O/T - Is SPR considered realistic?

Maybe a daft question, but when reading a thread below it just got me thinking.

I recently saw some colour footage from what appeared to be the remnants of a British soldier in a landing craft that had been shot up as it hit the beach. It was very graphic to say the least. The narrator was talking about the dday landings at the time, but it was intersected with footage from Dieppe in '42 so I'm not quite sure where it's origins lie. Just damn thought provoking you know, when you see authentic film like that.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forever Babra wrote:

> I don't know if they were real

Loath as I am to discuss this topic, I do have to say that they seem to have picked the bustiest girls they could find for Ryan's granddaughters. Catering to a wider audience, I suppose... =)

phil, I think the general consensus is that SPR is the most realistic war film, in terms of pyrotechnics and violence – but that doesn't make it realistic. It gives you an idea, but it's not a reliable reference.

David

Guest MantaRay

As von Lucke said, first 20 mins yes, I agree 100%.

Only 2 things bothered me in the movie, one was the sniper who seemed like a nut, and picked the most obvious point to snipe from, and got cancelled for his stupidity.

And when they were rushing the MG nest. I almost wished I had fast forwarded it past that, but I was in a movie theatre, so had no remote smile.gif

But I would have paid the $7.50 just for the opening scene and when Matt Damon nailed the halftrack with a zook.

Still a true classic, who cares if it wasnt realistic.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

I'd have to say that SPR is the most realistic war movie I've seen so far, realistic being in a "show all, hide nothing" type of way.

Just the way I like my war movies.

Pity it's hard to find ones as good as that - any suggestions?

As for the bird in the purple top, yes very mmm mm mmmmmmmmmm.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bozza:

I'd have to say that SPR is the most realistic war movie I've seen so far, realistic being in a "show all, hide nothing" type of way.

Just the way I like my war movies.

Pity it's hard to find ones as good as that - any suggestions?

As for the bird in the purple top, yes very mmm mm mmmmmmmmmm.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm lost all of my text...

Anyways, What I was saying was that, for me, Pvt Ryan had a lot of realistic episodes, but overall, was unrealistic because of the overwhelming jingoism the audience was subjected to.

To me, the movie "The Longest Day" was more realistic, acknowledging that there were more people around than just the americans, the the pictures of the beaches through the sights of the two strafing planes showed more misery than "Ryan" was capable of.

'course it's only in Black and White.

[This message has been edited by PD (edited 01-19-2001).]

I went to go see SPR with my father, who while not a WWII vet, was a Vietnam Vet who had some experience with bieng shot at. He told that the movie was the closest to depicting combat he has seen, but it is still a movie.the parts that impressed him were the sound effects, especially the sounds of ricochets and of spent shells, and the scene of the Jewish Ranger(cant remember name) and the paratrooper setting up the .30 Cal, referring to setting the headspace and so forth(I know it doesn't sound like much, but dad mounted a .50 on a PBR, so anything with machine guns he is interested in).

I personally thought the action was pretty graphic, or at least as graphic as a movie nowadays is allowed. my only problems with historical accuracy are the fact that Remelle was supposed to be on the Merderet River, which is more on the northern half of the contentin peninsula. This isn't that big a deal except for the fact the are bieng rescued by the 29th division, which was anywhere near the merderet. if anything they should have had the 4th or 90th Division come in at the last split second. also, the merderet was plastered with more 82nd sticks then 101st troopers, but that can be overlooked. And I also thought a saw a liebstandarte key on the Tiger, which i think is also a little off, but hey, nobody but a grog would care or notice.....

still, a decent movie.but JUST a movie....

------------------

"Life is pain. Anyone saying otherwise is selling something."

I remember when the movie first came out they say the beach landing was pretty realistic as could be done on film. The vets said it did a good job of capturing the feel of it without actually shooting actors.

Also Tom Hanks said they had a two week training course in the way men were trained back in those days.

The part where they assualt that machinegun nest was supposedly the same exact tactics an American squad of '44 would have done it too they said. I cant say wether it was or not but I'll take the vets' word for it. sure looked real from my view. Had me on the edge of my seat.

I gotta get it on DVD here soon. Anyone have the DVD yet? Usually they add some edited features that were left out in the movie theatres.

~Skott~

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

I would also be interested in hearing what more the DVD version of SPR has.

------------------

"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."

DVD contains a MAKING OF special (pretty good really), 2 Trailers, a Message from Spielberg, and Cast bios. Nothing incredible, but all OK.

The movie itself on DVD is WELL worth the price! Better sound and picture than in the theater.

And as for the topic, I also have heard Vets say it's the most realistic WWII film they have ever seen, but that it's still just a movie. Good enough for me.

I bought my DVD player and home theater system just for SPR. I lke the movie BTW. smile.gif

The sound on the DVD is awesome, but no matter what I do I can't replicate the quality of the sound when the zook round hits the HT. I remember the whole theater shook and everyone jumped in their seats. The only thing that ruined the theater experience for me was the car alarm that went off for the entire movie - literally.

I think SPR is the most historical hollywood depiction of what WWII combat was like. There may have been inaccuracies that only grogs or vets would notice, but I think it gave everyone who saw it a good idea of what those men went through.

I perfer Thin Red Line's combat scenes to the bulk of Saving Private Ryan's. Their cast was much larger (so just about anyone could die at any moment, unlike SPR), and the plot was probably focussed better on what it was like to BE a soldier in the Guadalcanal jungle. SPR had too much of a storyline plot (ie. find this kid whose brothers died) which never really happened. EVERY action was contrived to further this plot. In TRL, the action was more or less random, taking an objective that doesn't further the plot, because in reality, thats what soldiers did. They fought for something which they had no idea the importance, or relevance to any larger picutre.

In many ways, TRL got a bad wrap. Its long and confusing storyline was a bad attempt at showing the mix of warfare being minutes of high pitched action, and hours of lull and boredom. Actually, I guess it did portray it pretty well, eh? biggrin.gif

This is a total nit, but I remember when Ryan blew up the HT I thought that Miller and Co. would have gotten waxed by Ryan and Co.

After Ryan zaps the track, Miller and his guys go running in and kill off the surviving Germs. I am betting though that the moment they ran around that track they would have been lit up by Ryans scout team. They had no idea there were other Amis around, and they were almost certainly jacked up with rather itchy trigger fingers.

Just a inconsequential nit that I noticed.

Jeff Heidman

God, totally forgot about TRL. That's a top film too. It's a difficult choice between these three really for me:

Thin Red Line

Saving Private Ryan

When Trumpets Fade

Who's seen When Trumpets Fade? The charge through the forest is stunning.

All are good, but I think personally, TRL is the classier film. Anyway, digressing!

Jeff Heidman wrote:

> I am betting though that the moment they ran around that track they would have been lit up by Ryans scout team. They had no idea there were other Amis around, and they were almost certainly jacked up with rather itchy trigger fingers.

Maybe something to do with Miller's lot having wasted the squad from the halftrack? Ryan and co. would be wondering who was shooting at whom, and would also probably recognise American firearms. Assuming they didn't see Miller approaching in the first place.