This game is becoming a synopsis of a dying PC Games industry

Davedial - you confuse sales with marketing. A sales guy always wants products to sell NOW. It'll be a bad sales guy, too, because he'll tell his customer "it's available in a week" to make him excited. From a marketing perspective, BF.C is doing a great job. The rewards of any one day delay will show after the game is released. As a tester, I can confirm on that, since I see the HUGE improvements between the beta demo and the final version.

Just two cents from another marketing "suit"...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few points just thought id metion,

Once upon a time a promising game called battlecruiser 3000ad was released in time for christmas despite it not being perfect......

IT SUCKED ROYALL!!!!

Consoles and pcs will eventually merge into one box that will control most of your gadgetry, thats not even near yet,

The maths behind cm and other games dont find their way into console games, console games are very simple affairs with fancy graphics.

Ill wait for cm because

A/ it will be finished, polished and relatively buggless

B/ it wont be some crap console game that claims to be a war game with fake weapons such as the super nuclear bazooka rifle, anti-aircraft hand grenade, quad 88mm mounting on a motorbike and the all famous german "dethmaster 2000" 93.4 caliber pistol with the kung-fu action handle grip! it wont have command structures with a general leading a 3 man "brigade", a stupid plot with hitlers top secret project to create mutant dinowarriors to kill the americans under command of the super high sergeant-major-general boss of the staff of the army of the thargoids from the planet krangtok IV!!!!(he shall be known as brian, who is called brian)

Console games are generally designed for people with the historical interest of a micropizza (with pepperoni)

In my PROFFESIONAL opinion

(im a proffesional slacker)

I dont give a rats ass what you think cause cms style realism and approach wont be found in console games such as Waffen ss in happy happy mushroom land, 1944 pokemon:you gotta kill 'em all and the worst of them all, the airfield in my pocketĀ© COMMAND & CONQUER!!!

(an intense and realistic simulation of the modern battlefield according to a review i read)

Anyway, im off to ride my mystical 8-legged mogg onto the fields of Normandy, smile.gif

------------------

This is my rifle,

this is my gun.

This ones for killing, this ones a tasty alternative to turkey at christmas.....

Guest Big Time Software

Three more quick thoughts...

The only things that might kill us is not enough wargamers existing and/or not being able to reach enough. Since I have our sales data in hand, and it comes directly from the source, I can say that we don't feel that either of these things are likely to happen for years to come, if ever.

The other thing I wanted to say is about the "I can't wait any longer, you HAVE to ship it or I will call you names" attitude. Life is a very rich experience, I suggest such people try it out if they are tired of waiting for CM to ship. Pretend that CM doesn't exist and then, when it is released, pretend that it is the first you have ever heard about it wink.gif CM will ship when it is humanly possible to do so, and if someone feels they can't wait... they should stop waiting and move on to something else. No hard feelings because...

When CM is out people will either buy it or not. That is the same thing no matter when we ship it. I doubt we will lose even ONE sale because it took us longer to finish than we thought. Seriously, can you see someone interested in CM boycotting it because we shipped months after our best guess? Paaaalease smile.gif But releasing the game when it is truly done will mean the opposite because people won't pass on it due to huge rough edges, poorly tested gameplay, and bugs. In theory this could be undone by someone beating us to market with a similar game, but the chances of that happening are the same as lightning striking the same spot about 1000 times in about a week wink.gif It simply won't happen.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by davedial:

This blind devotion to "well .. I'l gladly pay my money when it is ready .. whenever that will be" is admirable. So is the guy that is after nice, clean water to bathe in ...it's just he totally missed the big picture and now there's an infant with a bad memory that will never leave it.

DD<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a little thing i forgot,

WTF DOES THAT MEAN?!?"?$%%Ā£

------------------

This is my rifle,

this is my gun.

This ones for killing, this ones a tasty alternative to turkey at christmas.....

Just thought id announce the new upcoming competition to cm,

final fantasy, the panzerfaust edition.

and my new upcoming super mario brothers ardennes, all the action of the battle of the bulge with mushrooms and turtles smile.gif

Steve,

If Spider can find some (any) evidence for the "the all famous german "deathmaster 2000" 93.4 caliber pistol with the kung-fu action handle grip! " can we hack into code that any Bn HQ under my command gets it?

You know how I love my "high-tech" V-weapon toys wink.gif.

Ps. Don't worry. We can give American Bn HQs the "Pansy-ass 1944 with limp wrist action" wink.gif.

I wasnt being serious about the action hadle grip thing , just covering my ass from oncoming fire

------------------

This is my rifle,

this is my gun.

[This message has been edited by spider (edited 03-15-2000).]

Yah, this sounds like a Use-Net poster awright. Also sounds like he works in marketing --- for Sierra!

Wargaming is a niche market to start with, so expecting a game like CM to pull in the numbers a Quake 3 would is patently unrealistic (would that it wasn't!).

It's like comparing the mass-market built cars of Chevrolet to the hand-crafted finese of a Rolls-Royce. You have to know your target audience --- but maybe he didn't learn that in marketing class...

All right. I am pissed because I am all the way down here in Oz and I always tend to get in on these pissing sessions really late. So, I won't take much time and hash over a lot of what has already been covered.

Just let me say a couple things (allright, go get a coffee and prepare for a rant). I am an engineer with two patents and I am currently working on an R&D project. This third project is in a company I started specifically because I wanted to do things my way this time. So I have some extensive experience with sales and marketing people. Like everyone else, there are good and bad and I don't need to tell you where Dial-a-Troll fits in.

The proof to refute this drivel is available now. Steve, of the preorders you have received, how many have been cancelled? Now this won't be a statistically valid sample of results, but it should be indicative of a trend in lost sales if you are beginning to have one.

Also Steve, when did you begin selling stock in the company? Because if anyone other than a holder of equity in my company ever spoke to me that way, I would likely not even sell them the product at any price. If you do begin selling equity, I will gladly buy some, because I reckon you are really on to something. Then I will offer you my opinions in an appropriate manner.

Not everyone in the world is a rabid capitalist marketer. Some of us like to do what we do becuse we derive more pleasure from it than the money provides.

And finally:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If Spider can find some (any) evidence for the (sic) all famous german "deathmaster 2000" 93.4 caliber pistol with the kung-fu action handle grip!" can we hack into code that any Bn HQ under my command gets it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Allright Fionn. But if he gets shot first in a firefight and drops his deathmaster 2000, it cannot be picked up by another member of his staff and the item will be transferred to the code of Ariel's copy of CM.

*spew mode off*

------------------

desert rat wannabe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

If Spider can find some (any) evidence for the "the all famous german "deathmaster 2000" 93.4 caliber pistol with the kung-fu action handle grip! " can we hack into code that any Bn HQ under my command gets it?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I once knew a girl with kung-fu action handle grip.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goanna:

*spew mode off*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like Goanna just met her.

Ethan

------------------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

[This message has been edited by Hakko Ichiu (edited 03-15-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Not that there is any real reason to use real numbers vs. make believe land, but I can tell you that there has been a handful of cancelations in the last year. All but one were for reasons other than CM (new kid, too much credit card debt, etc). The *one* that did cancel his order because we haven't released a ship date is likely to buy CM when it does come out. He just doesn't trust that we will actually ship, yet will charge his credit card and run away with the money. RIGHT smile.gif

So bottom line... we have not lost a single sale to our delay. Yes, we might have lost a fraction of a fraction of our pre orders, but they will all likely buy CM once it is released so we really haven't lost anything now have we?

Steve

steve, before i buy/order game, will direct order be cheaper than the retail in the computer store price?, ive seen id software (among others) price games higher than the shops, dont know why that is but otherwise im up for a purchase,

im otherwise confident that this game will rock like no game before it!

Im sick of the ,mainstream games being crap with no realism and big monsters with tentacles, and im sick of all the huge flaws in games like steel panthers and close combat,the wait is worth a truly perfect game.

to the guy who started this all on the industry about to go into a black hole, its worth more than hollywood now, do you think youll wake up tomorrow turn on the tv to a blank screen?

Maybe, but you should try to plug the thing in dumbass!!

------------------

This is my rifle,

this is my gun.

[This message has been edited by spider (edited 03-15-2000).]

Spider, this game won't be on sale in stores and you can only order it off this website so you'll need to order it from here eventually if you want it.

Question: What is meant by a brown shirt? I've never heard that term used before.

All American

------------------

perviously known as Kid

why not? i think people would buy it, i know plenty of wargamers who dont have internet,

oh well, ill order it then, thanks for telling me!

Brown shirts are facsists, so were black shirts and blue shirts.

------------------

This is my rifle,

this is my gun.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spider:

steve, before i buy/order game, will direct order be cheaper than the retail in the computer store price?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CM will not be sold in stores; it will be available only by ordering from Battlefront.com (for the reasons, check out the BTS manifesto elsewhere on this website). I doubt very much that BTS plans to hike up the price after the game is released (although they did offer a little bonus for preorders for awhile where you could get a goodie for free).

Why preorder? Well, you might get the game a _bit_ before people that don't - a difference probably measured in days rather than weeks. You could probably do just as well holding off on ordering until after the game has gone "gold" and is off to production/distribution. So why else?

The reason I preordered the game (so, so long ago now wink.gif ) was in the hope that it would help give BTS the confidence to persevere. Distributing a game this way entails a lot of risk, and Steve and Charles have that risk squarely on their shoulders. My preorder is intended as a reassurance that "if you build it, I will buy it from you." One preorder doesn't mean much of anything, but if a lot of people are willing to make that slight committment (slight because an order can be cancelled at any time) it gives BTS some small degree of confidence that they will actually make some money off of this effort in the future. They still have all the risk, but at least they have a bit more information about the likelihood of the dice coming up "craps."

Oh yeah, and because I want the game as soon as humanly possible.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

[This message has been edited by L.Tankersley (edited 03-15-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Yup Spider, and that is why this is just a bunch of nonsense smile.gif Check out our Manifesto:

www.battlefront.com/about

All American, Brown Shirts are the lovely folks that brought us Nazism and all of its wonders to mankind. They were the thugs that went around beating people up before 1934, when they were in turn "beat up" by the SS and left in a cerimonial role within the Nazi Party for the remainder of the Third Reich's short life. So in effect he is calling anybody that posts here a happy little Nazi trouble maker, which the poster's illogical and confused post really didn't expalain the connection he intended to make.

Steve

Hell yeah!!

Thats how i think, long live the revolution smile.gif

I think that dave guy should read the manifesto, then hell understand why wargames wont die......

------------------

This is my rifle,

this is my gun.