Signature lines

I love the signature lines on our posts. Some identify the origin of the signature, some do not. I would love read some explanations and reasons for why we chose what we chose.

Mine is the what i thins is the funniest line of dialogue from the great movie Casablanca.

This movie was made as a factory, formula studio film in 1940. One of the writers is quated as saying, "If we had known we were making a classic, we would have paid attention."

I am looking forward to the replies.

------------------

Ugati: You despise me, don't you Rick?

Rick Blaine: If I gave you any thought I probably would.

Guest Germanboy

I once had a sig, but I successfully kicked the habit. It was either that, or kicking sex, drugs, and R&R...

------------------

Andreas

I started using a modified version from Neitchze (spelling??) that got me through basic training "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". But after some abuse by the cesspool dwellers, changed it to my favorite lines from the Pirates of Penzance, It seems to fit the game, I think.

------------------

"With cat-like tread, Upon our prey we steal;

In silence dread, Our cautious way we feel." -G&S

An English comedy Red Dwarf in which the last human in the universe, a hologram, a humanoid evolved cat, and an android are being attacked in their space buggy. The hologram is a military procedure stickler and orders a red alert. The android points out that if he wants to do that he is going to have to change the only light bulb in the buggy. I think what makes this funny and relevant is that everybody is in the cockpit no further than 2 feet away and this greenhorn is screaming about red alerts and procedure instead of trying to figure out what to do to survive. An android unaffected by fear simply points out the obvious.

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Priest

[This message has been edited by Priest (edited 10-19-2000).]

My first signature was from an R.E.M. song about the Russian Revolution. All those since have been from Cornelius Ryan's war trilogy.

------------------

Guderian's anger was monumental. He struggled for words. "To say that the troops are to blame – look at the casualties!" he raged. "Look at the losses! The troops did their duty! Their self-sacrifice proves it!" Hitler yelled back. "They failed!" he raged. "They failed."

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Germanboy wrote:

> It was either that, or kicking sex, drugs, and R&R...

You mean all your friends crowded round you chanting "It's gone too far, Andreas! Either the signature goes or we do!"?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't believe in friends.

------------------

Andreas

I tend to vary between two, depending on what account I'm logged in to. (Hotmail, Fora, work etc)

You can never go wrong with one of Murphy's Laws of Combat. When I was in IBM I had "Forget the bullet with your name on it; It's the one addressed 'To whom it concerns' that you want to worry about"

My other one is one of those unofficial sayings of the Cavalry Corps

NTM

----------

The difference between infantrymen and cavalrymen is that cavalrymen get to die faster, for we ride into battle!

[This message has been edited by Trooper (edited 10-19-2000).]

Mine is from the Battle of Fredricksburg, when Lee watched the third or so wave of union soldiers charge up a hill, across an open field towards a stone wall with a sunken road behind...and the Confederates were will in charge of the situation.

There are plenty of Patton quotes I love too, but I stick with this one.

------------------

busboy

CO, 99th Dragons

A Warbirds Squadron

'We will heat you up'

"It is well that war is so terrible, else we would grow too fond of it."

-Robert E. Lee

I was thinking of using Stonewall Jackson's last words as a sig, but I decided that other than sounding nifty and being Official Famous Last Words, they didn't really convey much of anything.

Whereas my current sig is weird and baffling, which describes me pretty well.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

I've had three. The first was "Nothing in war is certain except that one side won't win."-Ian Hamilton.

Then I switched to:

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat,

And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down,

I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found,

Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

On of my crewmates composed songs while he was fishing, and this is a verse of his best one.

My current sig? It's the name of a Marathon II map. Marathon, of course, is the coolest game ever for Macs. Besides, it sounds good. Charon, FYI, was the Greek or Roman (I forget) skiff driver of the underworld.

------------------

Charon doesn't make change.

Mines from the movie "reserviour dogs", when the cop who is tied in the chair is about to get his ear cut off. He states " I don't know anything about any set up, you can torture me all you want" to which the baddy replies...

------------------

Torture you? That...That's a good idea.

Hamsters/Meeks(!) are completely insane and therefore worthy. My sig is from email sent to Germanboy from Meeks reagrding the troops Germanboy purchased for Meeks in the schism mending battle (yet to get underway) for "The Thread."

Peng

------------------

"I hope a bucket of nails falls on your head..."

Hamsters/Meeks(!)