OT: Age of Sail 2

Originally posted by GeoffP:

Any of you folks planning to purchase this?

It's gone Gold.

I had a lot of fun with the original and was keen at the idea of AoS2, but I'm thinking I'll skip 'til it hits the bargain bin and I want an afternoon diversion... the whole concept is fun at first, but gets kind of dull and repetitve... only so much you can do with a rag-wagon.

wink.gif

I had the first one and I thought it was terrible. The sad thing is, it had such potential.

It has been awhile since I played it, but I remember the ability to sail only 8 points of the compass thereby negating some of the handing ability of those ships that could sail closer to the wind.

No shoals, no forts to tangle with, no real weather/sea state modeling. Where was the land? How about various anchoring options? How about Command/Control? I would liked to have replayed the Battle of the Nile, but you couldn't do it with AOS1

No, I'll wait til I see more on it. I would love to see someone do a SERIOUS effort on the genre before I plop down another $45 bucks.

Well, as a point of clarification, AOS2 doesn't have the same designer. John Tiller designed the first AOS, while AOS2 was done by the Russian(?) software group Akella (with TalonSoft as the publisher).

For those who are interested, you can go to www.talonsoft.com for some information. Or use the link below to go to a site sponsored by AOS2 fan Simon "Iron Duke" Allison:

http://www.ageofsail2.homestead.com

Yes, Akella is Russian, and the game is a clean sheet of paper.

If I wasn't so battle-hardened by false promises and flowery interviews/previews, I'd probably buy it as soon as it hit the shelves. No demo and no real communication from the developers makes me pessimitic. I hope I'm wrong.

from this web page:

http://www.talonsoft.com/ageofsail2/description.html

It looks like Wooden Ships and Iron Men an old Avalon hill Borad game (now on computer in 3D) that you had simultaneous turn resolution and you had to roll the dice for every cannon ball fired, and do a heck of alot of paper work and accounting to track all your ammo and damage.

anyone else here play that game long ago?

this is what they have to say for them selves:

Naval combat makes its glorious return in Age of Sail II. Portraying real-time naval warfare with a 3-dimensional, realistic sailing and combat model, Age of Sail II accurately illustrates the mighty Fighting Ships from 1775 to 1820. Battle the great navies of 11 nations for supremacy on the high seas!

Special Features:

Captain the most memorable sailing ships in history! From the Constitution to the Victory and over a thousand ships in between. Over 1200 historical warships are represented, all beautifully rendered in meticulous 3-dimensional detail!

Advance from Ensign all the way to Admiral of the fleet in both the American and British campaigns. Detailed, branching storylines reach around the world. Full floating 3D camera enables precision control of your fleet.

Over 100 historical scenarios - from Copenhagen and the Battle of the Nile, to Trafalgar, Cape St. Vincent and Camperdown, just to name a few!

Lush 3D Coastal Landscapes provide tactical obstacles and defensive havens. Reinforced Cannonry Forts serve as stalwart defenses - capable of bombarding the enemy into oblivion.

Multiplayer Support for up to 16 players via LAN or over the internet.

System Requirements:

100% PC Compatible

Pentium 200 MHz or higher

32 MB RAM

50 MB free hard disk

4x Speed required

Microsoft compatible mouse

16-bit High Color 3D graphics

Voodoo, or equivalent 8 MB D3D

16-bit sound card Windows compatible

Some how I doubt it runs on a MAC!

oh well

-tom w

It looks like Wooden Ships and Iron Men an old Avalon hill Borad game (now on computer in 3D) that you had simultaneous turn resolution and you had to roll the dice for every cannon ball fired, and do a heck of alot of paper work and accounting to track all your ammo and damage.

anyone else here play that game long ago?

Yep, I did. That game sparked my interest in the "Battle Sail" era. For its day, it rated highly amongst all the Avalon Hill boardgames. In fact, some features provided in the WS&IM boardgame (like detailed critical hits) remain to be adequately covered by the comparative computerized game versions. Go figure.

Major WS&IM player here. I still have it, though it was last used in 1985 or so.

Computer WS&IM was an adaptation of the baord game, so it was not real time.

AOS-I was entertaining, but it got a little repetative and was missing a couple of little details that could have made it great. Here's to hoping this new engine can deliver.

Endless hours of WS&IM.

Still have mine as well.

AH got a lot of great games from Battleline.

WS&IM

Flattop (still no decent PC alternative)

Submarine (still nothing good. Only Wolfpack got close)

Air Force/Dauntless (Flight Sims as board games seem silly now)

Circus Maximus (Loved whipping opponents around corners too fast)

Gladiator (I have seen Gladiator auction at E-bay for over $100.00)

WS&IM was my first wargame and I too still have it. Endless hours of gaming and lots of paperwork were necessary to finish one of the larger battles included in the game, but it paid off when the first close range volleys were exchanged ( "A Six! Critical Hit, Arrh Madeye!").

Has anyone of you dared to attempt the Trafalgar scenario? Ugh, the memories...

Originally posted by Wilhammer:

Endless hours of WS&IM.

Still have mine as well.

AH got a lot of great games from Battleline.

WS&IM

Flattop (still no decent PC alternative)

Submarine (still nothing good. Only Wolfpack got close)

Air Force/Dauntless (Flight Sims as board games seem silly now)

Circus Maximus (Loved whipping opponents around corners too fast)

Gladiator (I have seen Gladiator auction at E-bay for over $100.00)

What a great community of wargamers!

I must comment on Circus Maximus

A true classic to be sure!

We still play it for a FUN evenings entertainment, for those who don't know, think of that Chariot race in Ben Hur then think a board game where you play what amounts to a demolition derby with chariots drawn by four horses around an oval race track and try to ram your chariot in the other guy's chariot to break his wheels amd injury his horse legs and make him wipe out in the corners. Its actually REALLY fun!

-tom w

Also a player of WS&IM but in the same genre the game I keep looking for a computer version of in Yaquinto's Ironclads! Now that was a fun game. Still have it and the expansion. I hear rumors of someone doing it from time to time but I've no knowledge of even a bad version seeing the light of day. Iron Ships and Iron Men?

------------------

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!

TalonSoft alluded back in '96 that "Age of Ironclads" & "Age of Oars" would follow its Age of Sail game. Both became vaporware in time.

With the impending release of AOS2, it's been asked again of TalonSoft that it provide an "ironclads" sequel of the new 3-d game, but TalonSoft stated it has no plans to do this.

After visiting THE HMS Victory a couple years ago, I'm definately interested in AOS2. I tried the first one, but it did fail to convince me that it was a good game....

I'll probably break down and get AOS2, it just looks too damn good!

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

Originally posted by dmart:

Oops, I'm sorry. I was looking for the Combat Mission site.

What's your point? Quite a few people here (myself included) first heard about CM on other games' fora.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Circus Maximus? Is that the game where your opponents try frantically to reduce they speed when they are about to move around the corners and then you give his horses a gentle slap with your whip. Ahhh, those faces when the have to adjust their speed and then splattered their chariots at the wall.

A truly evil game. IIRC, there was also a fantasy version of this game where you can have ferocious beasts instead of ordinary horses. Those beasts were a bit unpredictable as they were prone to eat the enemies draft animals or themselves or your driver and occasionally your chariot.

Can anyone remember this game and how it is called?

My point is this. This forum is described as

Combat Mission

Discuss CM in general ways

not covered by the other CM

Forums. Please be careful to

not post scenario specific

information here

What does this thread have to do with CM? A more appropriate forum is the General Discussion forum, described as...

Talk about Battlefront.com's

mission, its non-game

offerings, or pretty much

anything releated to

wargaming.

What's so difficult to understand about that?

I'm also posting to irritate dmart

Me too Mad Dog.

But I will get the game. But like Goofy I'm still waiting for Ironclads. He and I sank many of each others ships.

Dave

------------------

My front is pushed back.My right gives way.Situation Excellent! I am attacking!

Ferdinand Foch 1916