration. And to answer a part of your question, I've never tried ordering online for my model purchases. This site though has links to a load of commercial/retail sites as well, but I've never followed them. If you're leery about ordering stuff online, would any of your local hobby stores do special orders? That's an alternative...

IMHO, the best AFV model companies out there are Tamiya (Japan) and DML/Dragon (Singapore?), and in that order. High quality kits at the prices you're looking for. For example, I've got a 1/35 scale King Tiger that costed me about $45 U.S. I bought a Panther G Late for $37. I don't remember any AFV kit from these two good companies go over $50 on the 1/35 scale. It is my opinion as far as the popularity of WWII AFVs go, German AFVs are at the top of the heap due to the huge amount of varieties and camouflage/color schemes available. Because of this popularity IMHO the companies tend to charge more for German armor, the Big Cats in particular. But as I've shown, quality kits can be had for reasonable prices. Of course, the larger scale i.e. 1/16 are higher detailed, etc. and will fetch a much larger price tag. If you want a remote controllable 1/16 scale Tiger I from Tamiya, well... you make more money than me :D

Might I also ask what scale you're interested in? 1/72 scale AFVs are of course cheaper but variety I think is dying out. 1/35 is the mainstream scale for AFVs and you'll find a huge variety. WWII German armor, Modern Russian Armor, and Modern U.S. Armor, from what I've seen the most popular.

You also stated for starters the Stuarts, Shermans, and PzKpfw IV. I don't remember the Stuart models much(just getting back into the hobby after several year break), but there are several cehap 1/35 Shermans out there. Tamiya has a early model Sherman 75 that I just saw... my guess it probably costs in the low 30s at most. Dragon and Tamiya have a bunch of PzKpfw IV models of many of the variants. Hell, if you wanted to you could build them and show the historic progression of the PzKpfw IV from early war "D" to the late war "J" models.

Allied armor IMO is woefully undercovered in AFV modelling while the Germans are covered very extensively. I'd have more luck finding obscure German AFVs than finding a Sherman kit at the hobby store unfortunately. But if you're into modelling German AFVs, then you'll like it.

Also, what may help to get variety or specific model AFVs not sold in a kit 2nd party companies make conversion kits too. Not experienced much with these since I'm a "straight out of the box" type and not skilled/hardcore enough for that stuff.

Don't mean to make this sound dumb to you, but I'm just makin' sure I've covered all the bases/intro for AFV modelling.

BTW, here's a link to Dragon if you're interested: http://www.dragon-models.com/html/modelf.htm

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: Warmaker ]

for the mkIV and stug models you can buy the latest Revell range.

They are all good models and very cheap.

Ask your modelshop for products and magazines from Francois Verlinden.

His company moved from Belgium to the states and he sells very good quality products and conversion kits.

You would love his tankcrews for instance.

In his magazines he gives very detailed info on various techniques like figure painting or camouflage schemes.

Have fun

Tamiya has some good details, but their prices are getting ridiculous. When I saw the price of the US tank transporter I almost fell over.

I find Dragon to be the best of the bunch. Itaeleri had better detail on their armour - compare their Sherman to Tamiya's - Tamiya had the proper casting marks on the M4A3 hull, for example, but none of the hatches had handles or periscopes; Itaeleri went the extra mile.

I hear the Tamiya Panther turret is underscaled, and some of their earlier kits are quite atrocious comparied to Dragon - check out their "German infantry" if it is still available - and avoid it like the plague (I mean the early kit with four figures only).

If you are serious about Allied armour, I would not look to Tamiya first - I haven't purchased a Dragon Sherman, but I suspect it would be better than Tamiya's. I have built both Tamiya's M4A3 and Itaeleri's 76mm armed Sherman, and give Itaeleri the nod.

Of course - if space and price are equal concerns, you might want to go with 1/72 scale; we have all been discussing 1/35 by default.

Ultimate Soldier also puts out a 1/6 Stuart that is ripe for detailing...

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Thanks for all the repleys. I ment to put this in General but in my hurry I screwed up. Sorry Board people! Anyways I'm looking into 1/35 scale. I realy want to do what to do what Warmaker said, show all the varients of a particular model throught the war. Thanks or your help. Im not scared to purchase over the internet I was just unsure about which brand was the best out there. I had heard of them just not sure which to go with. Thanks for the help. I really do appreciate it: )

Clinton

there used to be a Japanese company doing 1/48 scale AFV's, etc. Can't remember the name of the co., but their kits were remarkably detailed: I remember building the Puma, and the suspension and transmission alone had about 30 parts, not counting the wheels. On the comparable Tamiya kit, all you had to do was stick the wheels on lugs moulded on the lower hull. Airfix had a short-lived range of 1/32 kits.

My other point is: why do i no longer have the time to assemble 30-part transmissions for 1/48 scale afv's? :(

Even Kay-Bee and other toy stores have some models in stock, at least they did last time I checked. You might want to find your first armor model that way, or at least get an idea of what's available and what you like, then shop online. The only problem with buying kits online is you often don't get to see what you are actually buying. Some sites have pictures, but they may not be of the actual model.

Here is site I just found that has a nice selection and good info on the kits. I don't know how the prices compare though: Tower Hobbies

Here is another site with a good selection. This company sells a lot on E-Bay too:

Jim's Hobbies

And one more: Phoenix Models

Do a Google search and you will find tons of great sites.

Try a new Tamiya kit. The Stug IIIG Late is really nice. I built that last year. The Wespe is nice also, straight forward except for the gun assembly. The Tamiya Panthers are great too, make sure you get a new one. The Tamiya Tigers are great also, get a new one. You will need PE grilles for the Tiger, Stug, and Panther though. The Tamiya PzIVH and J are nice. Tamiya are great for starters and run 30-50 dollars a kit. But they are the nicesst offerings around, hands down.

Boy Recon I beleive the 1/48 scale models you are refferring to were made by Bandai. Most of the tanks and AFV's had comepletely modeled interiors as well and they made miniture small arms and troop packs in the same scale as to go with the vehicles. Very detailed as I remember. :rolleyes:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ramor:

Boy Recon I beleive the 1/48 scale models you are refferring to were made by Bandai. Most of the tanks and AFV's had comepletely modeled interiors as well and they made miniture small arms and troop packs in the same scale as to go with the vehicles. Very detailed as I remember. :rolleyes:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That not true I am working on a StuG IV right now that is only the outside along with the drives head and tank commander.

Never built the Sturmgeshutz (its been 15 years since I have built any models)but seem to remember building a 76 Sherman and a Tiger with the turret basket and interiors included(used to use them on an O scale railroad layout).Of course the models themselves might be different now as it has been quite awhile(I did not know if Bandai was still even making models). :confused:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzerman:

That not true I am working on a StuG IV right now that is only the outside along with the drives head and tank commander.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could be a newer kit, because I recall the Bandai Stug having a nicely done interior...I haven't seen those older kits in ages, though.