Number of registrated users: A good indication of the number of sold games?

I've bought lots of games, and most of them had forums. This is the first one I've ever registered on, and there are probably many like me. I've also persuaded a few lunatics to buy and none of them are registered here. So I think there is a fair amount of "invisible" CMers.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrWinterbottom:

Agreed. Just because you happen to buy the game online doesn't mean you necessarily would register for the online forum. Took me 6 months of heavy duty lurking before I registered.

Just my take on it anyways.

Mr.Winterbottom<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think he means it is representative, ie, a certain ratio will register with the forum when they get the game.

i think cm inspires a higher rate of satisfaction with cm than normal games so there would be a higher ratio of guys who register here...

oh , and NEW BOARD COLORS! yay!

I agree with MarkIV

I hope they have sold ALOT more than 5500 copies.

If they have gone out of stock twice and (pure speculation on my part) and IF

the first run was 1000 units, then IF the next run was 5000 units then IF the next run was 10,000 units they should be OVER 6000 units in sales and I would guess close to (if not OVER) 10,000 units by now with plenty left over in the warehouse.

ALL that is PURE speculation on my part.

But I sure hope they have sold alot MORE than 5500 copies. They deserve to be hugely wealthy and successfull! :D

-tom w

[ 04-11-2001: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

But I sure hope they have sold alot MORE than 5500 copies. They deserve to be hugely wealthy and successfull! :D

-tom w

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed Tom. Yet, remember that all it takes is a different email address to register. With the plethora of free email that is out there, I've always wondered. Sometimes it seems that members have had conversations with themselves.

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heinz 25th PzReg:

Hi

About 5500 users have registered on this forum. I think that is a good indication of the number of sold games.

smile.gif

Heinz<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that you could safely double that number (11,000) judging from the fact that they sold out twice in the first two months and that they jumped right into development of CM2.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Agreed Tom. Yet, remember that all it takes is a different email address to register. With the plethora of free email that is out there, I've always wondered. Sometimes it seems that members have had conversations with themselves. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's nonsense.

No, it's not.

Maybe you're right, but you always post such great and profound things.

Why thank you, and you post well yourself, and are quite brilliant all the time.

"BloodyBuckets"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scooter:

Agreed Tom. Yet, remember that all it takes is a different email address to register. With the plethora of free email that is out there, I've always wondered. Sometimes it seems that members have had conversations with themselves.

Cheers<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Never!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course not!

Of course not!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What would make you think we have conversations with ourselves?

What would make you think we have conversations with ourselves?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must be totally nuts. :D

[ 04-13-2001: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]

Some interview a gaming mag did with Charles

or Steve (?) he said they had sold somewhere

around the equivalent of 200,000 or so of

what a normal on-the-shelf publisher

developed game, IIRC.

[ 04-13-2001: Message edited by: Brummbär ]

Guest ckoharik

Hrm...a portion of 200,000? Maybe 1/10th?

20,000 * $45.00 = $900,000!!! :eek:

If that was me I most certainly would start development on a follow up product! :D

WTG BTS!!!

[AUTHOR'S NOTE: The above numbers are complete speculation and were derived from an equation originating in the nether regions. They should not be taken as gospel and no debate will be entered into regarding them.]

Perhaps this is a pointless post and actually is a dumb reason to finally register but...

Every so often this idea of A) needlessly figuring out how many copies of CMBO have been sold by B) arrogantly suggesting that all players are registered on this forum resurfaces. I have been loyally lurking most every day since the november or december before the game was released. I never registered as I felt most of my questions were covered and I just enjoy reading the posts. I preordered the game months before it was released and recieved mine fairly early in the whole initial release drama. I have several friends in the same position. None of us have ever registered and it makes me kind of mad to keep reading this sort of post as I think it is pointless and does the game a diservice. There are lots of lurkers out there who are as addicted to CMBO as anyone else. So perhaps if people realize this then this sort of figuring can be dropped.

Dane

Arridane has struck upon a closely held secret that most haven't figured out as yet. Which is, believe it or not, there are far more CM players out there, than those who frequent our little forum here.

In the dozens of games I've played, ladder games with opponents who went to the trouble of registering on one of the ladders, the vast majority of them do not spend their time at this here forum, and more shocking yet, about half of them are not even aware of the forum.

So yes, tis all true Arridane, however at any given hometown watering hole one is bound to overhear a litany of sideline conversations, even if at a shrill pitch.

:D

If I recall correctly, around the beginning of last year there was a long thread in which we were trying to figure out how many copies sold. I believe using invoice numbers and other minor details we decided each run of CDs was 15,000 units. I also seem to recall the announcements about shipment delays suggesting there were three runs of CDs before that kind of info stopped appearing in the forum.

So at least 45,000 copies maybe?

At any rate, it seems likely there were a lot more sold than people registered for the forum...