Scorpio's sounds of death

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Justin5471:

When I downloaded them they ran really slowly. Its a bit off putting when some one cries out and it sounds...all...sloooowwwww. Any suggestions? :confused: <hr></blockquote>

Which program did you use to transfer them from mp3 to wav? And BTW, who is Scorpio?

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Scipio ]</p>

I recently converted some new Scipio sounds from MP3 to WAV and they sounded exactly like you described. When trying those slow WAVs in WinAmp I noticed that the kbps field displayed some really small number, 14H I think. Normally that number is much higher. Maybe I did something wrong in conversion, but when I did the conversion using another program, WAVs sounded ok and that kbps also had normal value.

I too had a similar problem but instead of slow sounds, all of the converted MP3s were speeded up. It literally sounded like the Chipmunks at war. Hearing Alvin get stabbed is quite funny. I solved this by either using the Freeware converter at WarfareHQ or using the current version of Music Matchbox.

Okay, the problem is simple. CM needs a specific format for the wav files:

16bit-signed mono with a sample rate of 44100Hz

The tool I post at WarfareHQ converts them automatical back into this format.

Other converters don't do so, as it seems. It's possible that you can enforce a conversion into the needed format by preference settings. Depends on the program.

But I recomment that you use the program I offer, if possible.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Why doesn't someone offer the modified files as wavs for download instead of putting the unmodified ones up? :confused: <hr></blockquote>

In my case, because I won't pay for the webspace and especially traffic that will be needed for 20 megabyte of uncompressed waves.

My latest update has something about 4 MB uncompressed. It has been downloaded for 220 times in the last days. That's already nearly 1 GB traffic, for only one file in 5 days! Further questions?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Scipio:

Michael, why do I have the feeling that you try an evasion tactic to stab me from behind? ;) <hr></blockquote>

No stab intended, I am genuinely interested in these well done mods and would like to see the persons involved in creating them get their proper due. It's nothing less than you've demanded, right?

It's a simple question Scipio - you've obviously devoted a lot of time to making these sound mods from scratch; I'm just interested in knowing how the work was done - might be interesting for guys like MikeT who are putting together sound mods of their own, to be able to do the same sort of thing.

Did you record them in an actual sound studio?