OT: Question regarding authenticity of Tiger Tanks in SPR

After watching SPR on DVD a few times and the going back to it and slow motioning certain scenes, like the german halftrack scene and a bunch of spots in the end battle, are those real Tiger tanks being used in the film? They look very real with zimmerit paste and all.

I think there is some good evidence to suggest that some of those Tigers were actaully CGI

computer generated imagery....

I would suggest that anything Speilberg and Hanks did together that was edited by Dreamworks would almost surely have some CGI tanks in it.

-tom w

Guest KwazyDog

I havnt seen the movie for a while but going from memory if you check out the road wheel configuration you will see that they are defiantely not Tigers.

If I recall the configuration indeed looks like a T-34's road wheels wink.gif

Dan

More than likely they're the mod'd up T-34s since working Tigers are practically nonexistent. Matter of fact, I have a book at home regarding Panzers and it mentioned that the some French museum has the only operating Tiger tank. Every year they bring it out for some sort of commemoration. Still looks/sounds intimidating for a 50+ year old tank they say.

As far as SPR though, bad idea from that Panzer commander to lead his tank without his infantry support. If anything the panzer should have stayed further back to provide fire support with all those MG's and the dreaded '88. The Captain and his boys would have a much harder time. They didn't even have a bazooka from what I recall. That would've made it even more difficult without one.

Oh well, at least in SPR they tried quite well to give the appearance of a Tiger. Even alot of my favorite WWII flicks didn't use panzers. Hell, in "Battle of the Bulge" I could tell when I was 8 yrs old(I built lots of models okay?) that those fearsome Panzers were wholesale, genuine American tanks... that weren't from WWII. And the ones Telly Savalas and his crew used? M24 Chaffee tanks! Against the big "Panzers"! Ha!

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

[This message has been edited by Warmaker (edited 01-02-2001).]

The tracks too...

I rember seeing the Tiger rumbling down the street and realizing the tracks were T-34 tracks. Take a look and you'll see the wide pitch tracks with a kind of waffle pattern in the cast track. T34 tracks have a very wide pitch... or length compared to the tiger. Once we got a shot of the non-overlapping wheels, I knew it was some sort of worked up T34. They did an amazing job with the superstructure though.

scott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

Heavily modified T34/85s were used as the Tigers in Saving Private Ryan (now that's what I call a conversion)!

check out SPR Tigers for more information.

Mace<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting read, Mace.

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LONG life!"-Minsc, BGII

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Warmaker:

More than likely they're the mod'd up T-34s since working Tigers are practically nonexistent. Matter of fact, I have a book at home regarding Panzers and it mentioned that the some French museum has the only operating Tiger tank. Every year they bring it out for some sort of commemoration. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bovington is planning to have theirs operational by September - I was lucky enough to see it when I went there in October.

http://www.tankmuseum.co.uk/tiger.html

Bloody big machine, even more impressive than the King Tiger they had there.

And for the aficionados biggrin.gif

http://www.tiger-tank.com/secure/gallery.htm

Enjoy

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 01-02-2001).]