Do you all have 50Mhz 486 PC or something?

Well I've been playing on a 'old' P II 400,

but with a very good GeForce II card. But with all the mods and such, I get a 'twinkly' display at times and some hesitation when commands are executed. I'm finally remeding this with a Athlon 1.4 that should be showing up in about a week smile.gif

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marco Bergman:

I for one will be happy if BTS doesn't move the required specs too far forwards, or else I won't be modding for CM:BTB I'm afraid. My money is required elsewhere.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it comes to that I will buy you a new computer. Well, I won't, but somebody better! You can come use my computer if you need to, but the airfare would be a bit prohibitive.

My computer is my primary source of home entertainment. I think I could go without TV longer than I could go without my computer (games, internet, etc.). As a result, I upgrage my computer whenever it can't smoothly run the software I want it to. I'm not the type that has to have the fastest and the best, but when I buy a new computer I get the best I can afford, with the expectation that it will last at least two, and hopefully three years. I upgrade individual components if the improvement warrants it, but I prefer to get a whole new system every few years. I give my old computers to friends and family, which makes them happy. I know not everyone can afford to upgrade that often, and I understand BTS's desire to make CM playable by as many people as possible. Luckily they leave some options open so that talented people like Marco can make the game even better for those of us that have computers that can handle the enhancements.

This thread is like bad addiction ... no pleasure but you just keep coming back ... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I wanted to see the conversation go another way. Ok Panzer if you're so gung-ho for BTS to shoot for mid-range systems, how would CM be different? What improvements are you talking about that you wouldn't get with the BTS' philosophy on system requirements (that is, to include low-end systems as well)?

I think this is a far more important question. I think that when we get down to just what improvements we'd like (graphically), we'll find that we want it all (i.e. requiring a bleeding edge system).

I just get the sense we're coming off like greedy little children, whining when we see something 'better'. "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can I have it?"

Just my $.02 of the moment ...

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: Greenman ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greenman:

TOk Panzer if you're so gung-ho for BTS to shoot for mid-range systems, how would CM be different?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Wait a second! :eek:

You do not want to bring CONTENT to this topic, now, do you?!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Wait a second! :eek:

You do not want to bring CONTENT to this topic, now, do you?!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Content!!? The Horror, the Horror ...

tongue.gif

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: Greenman ]

another way. Ok Panzer if you're so gung-ho for BTS to shoot for mid-range systems, how would CM be different? What improvements are you talking about that you wouldn't get with the BTS' philosophy on system requirements (that is, to include low-end systems as well)?

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: Greenman ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, as it has been noted, I would hate to bring content to the thread at this time! smile.gif

But, to answer your question; if you have the patiance to read through my posts (as Im sure nobody has now smile.gif ) you will see that my point was this: IF the development of the new 3d engine was hampered because BTS was trying to include low end systems, I suggested they should stop supporting it. Of course I want CM to be as good as it can be!

But, tof course limits, thats why I wrote that IF so was the case they should rather aim at the mid-top end market. But, for a number of reasons this topic is to early to begin to discuss, and proberly no point in anyway as I think BTS very well will follow their own strategy which as been formed already. Is that an anwers enough? And could we now please leave this topic alone and get back to the real posts with no content? ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer76:

But, to answer your question; if you have the patiance to read through my posts (as Im sure nobody has now smile.gif ) you will see that my point was this: IF the development of the new 3d engine was hampered because BTS was trying to include low end systems, I suggested they should stop supporting it. Of course I want CM to be as good as it can be!

But, tof course limits, thats why I wrote that IF so was the case they should rather aim at the mid-top end market. But, for a number of reasons this topic is to early to begin to discuss, and proberly no point in anyway as I think BTS very well will follow their own strategy which as been formed already. Is that an anwers enough? And could we now please leave this topic alone and get back to the real posts with no content? ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In other words, "IF I'm not getting everything I want, then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE gimme"? Like I said, we sound like spoiled children.

In other words, "IF I'm not getting everything I want, then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE gimme"? Like I said, we sound like spoiled children.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can think of MUCH more that BTS can't POSSIBLE include in the game! :D

If you think that makes us sound like spoiled children, fine. I don't think so. Should we then just be happy with the state of the engine and never ask for improvements, because then we are spoiled children, because, it's a great game already(that was a long sentence! smile.gif )? Not in my opinion. We disagree, let's just accept that.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> In other words, "IF I'm not getting everything I want, then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE gimme"? Like I said, we sound like spoiled children. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Panzer is simply stating, if I am reading what I think I'm reading, that he is afraid BTS will build less of a game than they really want to so that they can keep the system requirements low, and that he would rather raise the requirements to allow them to build the game the REALLY want to make. How is that childish?

Should we then just be happy with the state of the engine and never ask for improvements.......

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, there is always room for improvements in EVERYTHING that life consists of.

What a boring world it would be if we were to be content with everything that comes our way.. So if asking for improvements is seen by some as being "a spoilt child" then so be it.....

As every spoilt child knows,

"Is you don't ask, you don't get"

:D;):rolleyes:

smile.gif :cool: tongue.gif

Smilies added because this is such a colourful thread.

What are the prices for computers/parts in New Zealand.

Panzer<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for the late response. My mouse died. Try using windows without a mouse and see how far you get... anyway that's another NZ$109 down the drain for an Intellimouse Optical.

Some current prices: (NZ PC World, August 2001)

HP Vectra VL400 (P3-933, 128MB SDRAM, 30GB HD, 17" monitor, Matrox G450, CD ROM: NZ$6217

Dell Dimension 4100 (P3-866, 128MB SDRAM, 20GB HD, 17" monitor, GeForce2 GTS, CD ROM: NZ$3803

TL Powerstation (Athlon-1200, 128MB SDRAM, 20GB HD, 15" monitor, GeForce2 MX, CD ROM: NZ$2990

And for a top-spec machine:

TL Dream Machine (Athlon-1330, 512MB SDRAM, 45GB HD, 18" LCD, GeForce3, CD-RW, DVD: NZ$8995

$3000 is a lot of money for a toy.

I'd like a GeForce2 MX, but the cheapest is NZ$329, so I'll wait a bit longer.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marco Bergman:

HP Vectra VL400 (P3-933, 128MB SDRAM, 30GB HD, 17" monitor, Matrox G450, CD ROM: NZ$6217

$3000 is a lot of money for a toy.

I'd like a GeForce2 MX, but the cheapest is NZ$329, so I'll wait a bit longer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

who'd buy an HP PC anyways :P

and if i were you, i wouldnt go out and buy the latest and greatest, the price is always waaaay to much...And that HP is just STUPID! must be made of gold for that price...

if you want a MSI GeForceII MX400 with 64MBRAM, you can get em for $198 at www.e-one.co.nz, which is almost half your cheapest price smile.gif i got one, works sweet as.

and you might as well get RAM from there as well, $78 for a 256 stick, altho i've only heard its good, cannot verify...i use Aussie made Legend stuff myself, same price, but Intel certified, looks like the bloody Aussies have done something right eh? :D

and NZ dollars are like double US dollars, so halve everything for the mighty Yankee Dollar, US$40 a good price for 256 133Mhz SDRAM?

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: Tripps ]