How will CM: B2B handle large battles like kursk.

Now I know they arent going to design it with the same amount of tanks (I think 100,000 tanks total.) But even a small detachement of this battle would be huge, and I am wondering if B2B will have a faster engine to compinsate for the larger battles on the eastern front.

Now I know they arent going to design it with the same amount of tanks (I think 100,000 tanks total.) But even a small detachement of this battle would be huge, and I am wondering if B2B will have a faster engine to compinsate for the larger battles on the eastern front.

I think you overquote the number of AFVs involved in Kursk. 10,000 between both belligerents would be a closer number.

I don't think that the CMB2B is going to be anymore optimized than CMBO is currently. Anything that can be optimized has been (with the 3D models compiled into the executable, etc.). In fact, with all of the additional 3D models, units, higher resolutions and detail CMB2B may be a tad slower than CMBO.

Handling a very large engagement will be mostly up to the system you have at hand - a lot of memory, fast video card and a fast CPU. For what CM does it is very optimized and almost nothing could be done to make the code any faster (despite some people's opinion to the contrary).

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I think you overquote the number of AFVs involved in Kursk. 10,000 between both belligerents would be a closer number.

I don't think that the CMB2B is going to be anymore optimized than CMBO is currently. Anything that can be optimized has been (with the 3D models compiled into the executable, etc.). In fact, with all of the additional 3D models, units, higher resolutions and detail CMB2B may be a tad slower than CMBO.

Handling a very large engagement will be mostly up to the system you have at hand - a lot of memory, fast video card and a fast CPU. For what CM does it is very optimized and almost nothing could be done to make the code any faster (despite some people's opinion to the contrary).

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Well, my laptop decided it no longer knows what a CD is, so I am now playing on an overclocked 122MHz Cyrix 6x86 PC.

It's brutal, people! Brutal!

I can only get CM in VGA mode!

I can't even see the whole map anymore, pressing 4 looks like my screen used to look like when I pressed 2!

AAAaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

:mad:

Well, my laptop decided it no longer knows what a CD is, so I am now playing on an overclocked 122MHz Cyrix 6x86 PC.

I can't even see the whole map anymore, pressing 4 looks like my screen used to look like when I pressed 2!

AAAaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

:mad:

Well there's no way for CM to work at that large scale battles. I believe CM maxes out around regiment level. A few battallions.

But on the other hand, Kursk wasn't just this really-big-field, a million germans on the other end and a few millions of soviets on the other end. It was a series of fights and lasted for days.

CM could simulate a smaller scale engagements around there somewhere. Or just a small sector of a larger battle.

But the tought of having something like 20 000 unit markers on your side is indeed cool. Would take some time to issue the orders. And then the 'puter would spend a week calculating the turn.

Well there's no way for CM to work at that large scale battles. I believe CM maxes out around regiment level. A few battallions.

But on the other hand, Kursk wasn't just this really-big-field, a million germans on the other end and a few millions of soviets on the other end. It was a series of fights and lasted for days.

CM could simulate a smaller scale engagements around there somewhere. Or just a small sector of a larger battle.

But the tought of having something like 20 000 unit markers on your side is indeed cool. Would take some time to issue the orders. And then the 'puter would spend a week calculating the turn.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patboivin:

I can only get CM in VGA mode! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many colors is that? 16?

What I wanna know is will I be able to run CM2 on my Commodore 64?

I can only get CM in VGA mode! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many colors is that? 16?

What I wanna know is will I be able to run CM2 on my Commodore 64?

AAAaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

:mad:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, you have my deepest sympathy. It must be like dying of thirst a few inches away from a cold, clear stream. Good Luck finding your way into a new system one day soon!

AAAaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

:mad:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, you have my deepest sympathy. It must be like dying of thirst a few inches away from a cold, clear stream. Good Luck finding your way into a new system one day soon!

Once I had 50 KTs and 50 Pershings line up to do battle on an open field. it took close to 5 mins to just figure out what the AI wanted to do. Then another 4 mins to compile the turn.

Imagine 2000 units? It would take a day to figure it all out.

Im on an Athlon TB 800.

Gen