Totally Random Quick Battles

BTS - Would it be possible to add a Random Quick Battle Generator. Whenever I build a quick battle I seem to gravitate towards the same scenario. I.e. combined arms, village, moderate hills, moderate tree coverage. I suppose I could do this by rolling some dice or something but I would still know what I was basically up against such as combined arms, mechanized, infantry ect...

I know your busy but hopefully this could make it on the short, easy to do, hey why not I'm tired of tweaking the penetration factor of the HG42 during a rainstorm and need a break list.

Yep Doug, I think weather and time of day have random settings IIRC. But that is all. I forsee being able to hit a button and your done. With maybe the option of selecting your troops. The type of map, quality and make up of enemy troops would all be hidden from you.

Maybe I'm just lazy but I think it would be fun.

I would love to see an option to randomize the force types in quick battles. Instead of selecting combined arms, mechanized etc. youjust select random. That way you have no idea what type of force you will be fighting against, forcing you to plan for all eventualities.

Ok, let's say you people are all German sub-commanders. You have a force pool from which you should pick the units that will fight the coming battle.

Now correct me if i'm wrong, but if HQ tells you you need to advance your forces towards say....Villers Bocage...the first thing you would do is grab a map and start studying the map right?

So in all honesty...if the terrain would be a surprise...would that that be realism?

I think the answer to that would be: nope...that would be amateurism (is that a word anyway?).

------------------

And remember kids....dressing up like Hitler in school, is NOT cool!

I personally think that greater randomness is a real omission in the Quick Battles. How often could a commander choose the terrain he was about to fight over - even down to hilliness and tree cover..? I can't imagine that it would be anything more than a five minute coding problem - I'm a programmer, I know these things wink.gif - and if you don't like the setup, try again. And if you don't like the function itself, don't use it. biggrin.gif

Please, BTS, make a lot of us happy and add it in v1.06! wink.gif

I agree to the random terrian, I find myself always chosing my favorite, fall, large hills, sunny day, sometimes night, village, medium trees. smile.gif

Don't really like the snow maps, but if the maps where random, it would add some more suspence and suprise.

------------------

-kill 'em all and let God sort them out-

Ubermac:

About the only time you have plentiful maps of your area of operation is when you're involved in a training exercise. In a tactical level operation the only way you get to know the land is by walking it - if you're on the defensive. On offense it's usually the Battalion or Regimental Commanders who have the map. After the break out in France in '44 not even all of the generals had maps.

The less you know about the terrain and enemy the closer you are to realism.

------------------

Devil Dog

I like PeterNZer's idea of one big button with the word "Random" on it. You push it and who knows what the hell happens next! You could end up in the map editor...or launching a full out assualt on a heavily defended town with a Jeep and a Flamethrower. biggrin.gif

------------------

One shot...One Kill