I want to get a new game today ,but want some help on a good game.

I was gonna get B-17II today but everyone say it stinks. So I heard there is a new WWII Pacific flyer out. I really not into a certain types of games. I did get Janes WWII fighters for Chistmas and I like it, so I thought about the new pacific flyer. CM has made me want to try every WWII games out there. I do have I do have a lot of WWII games. Matter of fact that is what most of my games are.

Also mention any other games that are good.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, buy another copy of CMBO! and keep it safe and untouched...it will become a sought after wargaming classic in years to come...and that way, BTS will have even more dollars to either develop CM2, or setup on their own Caribbean island.

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

As someone who plays wargames and flight sims almost exclusively, there are times when I want to play something completely different just to clear my head and relax. The game that does this for me (and has for the last eight months) is Sierra PGA Championship Golf. I'm not a sports person or a golfer, but this game is the greatest. To swing the club you actually move the mouse instead of clicking it like most golf games - makes all the difference. If not that, then Rogue Spear.

Shatter, by new Pacific flyer, I take this to mean MS Combat Flight Sim II?

You can't go far wrong with it. It's the prettiest sim I've seen in ages. I don't know how realistic it is, but the graphics and sounds are amazing. Plus, fully supports Force Feedback and mulitplayer, whereas B17II doesn't. You need a decent machine to make the most of it though.

I've got an Athlon Tbird @900mhz and it simply flies, if you can pardon the pun.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shatter:

Also mention any other games that are good. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally, I'm holding out for Battle of Britain (Rowan) The campaign engine is supposed to be quite well done. I know it's microsoft and NOT hardcore, but Crimson Skies was just plain, unadulterated FUN. Starfleet Command II is a lot of fun onine/multiplay too. (and isn't as prone to lag as many flight sims... important if you're a dialup player)

Actung Spit and OTR are still on my harddrive too... if you feel the need to help BTS celebrate the new year by lining their hardworking pockets!! smile.gifsmile.gif

------------------

"Poor, poor, pitiful me... these young

girls won't let me be... woe is me!" Warren Zevon

Shatter, I see you just got Jane's WWII Fighters! I picked it up recently for $10 in bargain bin myself. Want to dogfight sometime? I'm heading to work now, but if you E-Mail me I'll get in touch with you tommorrow.

Personally, I find that a good FPS (Rogue Spear, Unreal Tournament, Tribes) or Fighting game (ala DOA2:Hardcore) are great breaks from a CM tactically stressed mind.

Polar, what is Steel Panthers, World At War?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tailz:

Personally, I'm holding out for Battle of Britain (Rowan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I played demo and it sucked.

Already have OTR and Spitfire.

I got a stupid question my e-mail alert quit is there a on/off option somewhere. I have aol.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

Shatter, I see you just got Jane's WWII Fighters! I picked it up recently for $10 in bargain bin myself. Want to dogfight sometime? I'm heading to work now, but if you E-Mail me I'll get in touch with you tommorrow.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya I also got it for chistmas for $10. Sure I would like to dogfight with you. I played on line yesterday and it was fun. I took out just about aeverbody I came up against, they also got me a few times too. I also bought a new flight stick for myself for the game. Man those stick are expensive. I wanted a good one, so I shelled out $90 for a good one. It did have a rebate for $30 though.

I can't tell you to buy MS CFS2, while I believe it to be better by far than B17-II, it stayed on my HD about two days. Some like it alot, others do not. Depends upon the eye of the beholder. I also have heard mixed commentaries about Rowan's attempt at BoB. Last WWII prop sim I'd recommend is EAW. Reason is, it's at bargain prices now, but with a host of player mods (much like CM), that have turned it into an entirely new game, adding the Russian Front, Med, North Afrika, France 1940, and even the Pacific theater to the original BoB/Europe43-45 conception. Not a better bargain out there.

Other than AOD and SH1, which are on an older system I run along side the newer one, EAW is the only game that resides on my HD along side CM. Like you I'd like a new game, but now that B17-II fell flat, I think that is enough experimentation and chance taking for now. I'll just wait on Silent Hunter II, and CM2.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

Steel Panthers World at War WAS the greatest (IMO) WWII strategy game ever made... until CMBO of course.

The great thing about it, is that it is absolutely free!

The bad thing is it is 400+ mb of download.

I STILL play it even with CMBO eating up most of my time... because it covers a MUCH wide scope of the war (East, West, Pacific) and have all the trimmin's to play with (Sturmtiger, Maus... etc. smile.gif).

You can findhttp://www.matrixgames.com

Really, really, really good game if you have a fast internet connection, or a friend who has one and a CD writer.

Joe

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz

Shatter, Tribes is one of the coolest and most innovative first-person shooters in years (the highly anticipated sequel should be out early this year, knock on wood). It's an online team-oriented game set in the future, with massive (kilometer wide) battlefields set in deserts, snowy mountains, and so forth. Every player has a jetpack letting them fly limited distances, but there are also multiple futuristic aircraft that you can fly or ride as a passenger while shooting the enemy below you. Each team has large base complexes with remote mortar and pulse gun turrets that can be operated by a computer inside. Bases also have radars, power generators, and so forth that need to be attacked/defended. You can also carry and set up remote turrets near the enemy base. Personal weapons include mortars, lasers, grenades, etc.

Basically, imagine futuristic warfare on a grand scale. Very involving and challenging.

Tribes 2 will add many new game modes and features, including land vehicles like a huge siege tank.

------------------

War is cruel and you cannot refine it. --Sherman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

That Pac-Man game that just came out looks pretty good. Might want to check out Asteroids too. Lots of fun.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok I guess I do have a preference when it comes to games. No kid stuff, no offense but I like games that make me think a little, but graphics help. Or history related games.

I am not as young as alot of you. I am about ready to hit the quater century mark on the 6th.

[This message has been edited by Shatter (edited 01-03-2001).]

Shatter, gotta agree with you that the BoB demo doesn`t exactly draw you in...but the game itself is a masterpiece..honest! A lot the old EAW grogs (of which I was one) are switching over, busy making new skins etc etc. Its a great game but suffers from an absolutely S*** demo version..go figure.

The only problem is that I have to make more PC time to actually play it, as there is no way that my CM time can be affected ;)

Free game.. free game.. free game..

Actually, you'd probably still be in the market for a pay game too wouldn't you?

Tough to say, I haven't really liked most games lately... I got Sea Dogs for Christmas... but it isn't grabbing me.

OH! I know what you would like!

Another free game site! wink.gif

Here:

http://www.classicgaming.com

It is a site where you can download all the old games we played as a kid (well, I played... don't know how old you are Shatter).

I downloaded "Mame" the arcade emulator and I am having lots of fun playing all the old arcade games for free!

Hmmm... maybe I just don't like BUYING games anymore. wink.gif

Joe

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Polar:

don't know how old you are Shatter

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gonna be 25 on 01/06

God, 25 next thing you know I will be 30.

OH CRAP NOT 30

[This message has been edited by Shatter (edited 01-03-2001).]

Guest aka PanzerLeader

I also play wargames almost all the time so as a break, to relax I play Unreal Tournament. It is a year old, so it might be a bargain at ur local store.