Help a New Guy out...

I just ordered my copy Monday. I understand what MOD are and player made scenarios are but I am a little confused on what CMMOs are and the winter * thing…. Also is there a particular sequence of things I should do once I get my copy? I know I should install the patch and I can D/L any scenarios offline and then simply place them into the correct folder. So for the MODS do I just copy them into the BMP folder and let them right over the original bmp? Are there any particular MODS I should upload first? I have a nice (fast) computer, so what is the deal with all the High-Res vs. Low-Res debate? I should just use the High Res stuff right?

Forgive my greeness!

Any and or all advice will be nice, thanks

Your CMBO CD should contain the latest version of CM, so no patch should be necessary. As far as mods go, check out some of the mod sites such as CMHQ, COMBAT MISSIONS, and Tom's CMHQ. There are plenty of other good sites, but you can start with these. The CMMOS program is new. It replaces the old batch file method of mod management, and should be easier to use and more flexible. Check out the threads on CMMOS for more info. When CMBO shipped it did not contain any winter unit textures, but it did leave spaces open for users to create winter textures. The winter bmp files are preceeded by an extra 1 in the file name, thereby enabling you to have regular and winter version of each mod simultaneously installed in your bmp folder. There are mods for just about every graphic file in CMBO, as well as many sound mods. Manx's COMBAT MISSIONS site has a list of most of the available mods. If you have a fast computer with at least 32MB of VRAM, then you will probably want to use the high resolution mods when available. The biggest processor hit is caused by the hi-res terrain tiles since they cover the whole map. The vehicle, weapons, and infantry hi-res mods are less of a burden, but they do add up. Most of the mods have preview pics so you can see what the mods look like, but back up your bmp folder before installing new mods so you can easily undo anything you don't like. Enjoy CM.

Your copy should arrive already patched to the v1.12.

Yes, mods (bmp graphic files) go in your CMBO/BMP folder. CMBO can only utilise one set of bmp files for each vehicle (though some vehicles share files) at a time, so new mods you install will over-write whatever graphics you had before.

What mods to install? Now there's a question that can't really be answered. Everyone has different tastes, but look out for anything by Marco Bergman, Tiger, Gordon Molek, Matthew Peterson, Maximus, Andrew Fox, Fernado, Magua, Gunslinger, DD, and many, many more.

Most sites will provide preview screenshots of the mods so you can get some idea of the quality of the work. Be your own judge!

HTH

Thanks, sounds like a good start....

Boy I am sick of playing that Demo, my wife finally let me have the cash to order the real deal! Bless her heart. If I play valley of trouble one more time I'll start having nightmares of German ambushes! I got bored today so I played as the Kruats and put the AI at max exper and 100% men bonus, that was kinda of fun. My MG buker had almost 200 kills, my lone panther took out 4 shermans and a panzercheck in the church took out 3 more shermans. I put that MG bunker in between the first two two story buildings facing the road, the stupid AI kept on running out in front of it, the Shermans couldn't find it to knock it out and when they came from behind it my check took them out! great battle, kinda of gamey but fun. Boy when you up the men bonus for the Americans it sure gives them a lot of ammo and smoke!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tread Head:

So what are the "classic" scenarios I should get? Any good ones out there I must have?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are to many to list but get all of Runes battle packs from Manx's Combat-Missions to start. Also get all of Wildbills scenarios, they are all over the place I don't even want to list how many sites they are on. (Note self promotion) go the the Scenario Zone (link below) and get the Normandy scenario Pack. Good luck in your future CM addiction. smile.gif

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

I'd stick with the ones that come on the CMBO CD 1st. They are all excellent and challenging.

Like Panzerman says -- there are just too many good 3rd party scenarios to choose from. Take a look at the links page on my site (below - note self promotion again! smile.gif ) for other CM sites that house scenarios and other goodies.

Just a few of my own personal favourite authors are : Frank M. Radoslovich, Wild Bill Wilder and Rune, but like mod designers, there are many great ones doing some quality stuff out there.

Edit - If you want a site that hosts a very comprehensive collection of scenarios then go to Adirmal Keth's SCENARIO DEPOT. It has links to most, if not all, available scenarios/operations.

Happy Huntin'

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: Manx ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Okay, listen to what you're mother told you and stay away from the Peng thread. Trust me, it's for your own good.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, don't start anther for or against Peng thread please!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Okay, listen to what you're mother told you and stay away from the Peng thread. Trust me, it's for your own good.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Deadmarsh, I served 7 years in U.S. Armor.... I can talk and take smack with the best of them. Thanks for the advice though.

Tread Head,

For MODS,

I'd suggest getting the newly released program called CMMOS on Manx's Combat Missions site. It can install mod options with just a few mouse clicks.

What this program does, it can install a whole series of mods with the same extensions. What are extensions? Extensions are suffixes that belong to a certain nationality. Such as textures which feature US markings are suffixed with a "_us" extension. Textures with French markings have a "_ff" extension.

There are many mods out there that have these extensions. There is some sort of mod contingium (sp?) that produces mods with these extensions. I am part of the beta testing group within this contingium.

Basically any mod by Marco Bergman, Gordon Molek, Shane "Feldgrau" Peterson, Maximus, PawBroon, and Fernando are suffixed like this.

The stock graphics, to be honest with ya suck. Marco, the local mod genius, has made excellent HIGH-RES Shermans of every make, Stuarts of every make, Greyhounds, & Trucks. Gordon is a guinee pig that likes to repaint them with snow and camo. Gordon wrote CMMOS to do all this swapping easily and quickly.

So I suggest you go check out CMHQ and Manx's COMBAT MISSIONS and grab everything from these authors.

But hold off for a while. There has been a TON of CMMOS compatible mods released , but haven't been posted yet. I myself, have a German Uniform set to be released soon. These are CMMOS compatible versions of mods already out there.

Also grab Andrew Fox's US uniforms on Tom's CMHQ. The German Uniforms will be contained with my CMMOS set.