HAPPY NEW YEAR, you S.O.B.'s!!! :p :D

Guest Lord General MB

Soldiers,

Maximus is right. AD is not "After Death" but something like "Adumis Domiticus" (thats not it but it sounds like that)

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord General MB:

Soldiers,

Maximus is right. AD is not "After Death" but something like "Adumis Domiticus" (thats not it but it sounds like that)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, which means, "In the Year of Our Lord."

I tried looking up what the Latin term is, but can not find it anywhere. Typed in "A.D." in an Internet search and didn't find anything remotely related.

Guest Lord General MB

Soldier,

Ya. It sound more like "Auidumiducus" But I really don't know so don't hold me to it.

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

Salve!!

PVT Ryan is correct. Anno Dommino

Let me now try out my first "Hi Mom" for the new millenium.

Hi Mom!!

Keep practicing the Lingua Latina. hehe

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Bottom line:

This millennium started Jan 1st, 2001.

A.D. means "Anno Domino" ("The year of our Lord").

Jesus was born in year 1 A.D (and died about 33 A.D, I believe).

And for the love of God, "millennium" is spelled with two Ns! And it's "one millennium, many millennia".

-Enfors-

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Enfors:

Bottom line:

And for the love of God, "millennium" is spelled with two Ns! And it's "one millennium, many millennia".

-Enfors-<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! I guess you sure told us. I agree about the new millennnnnium too. Is that really the Bottom Line Stone Cold Steve Austin?? smile.gif

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Enfors:

Bottom line:

-Enfors-<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AD = Anno Domini = Anni Domini Nostri Jesu Christi

The current year dating system (AD) used in the west was determined by a sixth-century monk, Dionysius. His system was not based on an accurate date of Christ's birth, which most scholars have determined to have taken place somewhat earlier (4-7 BCE are the figures I remember seeing).

In effect, the new millennium started a couple of years ago.

[This message has been edited by Marlow (edited 01-02-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Major Tom:

Theoretically, EVERY year is a millenium from some possible starting event.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're going to get that relativistic, you might as well say that every second is a millenium from one starting point wink.gif

Things like millenia may be artificial constructs, but they are handy reference points.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

What's all this waffle about time, religion and the meaning of life? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh puhleeeze!!!

Any cognizant bag of water and minerals on this planet knows that the answer to Time, Religion, the Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything<sup><tiny>TM</tiny></sup> is simply 42!!

Allow me to enlighten you:

Time is an illusion... Lunchtime doubly so.

And

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

And lastly

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexeplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

------------------

To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee...

[This message has been edited by Herr Oberst (edited 01-02-2001).]