Do You Play QB, Scenarios, Campains?

I have been mainly playing Quick Battles, to learn the game better, since I have more control of the battle setup.

I have played some mod scenerios which were great, keep up the good work.

When I have the time I really want to play a Campain, also when I know how to play better.

I think I get over whelmed at the number of scenerios, yet I keep downloading more, and can't stop. smile.gif

Which do you play the most of?

------------------

-kill 'em all and let God sort them out-

Guest Michael emrys

I started out on some of the scenarios that came with the game, but quickly switched to QBs and have pretty much stayed with those. I've downloaded a bunch of scenarios and started a few, but I can't recall finishing any.

Mainly what I want to do is to set up battles that I think are fairly typical for the period that mainly interests me: June 6 to September 1, 1944. I don't care about play balance at all since I am playing against the AI and so far it hasn't proven to be a bad loser, ( biggrin.gif) and during the period I am covering, the Allies usually enjoyed a slight to huge advantage of numbers and materiel, but the Germans sometimes retained an advantage in troop experience.

People who are designing scenarios are generally doing so for PBEM play, so play balance is a major concern for them for perfectly legitimate reasons. I just happen to be taking a different path.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 08-27-2000).]

I'm a QB fan myself... especially for PBEM play. Eliminates the possibility of anyone becoming a 'pro' at a specific scen. I like QB's for PBEM... both players have to play with the 'cards they are dealt with'. (Much like a real CO.) I think canned scens are best played against the AI because they have been tweaked to optimize the TacAI. (If they are well designed)

That's a same question that I have. Once I get through the tutorials this week and play for real over the Labor Day weekend, I'm wondering what to start with. 101st said that QB allows more control over the battle setup, why is that a good thing? Wouldn't playing a scenario with its relative historical accuracy be more realistic? Regarding the scenarios on the CD, which do you recommend I start with? The small maps first? Or what if I want to play Overlord chronologically, how can I do that? Regarding Campaigns, they seem to be just several battle scenarios linked together. Overall, what would QBs give a rookie that scenarios don't?

Quick Battles. Almost exclusively, whether against a PBEM opponant or the AI. Once in a while I'll make a scenario and play it for a while. I have played few of the canned scenarios or other peoples scenarios...I don't really know why...

To Steve Clark:

If you're trying to get the flavor of the historical campaigns that CM portrays, many of the scenarios and operations on the CD and at the various scenario sites will do exactly that. That's my preference, personally. They can give insights to a particular battle or portion of the war, if that's your thing. Between those on the CD and the 3rd-party scens, you could probably spend a month on June '44, then a month on July '44, etc.

Moon's site has some additional cool Normandy scenarios if you go that route.

Quick Battles and Design-your-Own can be great for exploring the capabilities of particular units and vehicles, or for testing your skill vs. an opponent. Those who PBEM seem to gravitate to them, since they're easily balanced. Also, if you know a lot about the war, you may find that you know what really happened during historical scenarios, which may 'spoil' them, since you're not going to be surprised by the reinforcing King Tigers in the same way as the historical forces were. The randomness of QBs ensures this will not happen.

I first played a bunch of QBs before trying the canned scenarios, just to hone my skills. I found that the first play of a scenario is always 'special,' since there are suprises in the map and the enemy lineup that can't be replicated. I didn't want to spoil my first play of a good scenario with a bumbling setup, etc. After a bunch of practice, I felt like I was ready for the historical scens.

I'd say try some small ones first, since the very big scenarios and ops can be overwhelming. For a while I was playing a turn a day of McKinley's Battalion vs. the AI; that's all the time I could spare!

Of course, your mileage may vary...

Well...this will sound pretty sad...

But all I have played are quick battles. And a couple of scenarios made by people to play test. Since recieving the game I've been so covered up with PBEM games ( Lucky me! ) that I haven't had time for anything else. Honestly I havn't played one scenario or operation that has came on the disk.

Lorak

------------------

Proud commander of the CCT's Chinchilla Commando Teams