OT 21st Century Toys Panther Tank

Have you seen these 1/18th scale "toys"? Picked up the Panther G at the local Toys R Us as well as 2 German soldiers, one with the Kar98 the other with a MP44.

The detail is something to behold. Have not measured the tank out, but looks close.

Also, the Panther comes with a very detailed commander.

The tank itself has tow cables, spare tread links. Well worth the $39.95 (figures $5.95)

Now, for the Sherman......

When I can, will post pics.

Doug

I have the Panther (well theoretically it belongs to my 3 year old) and it is VERY nice. Dare I say the Sherman is even nicer. (what with packs and gear hanging of fteh bustle rack,) I also have the bf109. Very cool. IN fact there's way too much cool stuff floating around these days.

Los

These toys have been discussed before.

Actually, I cannot believe I said that, it annoys me when people say stuff like that....

Anyhoo, they are terrific! The Sherman is fantastic... lots of cool little extras.

I hope they continue the line! I would really like to have a squad of Screaming Eagles...

My 6 year old cousin and his dad liked to build model fighter planes, and it got him in trouble at school.

His favorite one was the Me262 because it "looks fast and mean" and it has teeth painted on the front. But, it also has a tiny swastika on the back. He brought it in for show and tell, and the teacher had him sent home because of what he brought in. The fact that he also brought in a Spitfire as his other favorite didn't save him. She then insulted his father for being a Nazi and "converting this little boy". All he did was build a damn model plane. Sheesh.

I would have liked to smack her upside the head. Sorry, just had to rant.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeterNZer:

Damn!

I went to buy the Sherman and the Panther and they don't ship outside the US! frown.giffrown.gif

Damn London!

PeterNZ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you try amazon.com? I'm surprised if they dont ship these units outside the US.

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Von Brizee:

My 6 year old cousin and his dad liked to build model fighter planes, and it got him in trouble at school.

His favorite one was the Me262 because it "looks fast and mean" and it has teeth painted on the front. But, it also has a tiny swastika on the back. He brought it in for show and tell, and the teacher had him sent home because of what he brought in. The fact that he also brought in a Spitfire as his other favorite didn't save him. She then insulted his father for being a Nazi and "converting this little boy". All he did was build a damn model plane. Sheesh.

I would have liked to smack her upside the head. Sorry, just had to rant. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't that make you sick? A kid can't even have a historically accurate hobby. rolleyes.gif I'd would have went in there and told the teacher where to go. If they wanna teach history, at least make it accuarate, let's not hide parts just because their bad. IMHO, people get too worked up over the swastika. It's a goddam historical symbol. Just like the KKK thing or a pentagram. Can't bring in a album by the band SLAYER without having a pentagram on it now can we?

I think i would have gone and had a talk to the teacher and headmaster at the school..

I mean, the kid obviously has an interest in history now, and that should be encourage! Learning is good and if you can do it throughout your life you'll always be ahead of most of the crowd.

I'm sure his history books will have swastikas in them, WW2 DID happen, bad stuff HAPPENED. I don't know why people get so upset about it.

I guess people worry about the glorification of war, which is possible, but having a swastika on the plane won't change any of that, just a good education.

O well!

I'm getting me a panther biggrin.gif (and a sherman when they come back in stock).

PeterNZ

I looked at these a little while back. Couldn't make up my mind between the "Ultimate Soldier" packs, which are the 12" GI Joe type models or the 1/18th scale.

I went back today and bought the 1/18th Panther, a Sherman, a Kubelwagen, a Jeep and about four or five German infantry (mauser, MP-44, MG-42, panzerfaust) and a GI. Actually bought two Shermans', one for my brother-in-law.

I expect I'll go and get the Bf-109 and the rest of the set. Maybe another Panther, and another couple of Shermans. And some extra infantry....

I'm hoping they'll do the Brits as well....a Spitfire would be cool.

I am amazed at the detail and quality. I don't really see them as toys for kids, they'll break too easy. They strike me much more as grognard gear. :^)

OberGrupenStompinFeuhrerBastard

I bought the panther today. It's very nice. The number of moveable parts is great and a there's a fantastic attention to detail. Hope they come out with a Tiger tank model/toy. The Sherman is my next purchase. I wanted to get one of the 12" soldiers too but I will have to wait a couple of weeks. They had a east front German soldier with a KAR-rifle and a great-coat and all the little accesories. Looked really nice. Looks like I have a new collection hobby smile.gif

-john

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 11-19-2000).]

Picked up the Sherman today, and got a US Officer to hang out next to it. Very pleased with the tank, highly recommended. One of the taillights is painted a bit sloppily, but other than that it is model-quality. I'll probably have to pick up the Panther before long. These are really cool.

Toys R Us was very busy today....

One question: Is the flexible .50 cal accurately mounted in the rear of the turret hatch? That would make it impossible to fire the MG in the same direction as the main gun or the coax. Is that right?

[This message has been edited by Runyan99 (edited 11-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Runyan99 (edited 11-20-2000).]

Whoa, OGSF, where do you get the dough and the room to put all that stuff? I thought I was bad, but you are in another league.

I went to Toys R Us on Saturday to check them out, having read about them here a while back. They do look good. At $30 a pop, though, I need to think where I can put them. Next to the computer?

I'm really retrogressing back to being a kid when I built all the Revel models. My family is starting to wonder....

"So you're the joke of the neighborhood, who's to care if you're feeling good, take the long way home." -- Supertramp

------------------

Only the Lawyer knows what Evil lurks in the minds of men....

I was in Toys R Us with my girfriend the other day getting the kids some christmas stuff when we "Happened" by the section with the GI Joes and Ultimate Soldier stuff. It took a half hour just to walk by. I was WOWing and WHOAing over everything. The 12 inch German with his motorcycle and side car really caught my fancy.

My brother has been collecting this stuff for the last year. We had a ton of big GI Joes when we were kids. He now has over a hundred! http://www.smallblueplanet.com/

Check out the Cotswold Line very cool German Soldiers there. Gebirsjagers and fallshirmjagers, you name it.

Mord

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Banshee:

LOL, she cooks too!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Next you're going to tell me she watches the History Channel and let you game whenever you want, bringing you food so you don't have to get up from the computer!!!! That's a keeper!!! Quick, marry her (before some other Panzertruppen steals her away)!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Oak:

Next you're going to tell me she watches the History Channel and let you game whenever you want, bringing you food so you don't have to get up from the computer!!!! That's a keeper!!! Quick, marry her (before some other Panzertruppen steals her away)!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I probably shouldn't tell you, because you won't believe it, but she just got me a D-Day DVD and WWII in Color (not the History Channel one, the other one) DVD! Btw the WWII in Color DVD is absolutely excellent.

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki