CMBO - Five months on

Manx

It's been about five months since CMBO V1.00 was released. I know that it has a large and loyal following (just look at this forum...the busiest i have ever seen!) but what do people REALLY think of it??...has it lived up to everyones expectations?...or even surpassed them?. Whats it's good points..is there anything bad about it?...How could it be improved??.

LET'S DISCUSS!

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS- CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Manx:

It's been about five months since CMBO V1.00 was released. I know that it has a large and loyal following (just look at this forum...the busiest i have ever seen!) but what do people REALLY think of it??...has it lived up to everyones expectations?...or even surpassed them?. Whats it's good points..is there anything bad about it?...How could it be improved??.

LET'S DISCUSS!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well lets start with the best WW2 game ever!

------------------

Game master of Robs CMC ;)

Join or get more info on Rob's CMC today Email me at RobsCMC@hotmail.com

Rob

--------------------------

For more info on Rob's CMC go to Robs CMC HQHome of Robs CMC

Members of my CMC should join my CMC chat bord. Robs CMC Bord

BHQS bord

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob/1:

Well lets start with the best WW2 game ever!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would be more inclined to say the best WW2 game of its type; other turn-based games cannot even hope to come close but you cannot really make a comparison with other WW2 games (such as simulations, strategy and/or real-time games).

To make such comparisons would be unfair (one way or another) to the games concerned, and to their players. A player's taste in games is as individual as many of the different games are themselves.

What I will say is this; the production of CMBO has filled a gap (and about time) in the wargames market for a turn-based wargame that produces simultaneous action. The computer is the ideal medium for such a game, and BTS seem to be the first to have realized this potential. People have been trying to simulate simultaneous action in wargaming for many years, but it just cannot be done this well over the table, as human judgement (or misjudgement) will always get in the way.

However, as I said, it would be an unfair comparison to take something like CMBO and compare it with, say, the (dare I mention smile.gif ) Close Combat series. Both would have their merits and their faults, but I don't believe a direct comparison could be made fairly as they are so different.

So on that note, I refuse to make any sweeping statement such as "This is the best ever"; and besides, if I am going to purchase CM2 I would like to think it is going to improve on the 'best'.

In summary, choosing which game is 'the best' is rather like deciding whether I prefer sex or drink: they both send me to sleep, they can both cost a lot,they can both have terrible consequences and they are both bloody good fun; but I don't think I want to choose between them when I can have both smile.gif

I'll reiterate. It's the best WW2 game EVER.

(Now if I could just convince the wife.).

------------------

As I walk through the Valley of Death, I will fear nothing, for I am the meanest mother*#*#** in the valley. (George S. Patton)

Ok... it is the best squad-level, ground combat game ever made, as far as I am concerned. I play European Air War more, so it is my all-around best, but I am a pilot, so that is to be expected.

I think it is fair enough to say that I will never play any other ground game again. Certainly not ASL - and I loved that. I will look forward to CM2.

I'd just like to say that although it may be hard to compare CMBO to other WWII games,there is no other game of ANY type that I have seen that shows such obvious love and craftsmanship. The attention to detail that BTS has put into this game amazes me every time I play (and I play a lot). When you add in the support,and all the awesome user mods you have, in my opinion one of the best computer games of all time. That's my .02$ worth

------------------

Nicht Schiessen!!

Hey, now. Let's not get crazy. I *still* play Elite (very occasionally). It is entertaining to think that there could be a comparison between the two. I imagine two can't see the forest for the trees hardcore gamer types screaming at each other about how futuristic space combat games are *obviously* better than WWII games, and vice versa.

On the other hand, they'd both make my top ten computer games ever list. Comparable excellence or something.

SurlyBen

For me (and I suspect others), CMBO really is the game we always dreamed about. Squad Leader was always my favorite wargame, but I had so many times where I longed to play a game of it but lacked an opponent or the time. When both were in abundance, we could do the duplicate boards and a referee to determine spotting. Now, I have FOW games whenever I want, and if time presses, save the game and finish it later. I was perfectly happy with the pictures on the SL counters, so CMBO's graphics are a huge bonus.

The magic moments keep coming, too. Just today, I was playing a scenario where I held a town after a fierce fight, but was out of armor and five German tanks (and some remaining infantry) were about to head across a bridge to root me out. My promised air support had never shown, and I had given up hope for its arrival several turns before. As the first tank rumbled across the bridge, I heard the whistle of bombs, and two 500-pounders struck the bridge around the tank, dropping him into the river and cutting off the other tanks from the town! Saving Private Ryan has nothing on CMBO!

------------------

"Late evening turned to early morning as you sat with fists tightly gripped and thumb poised, anxiously awaiting the next cartridge of goodness. The hardcore gamer was born from nights such as these. Show your 'Roots.'" - The description of the Atari 2600 shirt on game-skins.com

it succeeded in giving me what cc could not: intelligent life-like troops, credible ai opponent, and tank drivers that aren't high.

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

[This message has been edited by russellmz (edited 11-20-2000).]

I just played that new scenario "Tiger Trap" as the Germans with about a reinforced company of infantry against at least a Battalion of Frenchies and a horde of tanks. They kicked my ass! Can you say, "Human Wave Attacks?" I have never seen so many infantry running towards me in a game of CM yet. I gave them a nose bleed on their armor at first, but once they eliminated my AT-defenses I was had. If that's any inclination of what CM2 is gonna be like I'm gonna have to say that CM is the ONLY wargame that provokes a fear or joy in a player. When you see hordes of 3D soldiers running at you, now just picture Russians with T-34s instead of FF Shermans (ala Marco's mod) wink.gif

------------------

--"We want information."

--"Information."

--"Information."

--"Who are you?"

--"The new Number 2."

--"Who is Number 1?"

--"You are Number 6."

--"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

--"Hahahahahahahaha."

Yes, rushes are tough to stop unless you're thoroughly prepared for them. The computer opponent overwhelmed me the one time I played VoT as the Germans with such pell-mell tactics. I was flabbergasted!

I'll tell you one thing: the more I play with this title the more I am forced to re-examine my old thoughts of "wargaming" because much of what worked so well before doesn't fly an inch in CMBO.

I feel the infantry element of the game is mature. To me it really is an infantry game. The arty could be a little jazzed up. But I think it works well also. I think things like bunkers that can be entered and trenches would round out the infantry game nicely. Rooms in buildings might be nice.

The armor needs work. The hull down issue and LOS issues are in need of attention as is gun depression (big factor with russian tanks). I still think that the vehicle size silhoutte might be buggy. The tanks fight like robots and dont react realistically. Tanks need a chain of command if there is going to be companys of vehicles deployed.

I would like to see expanded menus and capabilitys. I would also like to see limited menus for troops like conscripts.

Other than that, I think I really like the game. Theres nothing like playing a human in email. It is the ONLY wargame I play. I rarely play CC and sometimes Elite.

I think theres alot of fun that goes with the game. People get off on the mods and highjinx here.

Lewis

If any of you want to see what Close Combat was really meant to be, get the original. Truly.

Graphics were'nt very good even when it came out, and they look real bad now, but it really simulates the conflict well. Everything in CC1 is to scale and its the only one of the series with a great AI and tank drivers who passed the drug test.

You can probably find it for $5 now and its worth a go if you are craving for some realtime. AI is very good. They react fast, and do realistic things, such as area fire against terrain where it thinks someone may be hiding, like a trench or pillbox.

Plus, its bloody and has really cool death animations. And the fact that the bigger battles have hundreds of guys running around getting mown down by MG42's makes it nice for those "SHOW ME EVERY MAN" type of guys.

Truely this is the best wargame on the face of the planet. The only other wargame that even comes close is Steel Panthers World At War. Are there flaws in CMBO? No. Are there things I'd change? Yes. I want a roster screen. It's very frustrating when you lose track of your FO in the heat of battle and have to hit the "+" key a million times to find him. I'd also like the ability to re-crew abandoned vehicles and guns that are still funtional.

Steel Panthers was my all time favorite. It made me realize that a wargame could look pretty and be fun to play. My dream wargame was turn based Steel Panthers with a big graphics update. Keep it turn based and make it pretty by todays standards. That was the perfect wargame for me...

Or so I had incorrectly thought. I didn't warm up to CM right away. That WEGO thing was just too alien for my turn based oriented self. But after a couple of scenarios, I was assimilated. I could not believe how I fell into it so quickly and completely. Engrossing is just one word in an attempt to describe it.

Its been five months already? I play nothing else now and I still haven't scratched the surface of this gem. This game is ground breaking, a brilliant example of how those who love wargaming applied their exceptional skills to bring us computer wargaming as it was meant to be.

And its only going to get better.

------------------

Garry Kump

Kump's CM Outpost

[This message has been edited by kump (edited 11-19-2000).]

Unquestionably, the absolute best WWII game at its scale.......nothing even compares.

Although there is not comparison possible (i.e., a completely different game and scale), i also think that HPS Panthers in the Shadows and Tigers on the Prowl are the ultimate in complete "substance" and realism. The graphics are certainly primitive, but these games are for the true grognad.

Cant wait for the next evolution of CM (i.e., CM2)!!!!

Guest AL the red

I discovered CM by sheer chance and downloaded the demo.I must admit the cartoony style graphics looked a bit weird to me at first,and i was not immediately smitten.However,once tracer rounds started flying and arty shells started dropping it was obvious this was something special.

I`d be interested to know at what view level you guys play at.I play at level 3,occasionally switching to 1 to check LOS.

CM continually surpasses my expectations! To me, it is also reminiscent of Computer Ambush, Battle Group, Panzer Strike, and a host of others... seemingly taking the best of them all and improving upon that, then throwing the nice additions!

I "hate" to agree with Lewis that AFV in CMBO needs improvements especially chain of command in AFV.

Moreover, personally I really want to see imporvments in UI say organization and equipmnet chart on-line.

Sounds like I am beating a dead horse here.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Von Brizee:

If any of you want to see what Close Combat was really meant to be, get the original.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed.

But it doesn't have any better AI.

It's just that the roads dont have curves. smile.gif

The fiery explosions were cool.