HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY (you geeks).

Rigghhhhtttt..... Which is why you're obsessed with a game that portrays the non-historical period of WW2.

Allow me to rephrase my post:

"Help wanted. A few Americans to share in fellowship on the day when we not only recognize the instant in time when we threw off the shackles of an oppressive nation, but more importantly recognize personal freedoms in general. Snippety over-seas types bearing 2 century grudges need not apply."

And since everything offensive can be washed away with a cute little winking smiley...

;)

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: Clubfoot ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clubfoot:

Rigghhhhtttt..... Which is why you're obsessed with a game that portrays the non-historical period of WW2.

Allow me to rephrase my post:

"Help wanted. A few Americans to share in fellowship on the day when we not only recognize the instant in time when we threw off the shackles of an oppressive nation, but more importantly recognize personal freedoms in general. Snippety over-seas types bearing 2 century grudges need not apply."

And since everything offensive can be washed away with a cute little winking smiley...

;)

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: Clubfoot ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen

Clubfoot said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Rigghhhhtttt..... Which is why you're obsessed with a game that portrays the non-historical period of WW2. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Riiighhht.... back. Obsessed? I play it. Obsession I reserve for important stuff - like beer. This is a game.

Before this one get's locked up...

You hand in your ticket

And you go watch the geek

Who immediately walks up to you

When he hears you speak

And says, "How does it feel

To be such a freak?"

And you say, "Impossible"

As he hands you a bone

- Bob Dylan

Copyright © 1965; renewed 1993 Special Rider Music

Hey you Limeys still owe us Yanks over a billion dollars for Lend-Lease equipment from WWI!!! Anyone want to figure out the compound interest on that one? ;) Let's not even try to figure out how much is owed from WWII. The US saved your butts, what twice in the last century and you're still pissed that a bunch of fur hat wearing, whiskey drinking country boys whupped "the strongest Army in Europe" in 1814. C'mon, let past conflicts be forgot and buy me a nice round of Guinness as I'd rather drink my own urine than that swill called Budweiser :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hanns:

Hey you Limeys still owe us Yanks over a billion dollars for Lend-Lease equipment from WWI!!! Anyone want to figure out the compound interest on that one? ;) Let's not even try to figure out how much is owed from WWII. The US saved your butts, what twice in the last century and you're still pissed that a bunch of fur hat wearing, whiskey drinking country boys whupped "the strongest Army in Europe" in 1814. C'mon, let past conflicts be forgot and buy me a nice round of Guinness as I'd rather drink my own urine than that swill called Budweiser :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The US was practically in British hands when the 1814 treaty was signed. Why they didn't just stay is beyond me. YOu guys had a year to conquer Canada, which was 1/20th your size, and you failed smile.gif

I just knew this thread would be on this forum today, that's why I've logged in smile.gif

Happy July 4th from over here as well. I think it's fair to say that we're still jealous that you guys threw off the yolk of a selfish, elitist regime and we failed (in the long-term) at our own attempt in our little Civil War a while earlier.

I don't think that there was much difference between an 'Englishman' and an 'American' then (or now), so I like to think that most Britons then would have sympathised greatly with the American cause.

Light a rocket for the revolution supporters on this side of the pond as well, it's fair to say we're as overly-democratic as they come now, but 1776 was a real wake up call which this stagnant country sorely needed, and gave birth to the greatest Democracy in the world.

Cheers!

OK, just in case you guys think I love everyone after reading my post, I'm gonna have to have a go at some of the godawful historical b####hit already on this thread as well...

The war of 1812 has been described by eminent historians as the most pointless war of all time. Britain never had the slightest chance of conquering America, it could mount painful raids into the interior - eg. burning the White House - and possibly strangle commerce, but these were pinpricks at best. Meanwhile, if America had actually managed to conquer Canada what good would it have done anyone? Did an already free and proud Canada want them in?

Bonaparte was the only benificiary of the two biggest democracies in the world fighting each other. I've seen it written that if the war had gone on just a little while longer, the British would have lost at Waterloo as many veteran regiments present there would have been still fighting in America.

Grrrrroan here I go, Britian wasn't saved by America during you know what, in late 1942 the Nazis had already been defeated at Stalingrad and El Alamein, not to mention Moscow and Tobruk in 1941. US troops began massive and heroic land fighting against the Nazis in 1943, I don't need to tell 99% of the forum members any of these obvious facts, but I'm sick of being patronised by the 1%.

Lend lease was a two way project eg: Britain got a load of WW1 type destroyers, in exchange America got a bunch of bases in scattered locations around the globe.

Yeah I know I shouldn't get involved with this stuff, but wouldn't it be great if we all stopped crowing and just got along, please?

Ps. For an upbeat and geniune response please see my earlier post, have a great day America!

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: Rex_Bellator ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

Bonaparte was the only benificiary of the two biggest democracies in the world fighting each other. I've seen it written that if the war had gone on just a little while longer, the British would have lost at Waterloo as many veteran regiments present there would have been still fighting in America.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let clear this up.[Rant mode on]The Brits didn't send vets to Canada till after Waterloo. Personally I think they you are just making you little facts up. You attack us first, must we point that out. I can't quote the letter that your president sent to Governor of Canada but, your people though that Canada want to join your wonder full little country.[Rant mode off]

Thats my ten cents. smile.gif

And just to show no hard feelings Happy Independence day smile.gif

Quote:

___The US was practically in British hands when the 1814 treaty was signed. Why they didn't just stay is beyond me. YOu guys had a year to conquer Canada, which was 1/20th your size, and you failed __________________________________________

Yeah, we blew that one for sure. Have a good July 4th ! We really do love you guys. ;)

Let's face it, our revolutionary ideals went out the window when we quashed the whiskey rebellion....(in 17 mumble mumble...)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eric Alkema:

I just get depressed when I compare American ideals then and now.

(OK, not objecting to slavery right off the bat is kind of embarrassing, but other than that, it was an accomplishment to be proud of.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>