Is the M4a1 correctly modeled?

Hello guys, I posted this message in the wrong board.

Im confused about the modeling on the M4a1 Tank.

I went to buy me a model from 21st Century Toys wich someone told me it was an exact replica of the real thingy...but I noticed that the turret was longer than the ones in my CMBO Simulator.

Im adding a Pic of my model in the hopes that any of you could point me in the right direction about this.

m41a.jpg

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Venjra ICQ 2126434 ]</p>

Trust me on this: that picture is no M4 of any kind. That appears to be either an M41 or M47.

A quick trip to google.com (or your preferred web search engine) will bring up many, many pages devoted to the M4 Sherman in all its varieties, and you can compare the pictures/statistics to what is in BTS.

DjB

That "tank" isn't anything- except for some dream out of a toy maker's imagination! Let's examine the image.

Those tubes at the very front ontop of the fenders. Are those machine guns? Get real. No tank I know mounted "co-ax dual hull-mounted machine guns".

Who would mount a barrel traveling lock to the right side rather than directly in the center? (see illustrations of the PzKW V and VIB)

Where is the driver hatch?

The drive sprockets are all wrong. As is the entire suspension.

The stowage at the rear of the turret isn't anything realistic; especially the gas can at the very rear.

What are the large things in front of the turret hatches. Pre-mounted binoculars?

The commander's machine gun- a very poor modelling of a .50cal. Also, very interesting mounting for his hatch- unfortunately, it would be an engineering nightmare.

This is just what comes quickly to mind. This thing is a model of nothing that has yet been developed (nor probably ever will be). Anyone else want to add discrepancies?

This just goes to illustrate how incredibly CONFUSING the whole U.S. Army classification system was in WWII. An "M1" could be a rifle (Garand), an AT gun (pick either 37 or 57mm), a helmet (standard G.I. pot), whatever. It just meant the first model of that particular item. For example, there were both the "Light Tank, M3" (Stuart) and the "Medium Tank, M3" (Grant). When the Stuart was updated, it was originally proposed to call it the "Light Tank, M4" but someone actually _thought_ about it and called it the M5 instead to avoid confusion with the Sherman.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Those tubes at the very front ontop of the fenders. Are those machine guns? Get real. No tank I know mounted "co-ax dual hull-mounted machine guns". <hr></blockquote>

Those are called mufflers. Smoke comes out of them.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Who would mount a barrel traveling lock to the right side rather than directly in the center? (see illustrations of the PzKW V and VIB) <hr></blockquote>

That is to save space during shipping.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Where is the driver hatch? <hr></blockquote>

In the front. You are looking at the rear of the tank. Notice the fuel cap.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> The drive sprockets are all wrong. As is the entire suspension. <hr></blockquote>

Considering you don't know what kind of tank this is, that is a bold statement.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> The stowage at the rear of the turret isn't anything realistic; especially the gas can at the very rear. <hr></blockquote>

Why not?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>What are the large things in front of the turret hatches. Pre-mounted binoculars? <hr></blockquote>

Lights.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> The commander's machine gun- a very poor modelling of a .50cal. Also, very interesting mounting for his hatch- unfortunately, it would be an engineering nightmare. <hr></blockquote>

Looks like a good model to me. What's so "interesting" about that hatch?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> This is just what comes quickly to mind. This thing is a model of nothing that has yet been developed (nor probably ever will be). Anyone else want to add discrepancies? <hr></blockquote>

I'll have to go tell some Korean War tankers that their tank didn't exist. I'll be right back.

Gyrene

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Gyrene ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gyrene:

I'll have to go tell some Korean War tankers that their tank didn't exist. I'll be right back.

Gyrene

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Gyrene ]<hr></blockquote>

Thank you Gyrene for one of the funniest pomposity bursting posts that I've read on this board.

'Where's the drivers hatch?'

'It's the back of the tank - note the fuel filler cap'

Tee hee hee

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Zitadelle:

No tank I know mounted "co-ax dual hull-mounted machine guns".

<hr></blockquote>

The early M3 Stuart had a pair of sponson-mounted MGs. 5 MGs: yum! smile.gif Did that early Stuart variety make it to the Eastern Front (i.e. might it be in CMBB)?

- Chris

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wolfe:

The early M3 Stuart had a pair of sponson-mounted MGs. 5 MGs: yum! smile.gif Did that early Stuart variety make it to the Eastern Front (i.e. might it be in CMBB)?

- Chris<hr></blockquote>

Actually, early model M4A1 Shermans had twin MG's in a fixed mount sticking out of the front of the hull.