A New(bie) Age Begins!

Well, I have finally lost (the rest of) my mind. To celebrate the occasion:

The Newbie Tournament is on!

"One will win all; the rest will lose one."

This tournament is intended specifically for new players of Combat Mission. If you are an experienced player, please do not apply. The idea is for those who are less experienced to play against each other. The "newbie" requirement applies to Combat Mission AND multiplayer gaming. If you have been playing a lot against the AI but little or never against a human opponent, you would still be considered a "newbie."

If you are interested, send me an email (tedquincey@yahoo.com) and I'll send you the rules and a questionnaire. The deadline for submitting the completed questionnaire is Friday, December 7 at 1200 hours (GMT -6:00). Participants and Alternates will be announced later on Friday, December 7. The tournament will officially begin on Saturday, December 8.

Oh, and bribes are happily accepted. If you have something you would like to send, just ask for the address when you send your email. smile.gif

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SuperTed:

Chad,

That's why we have the Newbie thread. If all the Newbies stick together in here, the bullies won't stand a chance. ;) <hr></blockquote>

Bullies were not bullies, where just evil...those are two very diffrent things. :D

So far, the response has been great! Keep 'em comin'!

A pattern has begun to develop in the completed questionsaires. There are two versions of Newbie here: first, the garden-variety (GV) Newbie with a little experience and; second, the SuperNewbie with essentially no experience whatsoever.

So, assuming we get at least 40 participants (which should not be a problem since there are already 12), I intend to run two 16-participant tournaments simultaneously. One will be for the GV Newbies and the other will be for the SuperNewbies. That should allow players to compete with others of similar skill levels and avoid having "experts" like Chad running roughshod over the SuperNewbies. ;)

Any thoughts on this plan?

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: SuperTed ]</p>

I'm in - sent my email already. Setting up two tournaments to keep things competitive sounds like a good idea to me. Just have to rely on people to be honest about their experience. . .

Another thought - probably best to set very clear rules about 'gaminess' & c. - many of use newbies don't have as much knowledge about realistic force distributions & c. as some of you old-timers.

Thanks for being facilitator.

YD

I know that there isn't a big push for non-gamey play in this one, but since the scenarios are being created for us, I would recommend Fionn's rules of armor balance.

That usually keeps everything pretty good. There is nothing worse than setting up a good combined arms unit to find out your opponant has chosen a platoon of Pershings or something.

Vitalis

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sir Uber General:

So are you an Aussie Super Ted? Or just up real late in another part of the world?

IM EXCITED! What date will the comp start?<hr></blockquote>

SUG,

Nope. I am in Madison, Wisconsin, USA. It's 1900 hours here (GMT -6:00), so I am guessing that it's yesterday here according to your clocks. Speaking of which, is there anything I should know about tomorrow? ;)

The tournament(s) will begin this Saturday, December 8.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by YankeeDog:

I'm in - sent my email already. Setting up two tournaments to keep things competitive sounds like a good idea to me. Just have to rely on people to be honest about their experience. . .

<hr></blockquote>

YD,

If they're not, I'll think nasty thoughts about them. :mad:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by YankeeDog:

...Another thought - probably best to set very clear rules about 'gaminess' & c. - many of use newbies don't have as much knowledge about realistic force distributions & c. as some of you old-timers...

<hr></blockquote>

Actually, I have a way to address the issue of gaminess. I am designing gamey opportunities OUT of the scenarios. If I miss something, there will be NO rules governing GameyLand. It's too difficult to get everybody on the same page.

Having said that, players should feel free to discuss the issue prior to playing. It may help to clarify things, but there will be no tournament-wide rules.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Vitalis:

I know that there isn't a big push for non-gamey play in this one, but since the scenarios are being created for us, I would recommend Fionn's rules of armor balance.

That usually keeps everything pretty good. There is nothing worse than setting up a good combined arms unit to find out your opponant has chosen a platoon of Pershings or something.

Vitalis<hr></blockquote>

Vitalis,

There will be no purchasing done by players. I'll be the only gamey bastard when it comes to that. tongue.gif