Question to Canadians (and others)

Would you have bought the game if Canada wasn't involved and do you prefer making or using Canadian scenarios.

I know there's lots of you, I saw you guys in the other thread.

If you are not Canadian have you read about the exploits of Canada in WWII

...just asking

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the addition was quite nice. I would have still bought the game with or without us in it but it is good to see. Often we get lumped in with the Brits and forgotten. They even got the flag right.

To be honest, I didn't even know our troops were modeled when I ordered.

I do admit to liking using them from time to time. But they do have shortcomings much like the Brits.

An intersting aside, I have played the Worthington Force Scenario which is based on a British Columbia Regt action in Normandy. Vicious fight but what is really interesting is that my Grandfather actually fought in the action. He was a Sherman crewman and was in one of the eight tanks which actually got out alive.

Guest Babra

I probably would have bought it if Canadians weren't included -- come to think of it, I'm not sure I even knew they WERE included until it showed up.

I don't really play them more than I play any other nationality.

I doubt many foreigners do much reading on the Canadian contribution -- most books on the subject are published here and I expect very few are exported. That's a reality, not a criticism.

It currently is great that Canadians were included in CM and although I really have no preference to play a certain country, it certainly is an added bonus morale (my morale, of course) effect to play as the Canadians. A great scenario for Canadians is the "Hit the Coast" scenario which depicts the fighting along the coast of France in which the Canadians were heavily involved.

Hoopenfaust wrote:

Would you have bought the game if Canada wasn't involved and do you prefer making or using Canadian scenarios.

I know there's lots of you, I saw you guys in the other thread.

If you are not Canadian have you read about the exploits of Canada in WWII

...just asking

I bought the game as soon as I read the write-up on "Inside Mac Games." I do remember the article talking about Cancuks being included, but that had little bearing on my decision to buy. I visited the Battlefront site and ordered straight away. smile.gif

I do LOVE to play as the Canadians. They do have their limitations, but they also have some good points. (All them 2 inch mortars!) Also, I dislike the fact that they just use the American voice files. Could have thrown a few French Canadian-isms and "ah-BOOOts" in there, eh?

I cannot bring myself to play against the Canadians. But I do play all the other nationalities. There are some good (and BAD) Canadian scenarios out there. One thing I do find a bit odd are Canadian scenarios with a LOT of CRACK or ELITE units in them. I like to think most of the Cancuk units were regular (well trained) with the occasional/rare VET/CRACK units.

On a side note, I was wondering if any of you Canucks have heard about the Canadian Airborne Unit (outfitted as, and led by British) that jumped on D-Day with the British Airborne landings? I'd love to research a scenario on those landings. (Guess I'd have to use British Paras, though.) (I read about said airborne unit through a Canadian Airborne Website.) (Are these stories true?)

Anyway, I love the game. And would have loved it even without the Canucks included.

KFS

Panzerman, I just visited your scenario zone and saw that you need info on the last battles around Caen.

I've got a vast amount of Canadian WWII books so if you've got any questions.

I'm doing several canadian maps but I really don't enjoy setting the "troops" up for a balanced play. If anyone wants maps made (I'm a detail person) I'd be happy to do them, but you'll hafta add the fightin' armies.

I have just gone from playing Germs exclusively to Canadian Scenarios and Campaigns. If you have some, especially MODS, please tell me where to go to get them. I got most of my Canadian stuff from Michael Dorosh (hope I got his name right)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hoopenfaust 101:

Panzerman, I just visited your scenario zone and saw that you need info on the last battles around Caen.

I've got a vast amount of Canadian WWII books so if you've got any questions.

I'm doing several canadian maps but I really don't enjoy setting the "troops" up for a balanced play. If anyone wants maps made (I'm a detail person) I'd be happy to do them, but you'll hafta add the fightin' armies.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok. Sounds good. Ill send you a line.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YECoyote:

I have just gone from playing Germs exclusively to Canadian Scenarios and Campaigns. If you have some, especially MODS, please tell me where to go to get them. I got most of my Canadian stuff from Michael Dorosh (hope I got his name right)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're the first one that has!

I am always on the lookout to host historical battles/operations by different designers featuring Canadian forces; feel free to email me.

I too would have purchased the game even if Canadians weren't included; luckily on the tactical level they weren't all that different from the British, and that is reflected in the game. I do love that they use American voice files rather than British - a very nice touch, as is the Red Ensign. I am continually grateful to BTS for getting these little details right.

I tried playing as Canadians but having people running around armed with nothing but hockey sticks and Lovat Blue wasn't my idea of fun (actually it is my exact idea of fun).

;)

Don't mind me, I'm just mad I live in Southern California and have to pay money in order to skate on ice! :D

p.s. Go Kings!

Guest Babra

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Banshee:

...nothing but hockey sticks and Lovat Blue...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that like Labatt?

Well, there certainly seems to be enough of us Canucks out there...It is a very nice touch to include us in the game but the designers seemed to be trying to be as realistic as possible and it would have been a travesty not to have included a representation of the Canadian forces, considering that Canada fielded a sizeable fighting force (as a side note, did anyone realize that we had the 3rd largest navy in the world by the end of WWII?). I play as the Canadian Forces (and the British) as much as possible b/c I enjoy the challenges and it's not the same old Axis vs the Americans you see in a lot of other computer war games (sometimes you'd wonder whether people thought it was only the US who fought in WWII against the Axis). I remember playing West Front and searching all over for the Battle Pack Add-on just so I could campaighn as the Canadian Forces. I probably would have bought the game even without Canada's inclusion just b/c Combat Mission is such a new way of playing wargames. :cool:

Canada is cool :cool: !

There are some very good CM scenarios with Canadian forces. I recommand "Worthington Force" (on Combat Missions site)which is pretty well designed(The Map is a jewel of realism)."Bloody Buron" I and II are very interesting too.

I also made a scenario "Ein Würfelspiel"(M. Dorosh site)about the fierce night combat between the 12thPzDiv and the Regina Rifle. I only use the "crack" or "elite" status for a particular squad or team to simulate their heroic behaviour (IE: Piat-man Joe Lapointe who was the first guy who destroyed a Panther

on the West Front in a close-combat fight).

Xavier I've played all of your scenarios. They are some the best ones I've played that have to do with the Canadians. You've got a good touch. You need to release them in a large pack in english so our international community can understand the briefings.

I play the Canadians almost to the exclusion of all other nationalities. (which works out well, because most of my opponents have preferred being the Germans.)

I will confess that I enjoy beating up on the SS most of all.

While I'm in the thread... anyone point the direction to some good Falaise Gap scenarios?

I definitely would have bought the game if it hadn't included the Canadians, but I was glad to see us included nonetheless.

My memory is terrible, but I have read several books about the Canadian experience in WWII. Just finished one called "Steel My Soldiers Hearts", which gave a pretty grim portrayal of a Canadian tanker. "Ortona" was a good read as well, although that was Italy, not Normandy.

I'm trying to get more stuff about the Sheldt Estuary battles, which sounded really brutal.

GAFF

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gaffertape:

I'm trying to get more stuff about the Sheldt Estuary battles, which sounded really brutal.

GAFF<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find Tug of War by Whitaker if you haven't already.

And to comment on the RCN comment - we also had the 4th largest air force in the world in 1945 (if for however brief a time).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hoopenfaust 101:

Xavier I've played all of your scenarios. They are some the best ones I've played that have to do with the Canadians. You've got a good touch. You need to release them in a large pack in english so our international community can understand the briefings.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hoopenfaust, two scenarios involving canadian forces are already translated : "Bloody Buron" (from Joël Montagu) and "Ein Würfelspiel" (from Xavier). These two scenarios are available at Appui-Feu (on the Scenarios pages).

If anybody wants to make a translation of "Charnwood" from French to English, I'll be glad to put it online at Appui-Feu, after what I'll release a pack with the three scenarios smile.gif.