The use of “Guns” in Combat Mission.

There certainly isn't any shortage of towed gun experts I see. Thanks fellas for a very informative thread. I mean that. Now reread Redwolf's last post 10 times. He's right you know. Fun and realism go out the window with the gun virus that has infected the community. :eek:

Treeburst155 out.

[ 05-26-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

For the Germans, in those scenarios especially where tanks are heavily involved, you know all to well many Allied players' love for light armor such as the Stuarts, M10/M18 TDs, and all those Halftracks with those blasted .50 cals. The 50mm ATG is cheap, has more than enough punch to deal with them at any facing, has a quick ROF and is very easy to hide. Stuarts are wet paper bags to these things. Put these cheap defenses on your Big Cats flanks on the defense and you can be assured they'll give the Allies some problems. Usually, simply rushing by past these things is not a good option due to the fast ROF and traverse. Your stress levels should go down a bit with these things.

Of all the heavier ATGs, as much as I'd love to get an 88 for its punch and blast values they're just waaay to expensive in CMBO. I tend to settle for the 75mm ATGs. Still, it's an excellent gun to pop the top of any soda can, barring Jumbos/Pershings/Churchills.

The 75mm Inf.Gun I really don't use much but has their uses for suppression and such. Good thing for it is it's cheap. But if I'm in the mood for Infantry Guns, when I get them, I get them BIG. Go for the 150mm gun, and you won't be sorry. Nothing is more satisfying than to send a whole company of green, cowardly infantry scurrying back home when they take a blast or two from these things. Big Guns never tire, baby! And with Scipio's sound mods, the 150mm sounds very satisfying...

Puppchens are good short ranged tank killers but give their positions away very easily. Same goes for the 75mm/105mm recoilless rifles. If you ever see me field Puppchens, then you've gotten waaaay to deep in my defenses. In other words, I'm in deep sh!t.

I agree with redwold that guns should only be used when on the defense, unless there is a towing vehicle. Even then I personally choose to rarely use guns, maybe occaisionally buying one just for a change.

But in a defense -- ahh, there I load up on guns. They are the Germans best defensive weapon, and were used heavily in the defensive operations of the last year of the war.

Really, guns were used when on the offense too. I am reading a book of Rommels papers, and the general often speaks of getting his field guns up and in line for engagements. He too, had a great respect for the 88.

Especially early on when the French and British had some thickly armored AFVs (at that time) in the invasion of France. The panzers had a difficult time dealing with them and the 88mm FlaKs had to be used in an emergency... and a legend was born.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Warmaker:

Of all the heavier ATGs, as much as I'd love to get an 88 for its punch and blast values they're just waaay to expensive in CMBO. I tend to settle for the 75mm ATGs. Still, it's an excellent gun to pop the top of any soda can, barring Jumbos/Pershings/Churchills.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Warmaker. When are you going to change your name to "Soda Can" and be done with it? ;)

Regards

Jim R.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Hays:

One of my favorite gun is the 75mm Inf gun. I use this little devil in city fighting, woods, and open terrain. It is quite effective at taking on infantry at long ranges and it is movable by it s crew. It even has a good chance of at least damaging a tank and not to mention a great halftrack killer. They almost always end up dead but nothing better to have enemy infantry occupy a building only to be faced with a 75 inf gun sitting a few rows over pounding them with infantry support of course.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree, the 75mm is a good one...good against most targets short of heavy armor. The best part is that it is relatively mobile. I'm playing one game where my kubel got shot up stranding the gun. So I had the crew push it up the hill to a spot where it can see the enemy and is covered by some MGs and fired away. It takes light buildings out in about one turn, and does well against inf. My friend got one that managed to take out 2 of my churchills as they crested a hill one turn. That one got me pretty angry, but since I've been using them, I have nothing but praise for them.

[ 05-27-2001: Message edited by: Wolfpack ]

Why nobody talked about the german 37 mm flak? This gun is wicked accurate (it is a little less accurate than the 20mm flak), very hard to spot (like the 20mm), and is able to knock out almost any tank with a flank hit. Also, with a 24 blast, it can take buildings down and kill stationary inf quite well.

So, the only thing you must do is find a good place to hide with good LOS, which can be far away (and you still have >70% chance to hit) and wait a tank to show its soft side. You can also get a distraction on the other side of the at the end of the turn, and then wait for the enemy tanks to turn. They won't even know what hit them. I got four tanks in the same turn once, and the gun wasn't even found!

I just love the axis 88. I allways purchase Tigers and King Tigers, just b/c they have it. :D

Against infantry I usually have 20mm quad flak or 75mm infantry gun. Why? -Just 'cos they are quite cheap and have a great effect to slow down or stop the assault. A well spotted fire of 170mm guns is quite nice too. Tough they are bit too expensive to purchase just to kill some infantry.

To make that clear: I don't propose that attackers must not use guns and I have no doubt that historically they were part of the offensive.

What I am against is that the attacker may set them up so that they cover the defenders position without the gun ever moving.

Either use them only for flank and rearguard security not in LOS of defense position and flags or move (not put) them into such a position and face the risk of being spottet on the move.

That would also reward good observation by the defender.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zero the hero:

that one was supposed to be a reply to panzerwerfer42's cryptic suggestion that the pak 43's look alike<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoopsy, I made a scenario that had both once and thought I stuck the two different ones next to each other to compare. I guess I made both Pak43/1s.

On the subject of traverse speeds - if yuo play the "Axis Campaign" (see the Scenario boards) in one game you get an 88mm bunker.

Without giving too much away I had a little duel between this and the AI-crewed-sherman. The Sherman was using "popup" - ie it would come up to a crest, shoot 1 shot, then reverse. The Bunker would target it, swing onto it, then lose it and retarget some infantry.

The gun never got a ahot at the Sherman, even though it was never more than 5-10 degrees away from theinfantry directly in front of the bunker.

Eventually the stupid bloody bunker used up all it's AP shooting at a god-damned 60mm mortar!! :mad:

So that's 40+ each of HE and AP used up by the one gun - it had exactly 4 smoke as it's only ammo at the end of the game (and yes I tried to use those to smoke in front of the Sherman too, but it wouldn't bloody fire them!)!! :eek:

Of course the bunker did kill a few other vehicles, but that last bloody sherman pissed me off no-end!! :eek:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Hey Warmaker. When are you going to change your name to "Soda Can" and be done with it? ;)

Regards

Jim R.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:D Nah, I'll never change my name, I like it too much. Besides, why should I change it to my Big Cats' favorite beverage containers? Also it's part of the panzer-complex I've got... ;)