HAPPY NEW YEAR, you S.O.B.'s!!! :p :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Oh yeah, one other thing, the Millenium started LAST year! Just as the 1990's started in 1990, not 1991. rolleyes.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maximus,

Mathematically speaking, I believe you are incorrect.

Supposedly, our calendar was made to begin with the death (and...) of Jesus. There never was a year "zero". It went straight to year "one". A thousand years makes up a millenium and it wasn't until 0001hrs, on January 1st, 1001AD that a thousand years had passed -hence the first millenium.

Tonight at one minute after midnight we enter the third millenium. Joy to all.

When we say "Happy Millenium", it truly is a wish for happiness -to all that want it.

Jumbo

Well, OK, but you mean to tell me that they started at Year 1 AT the time of death of Jesus? Or did they go to Year 1 a year AFTER the death? If they did, even though they may have not called it Year 0, then our current calendar had a year's worth of time before they reached Year 1, right?

The whole issue is really very debatable. When did the actual Year 1 begin? A year after the death, or at the time of death? And if it is death, then Jesus was born in B.C. which is paradoxial. But who the hell knows, right?

I think that makes sense.

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LONG life!"-Minsc, BGII

Actually the birth of Jesus was set on the year one.

So when the little fella turned one, the year was 2. smile.gif

Confusing stuff, but the reason is "simple".

When the date was set, the number 0 had not been invented yet. biggrin.gif

Really!

The number zero was only invented in the middle ages.

Even before that, a need for such abstraction was seen, but the

mathematicians couldn't come up with a good solution.

Hard to understand these days. I know I don't. smile.gif

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

[This message has been edited by Jarmo (edited 12-31-2000).]

Maximus,

You make sense. I believe AD began with January 1st of the year that Jesus was born and not the death.

I do know that sometime in the 300s AD, they did a lot of jury rigging of the Julian calendar (from Julius Ceasar) and came up with the Gregorian calendar. They actually threw away ten days. So, it all really isn't very accurate. It all may just be perception, like you said.

Can anyone lend a hand?

Jumbo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Oh yeah, one other thing, the Millenium started LAST year! Just as the 1990's started in 1990, not 1991. rolleyes.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Max your a day ahead again its only the 31st of 2000.Hehe tongue.gif

It was from the birth. But the whole system was only started several

hundreds of years afterwards. The first few hundred years were real

stiff **** for the christians, no authority would reschedule the

calendar to accommodate them.

It was done by papal authority when the christians had finally

managed to seize the power. The exact date was set by some

historian/scientists. Apparently they got it several years wrong...

It doesn't matter what event kicked off the first year. A millennium is 1,000 years and it started with year 1, so the new millennium starts on the first day of the first month of the first year of the third millennium. That's 01/01/01 - first, first, first - not first, first, second. There was no year zero, even if you think there was a period of time that should have been labeled as year zero. I saw your movie last night, Maximus (Gladiator). Pretty cool.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!!!

Originally posted by Jumbo:

You make sense. I believe AD began with January 1st of the year that Jesus was born and not the death.

Shatter here I am over at my Grandmother for this afternoon and I saw the speculation. A.D. refers to the day after his dealth.

Do not argue the point, I asked my Grandmother a church goer here whole life. She said the day after his dealth and frounded that I was not for sure.

Oh ya almost forgot HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

[This message has been edited by Shatter (edited 12-31-2000).]

I think that the sole question should be, is there a year 0 or not. It doesn't matter why this time era starts (ie. Jesus's death, birth, reserection, baptism or barmitspha (SP)) but, to wether or not there was a year zero. Millenium (in reference to time) means 1000 years. If there was no year 0, then the first millenium finished on January 1001 (ie. 1000 full years have gone by from the start date). Thereby, the next millenium would be 2001 (ie. 2000 full years have gone by from the start date).

Of course, we all know that it is really the year 2051, so the millenium passed by a long time ago.

Why don't we just admit that someone made up the calendar from their imagination, and the millennium, whenever it was, has no real significance – it's just a counting device. Oh goody, now we use a '2' at the beginning of our dates. The only effect that has is to screw up computers, except it didn't. The day of reckoning hasn't shown up, Christ seems to be late for his second coming, and the world hasn't ended.

Damn, that means I've still got work to do.

Consider the overiding reason that zero was not the first year; the west, at the time, was not aware of the number 0.

The Romans number system has no zero.

Our months are Roman in origin, and not one starts with day zero.

The Greeks had no zero. Which is why the "reasoning" behind Zeno's Paradox was so perplexing until Newton and company came along and explained zero to the west.

So, in terms of logic and historical awareness at the time, it was not possible to have zero start anything.

A Millenia is in thousand year increments, and is ancient in concept.

Hence, our millenia has never began with zero and never ends witha 999 in it.

Except, of course if you want to declare a millenia within the year enumeration system, then it is add a 1000 to whatever;, the Thousand Year Reich began in 1933 and was scheduled to last until 2033.

It, thankfully, and for far too long, lasted 12 years.

[This message has been edited by Wilhammer (edited 12-31-2000).]

Happy New Year from Jerusalem, all. As far as we're aware the Messiah did not walk through St. Stephen's gate tonight. Hope that's relevant to everybody's eschatological scenarios. In the meantime, everybody enjoy the world in its present phase. Cheers.

------------------

"I can't listen to music too often... It makes me want to say kind, stupid things, and pat the heads of people... But now you have to beat them on the head, beat them without mercy."

V. I. Lenin

Guest Rex_Bellator

What's all this waffle about time, religion and the meaning of life? The vital thing is that I've just lost my first TCP/IP game of the year. I blamed the hangover for my dismal performance, as it made a nice change from my usual excuses.

Happy New Year to you all, apart from the S.O.B. who's just whupped me of course.

------------------

"We're not here to take it - We're here to give it"

General Morshead's response to the popular newspaper headline "Tobruk Can Take It"

LOL! You guys crack me up! My father and I argued this point all the way up to our NYE party last night.

Shatter, your grandmother is way of base. A.D. is the acronym for the latin term, (whatever it is), meaning "In the Year of Our Lord", not "After Death".

But as for as this Millenium thing goes, I think Jarmo has it correct, after further analysis.

But after reading through the article Jarmo found, hell it's all a big freakin' mess, so who the hell knows what year it is, or better yet, what day it is??? tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

But in a mathmetician sense, you can see wher e I have come from, besides it took a mathmetician to come up with the Gregorian calender to deal with retaining the equinoxes where they should be by dropping Leap Years on century marks not divisible by 400, ie. 1600 and 2000 were Leap Years, 1700, 1800, and 1900 were not.

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LONG life!"-Minsc, BGII