How many of you have done outside reading on tactics in war due to this game?

scooleen

You and I seem to have the same tastes. I bought BG2 as soon as it came out and put money down on B17 2 but have held off on buying it due to unstable problems but will get it if it is fixed. Also this game now we seem to be similiar. Did you ever play Age of Empired 1 or 2? It was also a fun game but near as much as BG and BG SoA.

Um Just two or three tank books to find out wich are better in the feald. I go a book for Chistmas it said only 1352 Tiger tanks were ever bilt.

Guest Michael emrys

I want to plug a book I mentioned before, War Without Garlands: Operation Barbarossa 1941/42 by Robert J. Kershaw. This is a must read for anyone planning to play CM2. It is a masterful retelling of the German attack on the Soviet Union in that it relates the "big picture" to how the war was experienced by the guys on the ground.

A large portion of the book is told in the words of the fighting men, either diary entries or letters home. There are also some quotes by the people back home including letters to the men at the front. Much of this material is made more poignant by the knowledge that many of the men writing them did not survive the fighting. Make no mistake, this book contains some pretty grim reading. War is nearly always horrific, and the war between Germany and the USSR was especially ugly, savage, and brutal. But if you want to know what it was like from the point of view of the men pulling the triggers, this book is for you.

Michael

Guest Mikey D

I know an author who's done just the opposite- after 35 years of distinguished writing and publishing on the topic of military and armor history, playing CM has let him finally "see" what he's been talking about all these years! He did a fun little scenario recreating the raid at Dieppe recently.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Good heavens, just check my Amazon.com account!! It has certainly shot up because of CM<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't believe that people waste money at Amazon.com for WW2 books!

I recently got The Berlin Bunker, With British Snipers To The Reich, Stalingrad, The Battle of the Bulge, Weapons of the Waffen-SS on the same day for about £20.00 ($30.00).

The trick is to find some good second hand bookshops. "Hay-on-Wye" in Wales has the largest relative number of new and second hand bookshops in Europe, as I understand.

I have a rule. No new Strategy/Wargames without first reading at least one authoritative history on the war represented by the game. For CM, which concerns my second "favorite" war, this was not a problem. (ACW is my number one historical concern.) Had to stretch that rule for Shogun Total War though. Had never read any Japanese history before I was introduced to Shogun TW. I have now made it about 1/4 the way through my history of Japan but have been playing the game with regularity for about 2 months now. So, a new ACW or WW2 game is not too likely to generate a new reading "assignment" since I have already read up a bit on that one, but for more arcane battles, I might have a new reading assignment. Does this explain why I don't go so much for sci/fi and fantasy games? No histories? Mebbe I should read novels for those games eh? Another thing. I heartily second M. Bates' endorsement of second hand booksellers. There are a lot of volumes Amazon and B.F. Dalton do not carry - like ANYTHING out-of-print. Plus it saves you money, keeps your options open, and supports small local businesses to buy from the used booksellers!

Shatter here

I have always been interested in WWII history. My Grandfather being a WWII vet, I grew up asking (as often as possible) Grandfather tell his tales or see his metals or items he picked up while in the the war.

He passed away a month ago and I recieved all his medals. My Father knew they meant alot to me. I also have his uniform and Dress Uniform.

My other Grandfather was a depth charge deployer on a destroyer in the Pacific.

I also got his medals and Navy Uniform.

He also passed away about 5 years ago.

I love you Grandfathers, hope you guys are watching over me.

He Bates did you mean weapons of the waffen SS written by Bruce Quarry?

Have that one too. bought it in London a few years ago together with Soldiers of destruction for 12 pounds.

The last one contains horrible stories about the second SS division and its founder/leader

btw Rob if you want a good book about Tigers check Amazon for the books by W.Spielberger.

They are great.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Callmeyer:

Had never read any Japanese history before I was introduced to Shogun TW. I have now made it about 1/4 the way through my history of Japan but have been playing the game with regularity for about 2 months now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might consider James Clavell's Shogun. It's a novel and I am not qualified to comment on how historically accurate it is, but it is exceedingly well written and seems to have a great deal of flavor of the time and place.

Michael

Shatter,

My grandfather died when I was really little, so I don't remember him. My mom said he served in the war, but never talked or wanted to talk about it. Nobody ever really knew much about his early life except his wife. Anyhoo, I just found out that my mom gave his military issue WWII .45 pistol to our neighbors (it's a long story, but they helped her for years because our well went dry)! When the neighbor dies though, the gun is supposed to come back to me. When my mom found out how much I liked WWII, she told me and knew I would be heartbroken frown.gif. Just thought I'd share something in common with us.

------------------

"You see, while I've been gone you loony chumchucks have thrown Peng in a ditch, ran Frenchie out of town and reduced Seanachai to a four-sentence-max-posting wretch. To compound this, you have managed to create an entire fantasy world for me to occupy that consists almost but not entirely of a Polar Bear's rectum. And, AND, you moved the Cesspool to Australia. You should be ashamed of yourselves." - Elijah Meeks

RUN LIKE HELL - CM/Cross Country motto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>He Bates did you mean weapons of the waffen SS written by Bruce Quarry?

Have that one too. bought it in London a few years ago together with Soldiers of destruction for 12 pounds.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes Stoffel, that is the one. According to his introduction, he has also written other books on the Waffen-SS.

Not sure if I would buy them though, it's embarrassing to walk out of a shop holding a Waffen-SS book!

Seriously, second hand is the only way to go for WW2 books. WW2 is a strong section in most book stores. If you steer away from the books which glamourize Nazism there's some good work. I will probably buy new books on the Russians however, as there is not much on the "Reds".