XP fix?

This is a problem with the driver. You can't make the driver display white correctly in the context that it is used in this game. Therefore there will be no 'patch' that just changes a couple of lines of code to address this issue.

However there are 'workarounds' to this issue. ESC or ALT-TAB out of CM and then remaximize. This will clear up the transparent white (until you come out of a 3D game to a 2D scenario listing or AAR - in which case you need to perform the keystrokes again). For some of the white corruption within CM 'manually' set your FSAA to 2X or higher. You can also install an interface mod such as Deanco's which minimizes the amount of white in some of the 2D screens.

CMBB will suffer less from this problem since the interface was designed by Deanco and it uses less white elements.

Yes, thanks, I found out the Alt+Tab trick already, it was not possible to enter the file name in file save dialog otherwise. I don't know if the problem is in drivers or WinXP, or DirectX 8.1. I guess that it is WinXP, perhaps it does the painting differently from any previous Win versions. Hope that CMBB has a real file save dialog as well.

Uh, yes it is possible to enter a save-game name in the dialog box. You just can't see the onscreen echo. Same goes for PBEM saves, and it is pretty easy there if you have any sort of short term memory, as all you need do is backspace once and hit one digit higher.

WWB

Nvidia just released new WHQ XP drivers last week. Does it fix the problem?

Also, I read that using anistropic filtering with quinux give the GE Force 3 card better image quality. But I can't find any settings to enable anistropic filitering in the Nvidia driver panel.

How do I turn on anistropic filtering?

No, the 23.11 drivers do not fix the problem. In fact if your motherboard has a non-Intel chipset you may actually run into more problems with the latest drivers than your current set. NVidia has not fixed the 'white transparency' problem yet.

NVidia doesn't seem to explicitly support 'anisotropic filtering' for DirectX. It is supported for OpenGL however (so you'll find it on the OpenGL Settings tab of NVidia's Display control panel extensions). The only thing you can adjust is the Mipmapping quality in the DirectX driver, but I don't know what, if any, filtering is applied with these settings.

The Anandtech FAQ on Anisotropic Filtering (a general discussion on what it is):

Anisotropic filtering is a type of texture filtering separate and complimentary to bilinear/trilinear filtering.

Standard texture filtering is isotropic in nature, equally long and wide, but that is based on screen space and not on the actual image being displayed. Anisotropic filtering works on an elongated sampling pattern which stretches the texel sampling in relation to the viewpoint and image. This results in the reduced aliasing that bilinear and trilinear offer, but without losing as much clarity as those methods alone do.

There are two different methods used to measure anisotropic filtering, one is the number of anistropy supported, the other is the more commonly used "tap" rating. A board that supports anisotropy of one is eight tap, anisotopry of two is sixteen tap and so on. Currently most boards support anisotropic filtering at least of eight tap, though performance hits for using the technique range from mild to severe.

For an example, if you are staring directly at a wall perfectly flat in front of you you are seeing things properly filtered using bilinear or trilinear filtering. However, if you are looking at something on an angle, for instance the ground, the sampling from bilinear or trilinear still samples as if you were staring at a flat wall directly in front of you, based solely on the space it occupies on your monitor. If the ground is at an angle on your screen, anisotropic filters based on that angle. It works on the space the object occupies in the 3D scene.

I believe you can use NVMax or Rivatuner to force aniso on in D3D apps. There are some good articles over at 3DPulpit explaining the aniso settings. There are also apparently some new hidden FSAA settings on the GF3. But I don't know if it will help CM much [more than existing AA settings] as I don't think the GF drivers allow AA to be applied to alpha textures (i.e. the trees in CM).

- Chris

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Wolfe ]</p>

Guys u might dont believe it but i have found MY fix for the Nvidea and WinXP Problem !!

Go Buy a ATI Radeon 8500 !! This card rocks ! Nice display smooth fast and better then geForce 3 TI500 :D :cool: :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Uedel:

Go Buy a ATI Radeon 8500 !! This card rocks ! Nice display smooth fast and better then geForce 3 TI500 :D :cool: :D <hr></blockquote>

And you get fog in CM with it? Previous Radeon products have been unable to do it...

M.

No, none of the ATI products offer full fog-table support under DirectX. Even with the latest drivers specifically built to support the 8500 there is still no support. By the way the latest drivers actually offer ATI's version of FSAA - SmoothVision. It is a very nice FSAA, with a better sampling method than the GeForces. The 8500's still aren't as fast as the top end GeForce3 & GeForce3 Ti500, but they're decent and quite a bit less expensive.

However I wouldn't count on fog-table support appearing any time soon since none of the previous drivers ATI has released for any of their 3D capable video cards has supported it.

Some folks have other problems with the Radeon's and XP. It hasn't seemed to affect fps in games, but it shoots down 3Dmark2001 scores when you can only boot up in AGP2x because of a ATI driver problem in XP depending on system config. Mostly seems to affect non-intel chipsets.

On paper the 8500 is a better piece of hardware than the Ti500, but ATI drivers tend to lose any potential performance advantages.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Uedel:

Guys u might dont believe it but i have found MY fix for the Nvidea and WinXP Problem !!

Go Buy a ATI Radeon 8500 !! This card rocks ! Nice display smooth fast and better then geForce 3 TI500 :D :cool: :D <hr></blockquote>

Sure, can you load me a few hundred $$$?