Recommedations what to see in Southern Germany?

Matt will likely boot this topic over to "General" where it belongs, but regardless, I figure that the CM forum gets more visitors who might be of help.

My wife & I are going to Stuttgart, Germany for the Christmas holiday to visit with her sisters & their families. So --- while there, anyone familar with that region have suggestions on what would be good to visit or tour? (Military museums are always on my own "A" list, but given the Christmas season, it's likely that I'll have to defer on that.)

Thanks for any replies.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Spook:

Matt will likely boot this topic over to "General" where it belongs, but regardless, I figure that the CM forum gets more visitors who might be of help.

My wife & I are going to Stuttgart, Germany for the Christmas holiday to visit with her sisters & their families. So --- while there, anyone familar with that region have suggestions on what would be good to visit or tour? (Military museums are always on my own "A" list, but given the Christmas season, it's likely that I'll have to defer on that.)

Thanks for any replies.<hr></blockquote>

Rommel's Hometown, place where he committed suicide, and grave. It's approx 45 minutes east, south east of Stuttgart in the town of Herrlingen, near Ulm.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Spook:

My wife & I are going to Stuttgart, Germany for the Christmas holiday to visit with her sisters & their families. So --- while there, anyone familar with that region have suggestions on what would be good to visit or tour?

<hr></blockquote>

There are lots of great 'live show' clubs around the train station. ;)

Personally, I would not want to hang dead over a fence in Stuttgart. But since they have a high-speed train stop, you can at least get away from it quickly.

You are in the Alsace in no time - Colmar pocket and all that.

Nice base. Nice to get away from it. Oh, did I mention I really don't like Stuttgart? Even Bavaria is better.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Moon:

Germanboy - "Even Bavaria is better."

Hey! smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

Moon, I hate to break this to you, but the Allgaeu is at best 'Beutebayern', and at worst 'Moechtegernbayern'. They have an inane dialect that can not even claim Lederhosencoolness. Only ended up there because Napoleon gave that bit to Bayern, IIRC. Bayern starts behind the Lech, not before the Iller.

Anyway, almost any place up to and including Kandahar or Coventry is better than a part of Germany where they believe that Linsen mit Spaetzle und Seidewuerstle are a delicacy. As they do in Stuttgart. Yikes.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Moon, I hate to break this to you, but the Allgaeu is at best 'Beutebayern', and at worst 'Moechtegernbayern'. They have an inane dialect that can not even claim Lederhosencoolness. Only ended up there because Napoleon gave that bit to Bayern, IIRC. Bayern starts behind the Lech, not before the Iller. <hr></blockquote>

That's about the same as what my German language teacher was saying too. (He was a US Army vet with 20 years service at various stations in Germany.)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>

Anyway, almost any place up to and including Kandahar or Coventry is better than a part of Germany where they believe that Linsen mit Spaetzle und Seidewuerstle are a delicacy. As they do in Stuttgart. Yikes. <hr></blockquote>

Hey, knowing what to avoid (if that is possible) is useful too. ;) The model train museum does pique my interest, though, as well as the stuff at Sinsheim. The teacher also warned me about the Gluhwein.

OK, trivia question: what keyboard combination allows the typing of umlauts here?

I only know the key combo for ü as I have 2 ü's in my surname.

Anyway combo is hold down ALT and type 0252 or basically ALT+0252

This works with just about any windows app. Other vowels are similar, just mess about with the number while holding down ALT, does caps versions too.

Regards,

Fenris

If you want to do your wife a favour, visit the Christmas market in Heidelberg. Nice city, tourists love it!

Problem is I'm currently studying there and we're about to get overrun by hordes of coo-coo-clock-buying, picture-taking TOURISTS!

But then, if things get tough, there's always Glühwein...

You can make a trip to the museum in Sinsheim, watch some Panthers and then spend the evening in Heidelberg. :D

Ah, and have a look at Worms, the old city of the Nibelungen (you know, Siegfried and that stuff...). Not that far away from Stuttgart (150km).

And plan to see the cathedral (Dom) in Speyer, about 120km from Stuttgart. One of the most beautiful cathedrals in Germany. Built in 1030 it's the biggest romance (sp?) building in europe.

Hope that helps

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ParaBellum:

Ah, and have a look at Worms, the old city of the Nibelungen (you know, Siegfried and that stuff...). Not that far away from Stuttgart (150km).

And plan to see the cathedral (Dom) in Speyer, about 120km from Stuttgart. One of the most beautiful cathedrals in Germany. Built in 1030 it's the biggest romance (sp?) building in europe.

Hope that helps<hr></blockquote>

My parents live in Worms. It has the oldest Jewish cemetary in Germany (if not Europe), the Cathedral is very impressive, and there are some nice old buildings tucked away in side streets. Unfortunately it was destroyed by Bomber Command in two attacks 1944 and 1945 - there were leather factories in the city centre, which were an important target.

Speyer is also great. The cathedral is from about the same time as Worms. The period is called 'Roman', and the style 'Romanic'. Preceded the Gothic style, ran from about 10th-12th century. I much prefer it to Gothic.

Germanboy, you're from Worms? Not that far away from Mannheim...

Yes, the jewish cemetery in Worms is well worth

visiting it. Kind of strange. "Visiting" a cemetery... But this one is just beautiful and very interesting, been there already a few times.

Ah yes, romanic, of course.

The style is kind of "plain". This, together with the proportions of the buildings makes for an exceptional beautiful architecture.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I only know the key combo for ü as I have 2 ü's in my surname.

Anyway combo is hold down ALT and type 0252 or basically ALT+0252

This works with just about any windows app. Other vowels are similar, just mess about with the number while holding down ALT, does caps versions too.

<hr></blockquote>

Can't you just press alt + U and U again? That works on the Mac anyway. (Sub "Option" key for Alt)

ü ü ü <-- See? ;)

ä ë ï ö ü and sometimes ÿ :D

Enough keyboard fun for today. Next time: Tildes!

Gyrene

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Germanboy:

My parents live in Worms.

<hr></blockquote>

eeewww! in worms?? must be that Arrakis world you come from ey? tongue.gif

but honestly cool!! how much of the Altstadt is there Stadt Mauer? chances are its all build up but what about the Jewish quarter near the Hafen is the Synagogue still there? (assuming they rebuilt it) if so I would guess it would be one of the oldest in Germany (even if it was restored heck most of germany was restored after getting hammered in the war).

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: mensch ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mensch:

eeewww! in worms?? must be that Arrakis world you come from ey? tongue.gif

but honestly cool!! how much of the Altstadt is there Stadt Mauer? chances are its all build up but what about the Jewish quarter near the Hafen is the Synagogue still there? (assuming they rebuilt it) if so I would guess it would be one of the oldest in Germany (even if it was restored heck most of germany was restored after getting hammered in the war).

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: mensch ]<hr></blockquote>

Grego, quite a bit of Stadtmauer is still left. The Synagoue is gone since 1938 (no surprises there), but the old Tora school is still left, and no contains a museum. The whole Jewish quarter (Ghetto - in the medieval sense) has been restored.

If you go, stay outside the town on a wine-farm. If you are really interested, email me and I get my parents to recommend a place to stay. Travel time is 1hr20, cost is DEM124,- pp, less if you go as a group.

Spook, the Porsche factory museum is in Stuttgart, and it's great. Last year I travelled to Stuttgart specifically for the auto museums. The Daimler Benz museum is a must see. It contains a vast number of significant road cars, and some of the most important racecars in the world. You'll also see a few WWII era aero engines (including a prototype LSR car powered by DB601's).