This game is becoming a synopsis of a dying PC Games industry

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Geez...A movie that as its end credits is photoage of every Nuclear detonantion known to man and you honestly thought i HAD'NT SEEN IT!!!????!!!??? I am revoking your Sycophant status!!!!

Madmatt

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I apologize, fellow engineer-boy! biggrin.gif

I just thought that Dr. S reminded me of...er wait a minute; maybe you reminded me of General Ripper, yeah, thats it.

That movie should be required viewing for any and ALL people.

Should be viewed many, many, many, many times.

To make up for today I guess I will have to order 50 more copies. Wargames in general are not made to cater to the masses, except perhaps some of the beer and pretzels type games. So, there is no need to rush out the product when it is crap. I think I am like most wargamers and want high quality. I am in no rush. I am not going anywhere (as cowebs form around his head waiting for CM to ship). biggrin.gif It takes time to build something special. I am glad that Charles and Steve take pride in what they produce.

Larry

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

OK, I've been preachin' lately about some other games to go out and try while waiting for CM mainly because of the very subject of this thread. The fact is that some companies ARE starting to get the "picture".

Interplay is taking their time in developing a well-balanced, state-of-the-art, bugless space-combat-sim called Klingon Academy.

Another is Lucas Arts coming out with a 3D RTS Star Wars game called Force Commander. This game is due out next week on Thursday, I believe. Lucas Arts tends to refine their games to were they don't need patches, but to fix some compatiblity problems with new drivers, one of being DirectX 7.0 eek.gif Force Commander has a game camera very similar to CM's where you can Zoom-Out into a bird's-eye-view of the action OR you can Zoom-In to get right down on the battlefield with your Stormtroopers and look UP at your AT-AT looming overhead!

But as for companies putting out BUGGY games, that is a huge problem! As far as Sierra goes, I'm only gonna dignify that one with their so-called Red Baron-3D that only supports GLIDE, so of course my TNT2 Ultra card is of no use for that game. Another company I have a problem with is Talonsoft, sorry if I've offended any TOAW players, but their Hidden & Dangerous series. They released these games with some huge bugs that make them almost unplayable. Especially the Devil's Bridge add-on. For some reason, the damn thing runs sooo slow on ANY machine that you can't play it! frown.gif The European version of the add-on was released about 2 months before the US version was released and STILL YET, the thing was probably released as an ALPHA version. frown.gif

So hopefully BTS will take whatever time they need to work out any bugs and gaming tweaks as they see fit, but to not take too much time smile.gif Ha! That their games system's requirements don't go way over their initial estimate. smile.gif

As far as console games taking over computer games is absolutely ludicrous! For one I just cringe when I see a new TV commercial showing a new Playstation game, I mean COM'ON, that's a 32-bit SYSTEM, for CHRISSAKE! Chunky graphics and all!

Then you got the Dreamcast and PSX2, 128-bit systems. but where's the HD and add-on capabilities? I haven't heard of this Xbox thing since reading this thread, so I can't comment on it.

I know, I know...I may sound a little hypocritical here from my previous posts, but a line has been drawn in the sand here! smile.gif

------------------

"Cry Woe...Destruction...Ruin and Decay. The worst is Death...and Death will have His day."--Gen. Chang

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 03-16-2000).]

Madmatt,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> as I just spent all day in an offsite teambuilding exercise I am filled with understanding, leveraging learnings and shared visions expressed with candor. So let me say candidly that I would like to leverage a crowbar upside your head and share a vision of your brain as it learns to survive without a host skull! Understand?!? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a truly classic response wink.gif. Do you think we should have a section with the "best put-downs" on CMHQ? Might be a bit of fun.

Ps. FWIW being reminded that Dave Dial is from GA makes everything clear. I once had an association with them which ended when they stiffed me for 200 bucks in long distance phone bills I incurred because of them which I was previously assured WOULD be covered(kinda establishes the level of marketing weaseliness inherent there IMO ). What they know of quality wargaming wouldn't fill a SMALL envelope.

I think that CONTEXT of his post is important.. Here's someone who hasn't seen ANY of the latest betas but is probably used to getting them for most games on the market.

Ok, I'm too disgusted to write any more at this time.

Ok, Goanna. The rulebook said: "... if Deathmaster 2000 is droped in a firefight, the entire Bn is render ineffective for 48hs. Plus another 3 hs for every 8 hours without sleep before the battle and the entire Div loss one level in experience".

Then, and only then, the Deathmaster is coded in my copy of CM.

Ariel

ps: I hate your lack of understanding... tongue.gif

Ps. Subsection 2a states that the ENTIRE German nation enters a 3 day period of mourning for the death of Oberst Kelly *sniff*.

Any soldier or CMMC player found not grieving for 3 REALDAYS will be shot.

We believe this is an equitable and balanced rule wink.gif.

Hmm...

Mr Marketing, perhaps you have come across this term in your experience, "niche market". One you might not have seen is "grognard".

The people who are looking at CM as the game "the wargame I have waited for" have seen the effects that marketers have on development.

I would bet that all the people playing/waiting for CM also tried out the Close Combat series. Excellent start into the genre, but with the introduction of other companies/publishers into the mix, the true potential was never realized.

The litany of problems which have plagued the PC gaming industry goes on and on:

Incomplete product pushed to market to hit the Christmas season, shoddy coding that does not run correctly, inaccurate data used in the game that leaves those who care about details dissatisfied, AI that my 9 year old son can beat, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

To count Steve and Charles as developers, or coders does them an injustice. They are craftsmen in the truest sense of the word. They are building CM because they want to, the way they want to. Having participated in the commercial market, they have seen what is wrong with the status quo.

I placed my pre-order oh so many months ago. Am I impatient? Yes.

Would I like to have it tomorrow? Bigger yes.

Will I rescind my pre-order? No.

There are qualities at work which you obviously do not understand or choose to ignore. Stick to your own market area, where the statistical surveys indicate that X % of the marketshare will translate into Y $$$ if we get the product out before date Z. For you have obviously missed the point.

Because some consumers do not fit your nice statistical models. Because some consumers are not "software lemmings" that buy games based on the oh so pretty graphics on the box. Because some customers care about quality. Surely your schooling or vast work experience has taught you the resurgent importance of that word related to not only gaining marketshare, but in maintaining marketshare. And finally, because some very, very few game developers are not in it strictly for fast money.

Go BTS!

[This message has been edited by Herr Oberst (edited 03-16-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

OK, on that note I think it is time to lock this up. About two dozen of our Brown Shirt storm troopers have reported in, blindly kicked butt, and are now ready to do whatever we say. Then I woke up and realized that they all have brains and came up with this heartfelt (and pretty funny smile.gif) statements on their own. Thanks smile.gif

For what it is worth, gamers like Lewis (Username) are just fine in our book, and that is why the original post is so silly. Lewis wants to see the goods and make sure they are what we say they will be. Nothing wrong with that one tiny bit. As I said before, people will either buy it or not. We much rather people NOT buy it if they don't think they will like it. And that my finely dressed friends is exactly what marketing folks work very hard to avoid. You know the saying, "a duped customer is a good customer" wink.gif

Steve

P.S. I have nothing against marketing UNTIL they think that without it a product can't stand on its own two feet.