Who has the slowest Mac?

Out of curiousity, who has the slowest mac that runs CM? How long does it take to compile a Company sized battle? I was wondering because sometimes it seems to take forever on my 500 mghtz G3, but then I think about the people with 90 mghtz PowerPC processors and wonder how bad it really is with a slow computer.

Regards,

Ryan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

500 MHz G3? I thought that G4's were 400 MHz and higher.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, actually the iMac DV SE (what I have) is 500 mghtz but still a G3. I think that this is the fastest G3 out there, although those new flower iMacs might have 550/600 mghtz G3. Sometimes I wish that I had a G4, but with 384 meg RAM (excluding virtual memory) I'm satisfied.

Regards,

Ryan

Panther G,

I might win that contest.

Gen One iMac, 233 MHz G3

64 MB RAM (added 32), 2 MB VRAM ATI Rage Pro

6 GB HD, OS 8.6

If you check the official BTS recommended minimum specs, you'll find my rig doesn't meet them. Happily, it still runs CM at 640 x 480 with full smoke but no fog visuals. Haven't run the time-to-compile test you describe, though.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Kettler:

Panther G,

I might win that contest.

Gen One iMac, 233 MHz G3

64 MB RAM (added 32), 2 MB VRAM ATI Rage Pro

6 GB HD, OS 8.6

If you check the official BTS recommended minimum specs, you'll find my rig doesn't meet them. Happily, it still runs CM at 640 x 480 with full smoke but no fog visuals. Haven't run the time-to-compile test you describe, though.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: John Kettler ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No wonder you don't use mods. :eek: You're still trying to live with a what, I'm guessing here, a 4 year old machine?

Why don't you go spend $1000 and get you a 1+GHz PC and get into real gaming.

Maximus,

If you think long and hard you might come up with a reasonable explanation for why I haven't. If my cybernetic poverty concerns you so much, you are more than welcome to buy me

a top of the line Mac or maybe a fully rigged

1.7 GHz Area51, Falcon or similar PC system. I will not only be grateful but relieved, knowing that I've at last met your cybernetic expectations concerning me.

Sincerely,

John Kettler

Well, when CM first came out, I was running a 150 MHz 604 (not even a 604e) with only the onboard RAGE II+ video card (so had to play in software) I've upgraded since then though.

Why would he want to waste $1k on a PC?

Ben

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: Ben Galanti ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ben Galanti:

Why would he want to waste $1k on a PC?

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: Ben Galanti ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't even start that. I guess my 300MHz G3 isn't so bad... 16mb ATI Rage 128 with 193RAM could be geting anther 120mb on top of that. Max not even one has $1000 to spend on computers... I don't.

I've briefly played CM on a 200mhz 604 driven Power Mac 7300 with the twin turbo card. Scrolled slowly and looked like crap, but it was playable. Turn crunching wasn't all that bad.

I have access to even slower macs (A 100mhz 601 powered 7500, for example) but it'd be a pretty futile experiment.

My Rev D iMac (333mhz) ran fine for me until I got a DP533 G4, it seems like a real slug now when I play local TCP/IP games between the two.

The slowest PC I've tried CM with was a 133mhz Pentium with 32mb of RAM and an 8mb Rage card. The stock 4mb Virge card was useless.

The PC ran freaking slowly too. A lot more RAM might have made it more tolerable.

Gyrene

I first ran CM Beta demo with my Power Computing clone.

180Mhz 603 processor.

48MB's of RAM and an integrated 2MB Ati Rage II card.

Then I upgraded the graphics with Rage Orion 16MB card.

I don't remember if I sitll had that when CM came out.

Then I borrowed a 8600/250Mhz tower from work.

Along with a nice 20" monitor. 224MB's of RAM was good.

But the 8MB non-3D onboard graphics were not,

so I moved the Orion to it. Dual monitor sweetness!

Early this year I bought a 400Mhz G3 upgrade to the

machine and that's what I'm playing with now.

I guess in about 1,5-2 years, when we switch to G5's at work,

I'll be able to grab me a G4.

No need to buy a new computer if CMII is still

at least two years away.

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: Jarmo ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panther G:

Out of curiousity, who has the slowest mac that runs CM? How long does it take to compile a Company sized battle? I was wondering because sometimes it seems to take forever on my 500 mghtz G3, but then I think about the people with 90 mghtz PowerPC processors and wonder how bad it really is with a slow computer.

Regards,

Ryan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think there is something wrong with your computer. I have a G3 500 Powerbook... and there isn't a scenerio out there that choaks it (and there are a couple at Der Kessel that try). I have a few PCs that I have tried it on that are faster, but you couldn't tell by the performance of CM. My PB seems to run CM faster than Bauhaus' 1.2GHz PC (care to chime in Bauhaus?)

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: Berlichtingen ]

Regards,

Ryan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, I started out playing on a 7200/ 120 (48 MB RAM) with NO videocard, just 4 VRAM (internal) :eek:

Did it work? Yeah, it did. But once in a while a Fog of War came out of my Mac ;)

Graphics were of course no where near to being as nice as you can see on many screenshots... But, it worked remarkably well smile.gif

Now, I have a 9600/350 with 448 MB RAM, and the original videocard in it (IXMicro or something), no 3D, I guess. Does *that* work?

Yeah, it does. Quite well thank you :) Graphics are actually pretty good.

Speed of processing is ok, usually. Of course if you try Nijmegen as a scenario (I wonder if that scenario is truly non-fictious, but that's for another thread), yeah, then it takes about 15 to 20 seconds before it is done calculating...

What really helps, BTW, is upping the RAM for CM to say 100 MBs. That really, really helps. As mentoned many times beore all over the Forum. Worthwhile to repeat though, IMHO.

Summarizing, yes you can play, but be patient , if you have an older Mac. :D

FWIW

Kolonel FLW

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

I think there is something wrong with your computer. I have a G3 500 Powerbook... and there isn't a scenerio out there that choaks it (and there are a couple at Der Kessel that try). I have a few PCs that I have tried it on that are faster, but you couldn't tell by the performance of CM. My PB seems to run CM faster than Bauhaus' 1.2GHz PC (care to chime in Bauhaus?)

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: Berlichtingen ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think anything's wrong with my computer. It probably depends on your definition of choking up. I would call 2 mins. choking up, (it always seems to take longer if rockets are involved, anyone know why?) although it only does that occasionaly. When I'm talking about how long it takes I mean both the computer player thinking screen, and the little blue line at the bottom. I know how you guys feel about slow macs. I tried CM (just for fun of course) on my old Power Mac 7200 603 90 mghtz, 32 meg RAM computer, and it was so slow. It took 2 mins just to load 3-D graphics and then another 5 to do a turn.

Regards,

Ryan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I know how you guys feel about slow macs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTW Berli isnt one of the Mac critics

as he said himself

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I have a G3 500 Powerbook... My PB seems to run CM faster than Bauhaus' 1.2GHz PC <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Panther G

Could be I was the only one who misunderstood

see below smile.gif

|

V

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: jeffsmith ]

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: jeffsmith ]

I don't think anything's wrong with my computer. It probably depends on your definition of choking up. I would call 2 mins. choking up, (it always seems to take longer if rockets are involved, anyone know why?) although it only does that occasionaly<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you don't mind, send me the file that takes that long. I don't think i have ever had a two minute wait (except for the e-mail download on my crappy connection smile.gif )

I piddle along on my 233mtz RevB iMac and most often on my Lime slot loader 400mhz iMac. I once set every thing to maximum, map, forces and so on. It took a long time to crunch the turn (@5min iirc), but once it was playing the movie it was fine, I really noticed the horizon on that map as i would scroll along and units would be popping up as I came within visual range. Overall my wimpy under vramed microscreened computers have done very well.

You don't even need $1K for a new PC. Between ebay, Price Wacth, and overclockers.com you could build 1 gig system for $500. All you need is a $27 AMD Duron 700, overclock it to a 1000+ mhz and a water cooling system. You can't overclock a mac, can you? (not that it's worth it)

I just looked at overclockers, one person made 1705 mhz with a Duron 700 with core voltage!