Grenades and Mortars found

Frenchy,

After looking at my references, I'm inclined to think that the first item is not the head

from a Stielhandgranate. The proportions seem off; it's too long relative to diameter. The other ordnance consists of a U.S. M-9A1 AT rifle grenade, a 60mm mortar round, and a pair of Mark II A1 frag grenades. Fascinating pictures!

Regards,

John Kettler

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Kettler:

Frenchy,

After looking at my references, I'm inclined to think that the first item is not the head

from a Stielhandgranate. The proportions seem off; it's too long relative to diameter. The other ordnance consists of a U.S. M-9A1 AT rifle grenade, a 60mm mortar round, and a pair of Mark II A1 frag grenades. Fascinating pictures!

Regards,

John Kettler<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That grenade head looks alot like the muffler from my lawn mower tongue.gif .

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roborat:

Who gets the dubious honour of handling and disarming those rusty things?? Mighty brave people, in my opinion.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Charles & Steve of course :D......

Regards, John Waters

Hehe.. this thread brings back some memories... as a kid in the 70's my Dad was stationed at Kreuzberg Kaserne (near Zweibruecken); every once in a while our school would get evacuated when a farmer unearthed an unexploded bomb... the older kids used to go spelunking in the old bunkers (Siegfried Line), and more often than not they would come back up with something that would have to be wrestled from them and disposed of.

ahhh... the memories.

Bil

Yep, memories aplenty!

I recall with fondness and horror the rusty fallschirmjaeger helmet I got from an Italian farmer in Verona in the '60's. The horror part is that I sold it for pennies years later when I had a lapse in sanity...sob, choke :(

I'll say this, you guys got a lottta guts and damn few brains handling old live ordnance like that! God Bless you and count your fingers often!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gunnergoz:

Yep, memories aplenty!

I recall with fondness and horror the rusty fallschirmjaeger helmet I got from an Italian farmer in Verona in the '60's. The horror part is that I sold it for pennies years later when I had a lapse in sanity...sob, choke :(

I'll say this, you guys got a lottta guts and damn few brains handling old live ordnance like that! God Bless you and count your fingers often!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the Forties and Fifties following WW2, children on the Channel Islands went to school wearing German jackboots and carrying daggers!

Wow. Reminds me of stories I used to hear when I was much younger about french farmers turning up unexploded WW I ordnance in the fields around the Somme.

Brrrrrr.

Gives me the chills just to think about that - let alone little Jacques bringing home a pineapple grenade and tossing it on the table (gee, look what I found today, mom!)

[ 06-12-2001: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]