Where were you when the quake hit?

In the Pacific Northwest the quake was a 6.8 and of course I was playing CM here in Vancouver. The quake did cause a short delay while the house shook during my TCP/IP game but I did manage to finish the game.

BTW there was no damage to my house..only on the battlefield smile.gif

Guest Lord General MB

Sir,

The quake messed up some of my papers at 1srt Army HQ in Vancouver, (West Van, near Park Royal). Not much of anything though.

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

Hi Mom (OT smile.gif )

Michael LOL, I remember with Mt St Helens that the reports back east had the entire Pacific NW blown to smitheerns....

I was here at work on the sixth floor in the "other " Vancouver (Washington, USA ya gits) and the buildings did shake and rock. We were glad to discover that our contractor in our office bldg followed the blueprints and apparently didn't short us on materials!

Guest Lord General MB

Soldier,

Rw:

Where in Vancouver are you?

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

When the quake hit I was watching Das Boot and playing CM at the same time. I said, crap, thats an eartquake and i'm on the bottom floor of a 3 story apartment building so I ran outside into the middle of the parking lot and watched the trees shake. Then I realized I had no shoes or socks on and it was cold... so I went back in and finished my game.

I was sitting at work in Portland, just got done taking an unofficial break reading the forums! In fact, Im taking one of those right now!!! And all of a sudden all hell breaks loose.. Light fixtures going to and fro! Hanging ceilings ominously swaying heavily! Being my first earthquake (im here on an internship) i almost paniced!! but 45 seconds later it was all done.. went to the bathroom to see about the mess i made in the pants though... Overall.. id say it was fun! im ready for a few aftershocks! BTW, they bumped it up to 7.0 on the scale.. - media shock value, im sure

Zaff'

I'm from Vancouver too, but I'm sad to say that I slept through it... I was up till 5 am last night (not playing CM, something more important smile.gif). I did wake up right around 11 am, though, so it might have awakened me from my deep slumber. I didn't know about the quake until I flipped to CNN as I was eating breakfast around noon. My mom always said I could sleep through an earthquake biggrin.gif

To the other Vancouverites out there, I'm a grad student at UBC and live on campus in Point Grey. My labmates say they felt the tremors. Apparently it registered as a 5.0 on the Richter scale here?

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited 02-28-2001).]

Well consider this....

Portland sits at the base, or at least near the base, of an inactive volcano....well...there has been speculation that it is due to erupt and become active again at some point....

You people in the NW better watch out or one day that Volcano may blow and bury Portland!

Keith

------------------

Operation CultureK

Check it out today for Great Combat Mission Content!

I was sitting in a truck at a red light between two microsoft buildings. "Roughly" 50 miles north of the epicenter.

The truck began a slight forward & back jerking motion along with MAJOR rolling side to side motion. I spent most of the time trying to figure out what was wrong with the truck and concluded something was wrong with the transmission/clutch along with a coincidentally occurring sheared motor mount.

Then I looked up & noted all the stoplight poles were rocking side to side. I looked to the sides and noted the trees were swaying. So concluded it was a wind tunnel effect, as I was between two buildings and had seen the effect before... of course I was a bit amazed at the force of the wind required to rock that truck from side to side like that.

Then I noticed people pouring out of the microsoft buildings and came to a different conclusion. (this time the correct one *grin*).

It was an "A" ride, although way too short. I want a refund for the lack of ride duration.

Guest Rob/1

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Earthquake? I thought that was just some 14" naval artillery shells hitting outside my house...

LOL!

I'm right in the southwest part of Seattle doing some work on the second floor of an apartment building. And never felt a thing. I was surprised when someone told me there was an earthquake. Of course, since I'm from Los Angeles originally, it has to be a big one before I feel it.

I work In Eugene, Oregon (about 200 miles South of Seattle). We were having a meeting in my office, when a lady noticed the stained glass panel hanging in my window swingin to and fro. "Why is this swaying like this," she said. I said "It's just a breeze from the ventilation". About 15 minutes later we heard about the earthquake and realized that the "swaying stained glass" occurred at the same time as the earthquake. Freaky!

[This message has been edited by Leeo (edited 02-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Leeo (edited 02-28-2001).]