Combat Mission 3

Goober the calender for future CM's is pretty well known - CM3 is to be Africa and Med including Greece, Cretee, Italy etc.

CM 4 is to be early war Europe - Poland, Low Countries, France, Yugoslavia??

Then there's to be a major re-write of the 3D engine.

A lot of people would like to see earlier period treatemnt of CM, but personally I don't think that the engine has the required features (from a non-techical knowledge level!) - close combat with edged weapons and massed black-powder formations are nothing at all like WW2!

For an excellent 3D semi-Napoleonic game I'd thoroughly recommend Sid Meier's Gettysburg - a fabulous game that deserved a hell of a lot more development!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

Goober the calender for future CM's is pretty well known - CM3 is to be Africa and Med including Greece, Cretee, Italy etc.

CM 4 is to be early war Europe - Poland, Low Countries, France, Yugoslavia??

Then there's to be a major re-write of the 3D engine.

A lot of people would like to see earlier period treatemnt of CM, but personally I don't think that the engine has the required features (from a non-techical knowledge level!) - close combat with edged weapons and massed black-powder formations are nothing at all like WW2!

For an excellent 3D semi-Napoleonic game I'd thoroughly recommend Sid Meier's Gettysburg - a fabulous game that deserved a hell of a lot more development!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and the Pacific front? What about the Pacif front?

Steve has said before that the Pacific was not his idea of a good place to work with the CM engine. I am not saying he wont change his mind, just reporting what he has already written on the list on this matter.

There is twelves years of mapped CM development ahead, ending in I believe a return to the ETO with the new engine more than a decade from now. It is pretty much what the Organ said with the exception of the return to the west front for the new engine.

That is the public information that is on the web.

• 5 weeks later...

This is what I thought I read (but could be wrong real real wrong!)

CMBO and CMBB current engine

CMBII engine re-write.

CM3 Africa and Med

CM4 Early WWII and CMBO redone in new engine with backwards compatibility with CM3.

CM5 Remake of CMBB with backwards compatibility with CM3 and CM4.

After that it is up for grabs.

This is just what I thought I read but regardless after CMBB the engine rewrite begins!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Priest:

CMBII engine re-write.

CM3 Africa and Med

CM4 Early WWII and CMBO redone in new engine

with backwards compatibility with CM3.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once you have the early periods of the European region done, it should be relatively easy to convert it to a Pacific game - all the vehicles will be basically present and most of the nationalities, with the obvious exception of the Japanese.

I wonder, do they intend to make it so that you could take weapons/units from one game and play them in another? That way it would be possible to do Korea.

Turning out a Pacific patch to either CM3 or CM4 would be pretty easy IMO.

What I'd really like to see is weapon/vehicle characteristics stored in a plain text data base which would allow me to change parameters if I saw fit.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

For an excellent 3D semi-Napoleonic game I'd thoroughly recommend Sid Meier's Gettysburg - a fabulous game that deserved a hell of a lot more development![/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen to that!!!!!!

;)

CMBII engine re-write.

CM3 Africa and Med

CM4 Early WWII and CMBO redone in new engine with backwards compatibility with CM3.

CM5 Remake of CMBB with backwards compatibility with CM3 and CM4.

After that it is up for grabs.

This is just what I thought I read but regardless after CMBB the engine rewrite begins!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, 12 years is a long period.

Just to make one thing clear guys and gals, CM3 will be the first game after the engine re-write. Steve has stated that fact many times. After CMBB the re-write starts!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're wrong and you're right. The rewrite will start after CM2 and will be done at the same time that CM3 is developed. But CM3 will use the current engine, not the rewrite.

EDIT: Note that this is not 100% written in stone, only a likely possibility.

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

I know CM has all the 3D models hardcoded into the application to speed up movie play and graphics display. I hope they make the 3D graphics individual 3D models the same way it now handles bitmaps. The coding of the way tanks or other weapons works wouldn't change, they would be hard coded into the game, but the models could be replaced.

Imagine a whole new world of 3D model makers replacing the lower polygon models with 4 times the poly count. Individual wheels, etc. Maybe even the avaliability to have as many 3D models for destroyed tanks as you want and have the game randomly pick a knocked out model. Could be incredible for those with 128MB video cards and multi-processor computers to show them. But standard users would still be able to play with the stock 3D models.

The really tricky bit would be textures, you would need to have each model linked to it's own set of textures so they map correctly to the different models. Individual road wheels compared to a roadwheel "board". You could even have true interleaved road wheels if you wanted.

Probably won't happen because of the textures mentioned above, but I think it's an idea that the mod sluts and bleeding edger's would love to play with, while keeping requirements reasonable for the majority of computer users that want to play the game.

just my 25 cents.

Scott Karch