What is the point of the Kubelwagon?

Can someone please explain to me the value of having a Kubelwagon? It doesn't appear to have any weapons, it has no armor, can't carry very much, and sure as hell doesn't have Col. Klink in it. So...What is the use of having it?

I can't seem to find any use in it, other than carrying a shreck team in a high speed, Mad Max dash to a location...

------------------

CrapGame out

On a large map, put a Panzerschrek team in it, and zip it up to a stand of woods or a house way ahead of your front lines, unload it and hide it.

Your opponent will be quite surprised when you kill one or two of his tanks so early, and it will likely halt his advance thinking you are deployed further ahead than you really are.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrapGame:

I can't say that I've had any luck using them as scout vehicles. They seem to get killed as soon as the enemy starts throwing rocks at them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Proper employment of the Kübelwagen involves massive amounts of wine and cognac, a disregard for propriety, a morally casual attitude toward speed limits and private property, and a French village. Maneuvers best conducted at night. wink.gif

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

It is as usefull as an unarmed jeep.

you can transport some guys with them, But they get taken out real easy. They are there for more of a historical reason. But... If you can keep them under cover, they can wisk some support units into position really quick.

Lorak

------------------

"someone you trust is one of us"..........the illuminati

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seanachai:

Proper employment of the Kübelwagen involves massive amounts of wine and cognac, a disregard for propriety, a morally casual attitude toward speed limits and private property, and a French village. Maneuvers best conducted at night.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL! So it has to be driven by Italian Beutedrivers then? Only joking, really! I love Italians, well, the girls. anyway..

I would put them into scenarios for historical reasons. Ambush scnearios, recon scenarios, meeting engagements... And they just look cool on sitting on the map.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dragoon44:

First: I discoverd this game only yesterday! F**KING A is it right on. I'll stop crying in my wheaties waiting for Sudden Strike to finally appear.

Second: Kubelwagens are awesome for scouting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't even THINK about playing Sudden Strike. That kick went around on this forum when the SS demo came out and needless to say that the demo didn't last long on anybody's HD past the first few minutes of when riflemen can take out a King Tiger just based on hitpoints.

I tried the demo way back and I thought the graphics had potential, but the gameplay was just totally stupid physics and stuff.

------------------

"I for one, am pretty damn close to Genius"--Ol' Blood & Maximus

I use unarmed fast movers to move laterally behind my main line. I'm alway careful to keep it out of ememy LOS. The other way I use them is gamey but just run 'em forward and see what kills it.

------------------

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence." -Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darwin:

I have yet to get a kubelwagon but I would assume they can tow light artillery pieces around. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's right. I'm playing a scenario now in which a Kuebelwagen tows a 20 mm Flak around. Pretty fast, too! AFAIK the KW's speed is completely unaffected by the load, a bit strange that. How light could a 20mm Flak + crew + ammo be, anyway?

On a related note: I saw a picture somewhere of the Schwimmwagen, the amphibious Kuebelwagen! It looked like a bathtub with wheels. Wouldn't it be nice to have that one in the game? OTOH, I have no idea how many of those were built, so it may have been too rare to include.

Marnix.

Alllllllrighty then.... Thanks for the responses. I didn't know that the Kubels could tow anything. Interesting. Still, though, I probably won't be buying any as a harsh glance from the allies seems to be enough to kill one of them.

------------------

CrapGame out