For those of you who complained that my mods aren't dirty enough (preview)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH....MY.....GOD!!!!

What we are seeing here is the next evolution in mods. Mods with files resolution 1024x1024 etc. which allow the detail. Given new machine have the grunt, this will be a great change for the power users.

Wow, what a reaction. Thanks.

There seems to be some speculation that this is a "ultra mega hi-res" mod. It's really only a standard 2x the BTS original size hi-res mod. Even I'm kind of astounded at how well it turned out though.

I started the Jeep back in March I think right after I finished the Kübelwagen. It's just sat dormant on my HD until last week.

smile.gif

Andrew,

My '74 CJ-5 at home is getting jealous! smile.gif Now it's asking for a pintle mount and fording kit. Can you please, please make the Ford script optional?? My Jeep would have conniptions if it found out I was using an "imposter" Jeep mod ;)

Hanns

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AndrewTF:

I started the Jeep back in MARCH ... It's just sat dormant on my HD until last week. smile.gif <hr></blockquote> :eek:

Ok Andrew, you're a sick individual. Now we want you to put your HD down and take two steps back. Remember, no disclaimers on those dormat mods mean they're all ours! :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hanns:

Andrew,

My '74 CJ-5 at home is getting jealous! smile.gif Now it's asking for a pintle mount and fording kit. Can you please, please make the Ford script optional?? My Jeep would have conniptions if it found out I was using an "imposter" Jeep mod ;)

Hanns<hr></blockquote>

Man, you guys are a hard to please. :D

I guess it wouldn't be too tough to comp in an optional Willys logo in place of the Ford.

Hey, does anyone have a decent photo of the mount for the .50 MG used in the Jeep? Any sort of references would be helpful. Post em here or e-mail em to me.

Thanx<hr></blockquote>

Ok, I have a good reference picture of the pedestal mount itself. Can anybody point me in the direction of a visual reference for the actual gun cradle mounting thingie (I'm not a military or gun guy so I'm unsure of the proper term) that allows for mounting the gun to the pedestal mount.

Appreciate it!

smile.gif

Ok, I have a good reference picture of the pedestal mount itself. Can anybody point me in the direction of a visual reference for the actual gun cradle mounting thingie (I'm not a military or gun guy so I'm unsure of the proper term) that allows for mounting the gun to the pedestal mount.

Appreciate it!

smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

Never mind, I figured it out on my own. :cool:

AndrewTF,

What you've done is most impressive, but it seems to me you've invented a new physics. If not, barring deliberate obscuration, how is it that the windshield is opaque except for the wiper path, but the front of the vehicle and the hood are almost clean?

My little Festiva is medium blue and isn't driven around much, yet within days rapidly becomes more brown than blue on all horizontal surfaces from just a little dust. If we take a jeep in the field for any length of time, which is only washed by rain or stream fordings, it'll easily be ten times worse, without factoring in mud.

Have you ever seen a vehicle that's gone cross country through mud? The grunginess is hard to convey. The tires and wheel hubs would be almost unrecognizable, the wheel wells would be deeply caked, as would the fenders, especially behind the wheels; the front bumper, the radiator and much of the hood would be thick with directly deposited or splashed glop. I'm sure you've walked through mud so sticky it almost sucked your shoes off your feet. Now imagine what it'll do given all those surfaces and crannies to adhere to. Similarly, the rear spare's lower part would get a fair amount of splash on its underside, as would the back of the jeep, and general dirt on the top. Unless you've got a newish vehicle, all the exposed upper parts would have a certain amount of sun bleaching, over which all the dust and mud would go.

I invite you to do a little field research and return with a realistically muddy jeep to go with

your somewhat dusty current one. It shouldn't be that hard to find someone who goes four-wheeling.

Everything you've done so far is a great improvement over what we had going in, but major possibilities exist to do some really great work which eclipses everything you've done so far.

I hope this helps you in your valued mod endeavors.

Regards,

John Kettler

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pud:

? Didnt someone do a US HT a year ago with [Kilroy] scrawled on the back?<hr></blockquote>

My halftracks have someone's (can't remember whose, sorry) mod with "Berlin or Bust" written on the back, but I haven't seen another Kilroy. He'd look good on a building wall too (hint, hint).

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by John Kettler:

AndrewTF,

What you've done is most impressive, but it seems to me you've invented a new physics. If not, barring deliberate obscuration, how is it that the windshield is opaque except for the wiper path, but the front of the vehicle and the hood are almost clean?

My little Festiva is medium blue and isn't driven around much, yet within days rapidly becomes more brown than blue on all horizontal surfaces from just a little dust. If we take a jeep in the field for any length of time, which is only washed by rain or stream fordings, it'll easily be ten times worse, without factoring in mud.

Have you ever seen a vehicle that's gone cross country through mud? The grunginess is hard to convey. The tires and wheel hubs would be almost unrecognizable, the wheel wells would be deeply caked, as would the fenders, especially behind the wheels; the front bumper, the radiator and much of the hood would be thick with directly deposited or splashed glop. I'm sure you've walked through mud so sticky it almost sucked your shoes off your feet. Now imagine what it'll do given all those surfaces and crannies to adhere to. Similarly, the rear spare's lower part would get a fair amount of splash on its underside, as would the back of the jeep, and general dirt on the top. Unless you've got a newish vehicle, all the exposed upper parts would have a certain amount of sun bleaching, over which all the dust and mud would go.

I invite you to do a little field research and return with a realistically muddy jeep to go with

your somewhat dusty current one. It shouldn't be that hard to find someone who goes four-wheeling.

Everything you've done so far is a great improvement over what we had going in, but major possibilities exist to do some really great work which eclipses everything you've done so far.

I hope this helps you in your valued mod endeavors.

Regards,

John Kettler<hr></blockquote>

Um, well, they're not done yet. The dirty windshield is an experiment based on a suggestion from a forum member and fellow modder. I think it turned out pretty well, and yes, the front and hood area of the Jeep should be pretty dirty as well to go with the windshield but, well, I haven't finished it yet. The current versions are much grimier, and the release version will be grimier yet.

Splattering it with too much mud would obliterate much of the detail. My aim with this one is to give it a pleasantly filthy, dried-mud and dust kind of look.

Glad you like it otherwise. Currently I'm finishing up a few details, such as the suspension, and engaging in a furious pink pixel hunt.

AndrewTF,

First of all, thanks for responding. I was working from the graphic as shown and lay no claim to knowing your ultimate plans. What I did was to provide you with feedback much as I did for Tanks a Lot and his amazing concrete bunker mod. Sadly, at this stage that's about all I can do, because my rig doesn't have the horsepower to run high res mods. Therefore, to the extent you find anything I say useful, just think of it as being for the benefit of the better equipped CM community.

Death to pink pixels!

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! smile.gif

Who woulda thunk that a Jeep mod would be so anticipated?

Unfortunately I've been busy with the kind of work that actually pays money, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on mods this week. I have made proper US, UK, and Canadian versions of the mod, as well as refined the Jeep MG.

2 important questions: does anyone want a Free French version? Can anyone show me what a Polish Jeep whould have looked like? I'll make one of those too if anyone wants it.

Well I normally don't use a lot of jeeps but after seeing this I will. Truely excellent work - again. Thanks ever so much for your time and work. I for one really appreciate it and this is what I feel keeps this game going as well as the fact that it is the best game ever but the mods greatly improve the pleasure.