MARCO BERGMAN's latest pack is gonna blow you away!--Sorry no pics, but...

Marco Bergman is hard at work finishing off the Sherman line. In his newest pack he will have the Sherman II/M4A1 tanks, an all new 76mm turret, Sherman Jumbos, and the HVSS Shermans.

I, along with Old Dog, & Gordon Molek are Marco's test hampsters. We get his "dirty work" to check over. It's a good thing too, because there was a bit of a problem with the beta pack of his Sherman II stuff he sent us.

Right now he's just sending us the base textures. He's gonna add the saddlebags and other stuff later.

The new 76 turret looks great guys. The top is really detailed now. Also the mantlets are improved a great deal. What's funny is that Marco was gonna hold off on the Jumbo, but when he discovered that it shared the 76 turret top, he decided that he'd better do it like, RIGHT NOW. smile.gif

I'll see if I can't get Old Dog to post some pics on this thread. Or I'll try on that free service. (Forgot what it was called.) wink.gif

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LOOONG life!"--Minsc, BGII

"Boo points, I punch."--Minsc, BGII

"Buttkicking for goodness!"--Minsc, BGII

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot.

Maximus,

You sound fairly well clued up so maybe you can help:

After downloading all the Sherman mods from CMHQ, and installed them, the textures are completely f*cked up.

The problem is that Bloke No.1 (Bergman?) made these Sherman mods, then Bloke No.2 added insignia, camoflauge and all these other bits and pieces. Installing the mods was a nightmare.

So, will these new mods be "self-contained", with no additions to confuse the matter? Thanks.

------------------

Rugged Defense England Team Website:

http://combatmission.portland.co.uk

For all our AARs

------------------

"I drive over farmyard animals in my farmyard tractor, then I laugh afterwards."--CavScout [comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical]

I agree! MOD's are getting a bit scary to install. I ended up with mix and match camo recently because I didn't read the small print that you had to have So and So's tank mod installed BEFORE you installed John Doe's Mod... and then rename file 1 to 942 if you wanted 2 GI helmets hanging on the turret instead of 3...

It is all getting a little difficult to keep up with...

Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

I agree! MOD's are getting a bit scary to install. I ended up with mix and match camo recently because I didn't read the small print that you had to have So and So's tank mod installed BEFORE you installed John Doe's Mod... and then rename file 1 to 942 if you wanted 2 GI helmets hanging on the turret instead of 3...

It was awful for a Mac owner like myself, in the end it was guesswork: which is the ORIGINAL and which is the ADD-ON????

I would be most grateful if someone could point me towards a Sherman mod which has all the Sherman models, and does not need to be messed around with. I probably gave it already - I have all the Allied mods from CMHQ - but the Allied tanks page was totally confusing, my brain was melting under the strain from working out what to do.

Rant/sob story over!

------------------

Rugged Defense England Team Website:

http://combatmission.portland.co.uk

For all our AARs

------------------

"I drive over farmyard animals in my farmyard tractor, then I laugh afterwards."--CavScout [comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical]

Well Tiger came out with his Weathered Shermans a WHILE back. Then Marco started his Hi-Res work with the M4A3 Shermans. He used some common textures from Tiger's mod, so therefore he didn't make new textures of his own for those.

The latest mismatch is for the Stuarts. Since the US Stuart and the UK Stuart were sort of the same, but not totally they shared some of the same textures, but not all. So you had to run either the US batch file or the UK batch file and then only use the respective unit. Otherwise, you'll end up with mismatched US textures and British textures on the same unit.

I'd write more, but I have to go. I'll post later upon my return. smile.gif

------------------

M. Bates,

Right after this lot is finished, I will put together an every-single-Sherman Plainpack for Mac users, which will be a guaranteed single install.

For Stuarts, get the Stuart Plainpack, which is the same thing for the Stuart. ( Also PC users who don't want any optional textures or batch files should get the plainpack.)

Mac users (and non-batch users) are perhaps best advised to steer clear of Gordon's Camo mods until we can check whether these addon mods will make sushi of a Mac setup, as M. Bates has unfortunatly found out.

The only way to restore this, M. Bates, is to reinstall the Bergman mods.

Thank you for pointing this out. We will have a look, and at least ammend Gordon's docs if nothing else to warn Mac users.

I will have a talk with Gordon and see if it is possible to make a Camo plainpack.

[This message has been edited by Marco Bergman (edited 01-26-2001).]

Those are some beautiful tanks. Now I can look at the Jumbo without shielding my eyes.

For any of you who have had trouble figuring out the Bergman, Molek & Associates, LLC mods, my advice would be to download all the zip files from CMHQ, starting with Tiger's weathered models. Then install each mod in the order in which it was released. You only have to set up the shortcuts to the batch files once, with only a few new ones released in subsequent mod packs. I think Matt said he has an ultimate and/or updated batch file system that he has not yet posted, so may be you want to wait for that. I was apprehensive about installing these mods at first because the batch file method seemed confusing, but if you just carefully follow the directions in the read.me files you should have no problems. Sometimes there are additional options that require you to rename files, but everything will work fine even if you don't.

The results are well worth the extra effort.

One note when it comes to winter vehicles. Remember when Magua released his winter US halftracks? We were all blown away and thought they screenshots were real photographs. Whatever technique he used made it look like the vehicles were actually covered with snow. It is nice to have winter camo schemes, but the snow really brings the vehicles to life. I wish some of you other mod makers would try to reproduce this technique, or maybe Bergman, Molek & Associates, LLC can hire on Magua to winterize the vehicles.

Will you also pleeeease do a plainpack for the PC for these GREAT Shermans?

I must apologise for not making myself clearer.

Plainpack = no options, no batches for BOTH Mac and PC.

( Otherwise I'd have called it a MacPack...)

Plainpacks will always be fully PC Mod Manager compliant too.

I hope this clears up the issue.

Gordon Molek is currently working on the Winter (Bergman) Shermans. His Fireflys are particularly nice. This pack is going to be different than that old Allied Winter pack from long ago. He's trying to make each style of white wash a little different. ie, Fireflys, M4/M4A3, M4A1/Sherman II, Sherman III/V.

I'll try to post some preview pics of those too shortly.

------------------

You have to run the standard UK, CA, or PO batch files to get the noncamo versions to come back. But then of course, you have to have had Bergman's original Commonwealth Shermans installed to get the noncamo ones back.

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 01-26-2001).]

Guest SS Peiper

Marco Great looking tanks as always. I have your and Gordon's Mod's with all the batch files and every thing works great. Do you have a ETA on the new mod?

Keep up the great work guys. Are any of you guys thinking about working some of your magic on the German panzers??

SS Peiper

Originally posted by SS Peiper:

Do you have a ETA on the new mod?

He's finalizing the base textures now and then he's gonna do the saddlebags, nationality markings, etc. So maybe by next weekend.

------------------

Geez,

You're flat on your back with a cold for one day and all hell breaks loose. That's what I get for having a 3 year old in day care. It's basically the "germ of the week club".

Anyway, I will definitely explore creation of a camo Sherman plainpack. However, I know that given all the texture sharing between the various Shermans that there will be problems with "seams". e.g., where the camo pattern transitions from the hull side to the hull top will be a match on some tanks, but there will be a mismatch on others (and there's nothing that we mod makers can do about it, because different models of Shermans with different hulls use the same textures). It may make more sense for Mac users to just use Marco's plainpak Shermans when they come out. I will definitely look into it. though.

Part of the reason the various mods depend on each other was to reduce the sizes of the downloads. That may have been a mistake.

Regarding the Winter Sherman preview. Bad Maximus, Bad! (sound of Maximus being hit with a rolled up newspaper). smile.gif Unfortunately, don't get your hearts set on any one of those textures as some have already changed and others are subject to being changed. The Winter Shermans WILL be a plainpak covering all the Shermans in the game, so there will be no mismatches or confusion.

Gordon

'looked so good, I thought it deserved a <punt>

Any news on the progress of these GREAT mods?

------------------

busboy

CO, 99th Dragons

A Warbirds Squadron

'We will heat you up'

"It is well that war is so terrible, else we would grow too fond of it."

-Robert E. Lee