Show off, folks: Let's see your picture!

Hey Madmatt, where'd all that hair come from? biggrin.gif

Russelmz, probably yes. It's a high risk, high hours, high paying job that I recommend to no one. Two or three boats from Kodiak sink every summer, and if you don't have a survival suit (neoprene overalls that keep you warm in the water) or a raft, you're gone in twenty minutes or so. When I fish, we always have two skiffs working together though, so the other one can get you out of trouble. I've always been lucky so far.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys, this is the fruitiest picture ever, but it's also the only good picture I've had taken of me. The lens flare is an artifact, added by a friend for use on a different web site. Alas, I've lost the original...

geh.jpg

------------------

so you can stay cool behind your window

and choose the view you want to see

but as long as there's others held captive

do not consider yourself free

-EMBRACE, "DO NOT CONSIDER YOURSELF FREE"

Do you know who I am?

hg.jpg

At least that is who see myself as as my sttel beasts barrel through the steppes of the east. Ah, what a general you were...

OT: Gustav, I spent three years in Norton Sound just south of Nome. Ever hear of a town (yeah right) called Unalakleet? It was a great eye-opening experience. I will never forget stumbling through the streets of Dutch Harbor towards the "Elbow Room." or stumbling back to the boat that morning.

Sun, what sun? It was winter and we were fishing for halibut and black cod.

Those were the days, my friend, and there is NO WAY I would ever do it again!

------------------

And King Xerxes looked to King Leonidas and spoke. "Our Archers will rain arrows down upon you to blot out the sun."

And King Leonidas replied: "Then we will fight in the shade."

FINALLY! I got the freakin' thing to work!

YAAAGH!

Anyhoo, here's Mr. Clark and his tank...

clark.jpg

------------------

"Fear is for the enemy... Fear and Bullets."

"They didn't want to come... but I told em, by jeepers, it was an order."

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 02-16-2001).]

Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Russelmz, probably yes.

According to the Federal Government and OSHA, definitely yes. According to recent statistics, commercial fishing is the most dangerous job in the United States. OSHA says you are more likely to get injured or killed as a fisherman than when you are doing police work, construction, mining, lumberjacking or even military service.

I guess those fish can be vicious....

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

OT: Gustav, I spent three years in Norton Sound just south of Nome. Ever hear of a town (yeah right) called Unalakleet? It was a great eye-opening experience. I will never forget stumbling through the streets of Dutch Harbor towards the "Elbow Room." or stumbling back to the boat that morning.

Sun, what sun? It was winter and we were fishing for halibut and black cod.

Those were the days, my friend, and there is NO WAY I would ever do it again!

Were you fishing IFQs or were you still doing the two day marathon openers? I'm just as glad I'm just a setnetter, I'd never do lonlining or pots. Never been to 'kleet. I used to have an Elbow Room jacket, but I've never been to Dutch Harbor. As soon as I finish up college and get a little money I'm taking a trip out to the Aleutians though. Gotta see Kiska and explore all the stuff the Japanese left.

Originally posted by Terence

According to the Federal Government and OSHA, definitely yes. According to recent statistics, commercial fishing is the most dangerous job in the United States.

Gee, thanks for the information. :/ And I've still got three more years of college I have to pay for somehow. The worst thing is, I miss out on CM for three months. Last summer it was right when the friggin game was released. I'm so glad BTS is planning fall 2001 for the release of CM2, I'll be around for this one.

I guess those fish can be vicious....

Only if you're dumb enough to stick your finger in their mouth. Spending a couple hours with a net around their neck (well, where a neck would be) takes the fight out of them. My boss, on the other hand... wink.gif

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska