Intresting fact

Some people have been looking for this feature in CM2, but apparently the tactic wasn't very successful - the dogs would attack any tank.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

How could you post the Bren thingy and still be at a lost about that peculiar russian business?

Dogs did attack the tanks because they were previously smeared by flamethrower conversion know as FleischWerfer.

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

[This message has been edited by PawBroon (edited 09-16-2000).]

Different period I know but my favourite 'biological' weapon is the incendiary pig used by the Republican Romans, with limited success, against Pyrrhos. It was intended as an anti-elephant weapon. The pigs would be kept tethered by a nose ring until the nasty elephants approached. The loader would then cover the pig in molten tar, the gunner would try to aim the pig towards the elephants. On the gunners command the number three would ignite the porker and the pig would gallop towards the elephants whilst issueing a blood curdling scream. A scream so terrifying that the pachyderms would stampede and the rest of the enemy would go home.

As a weapon it was pretty useless. Romes enemies quite liked them as they got a free cooked breakfast before battle.

smile.gif

Ah yes but I read only the other day, that the Jerries used to have the prime defensive manouvre against such a canine attack. They would send in the Combat Postmen. A crack squad of armour-legged heros armed only with that days mail and a squeaky toy.

------------------

"Be careful You'll have some buggers eye out with that." King Harold, Hastings, 1066

they used a pavlov response to train them...

dogs were fed by putting food under tanks.

may not have been the best weapon, but the germans were nervous enough to shoot any dogs they saw.

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

While fighting against the Viet Cong in Indochina, the Foreign Legionneers in outposts witnessed a strange tactic.

They were attacked one night and the Viets actually catapulted cats with lighted petrol soaked tissues on their tails.

They were propulsed by bamboo.

The cats were a little peeved by the flight and more than peeved by the fire and ended running all over the place.

The purpose of that was to get a lighted cat in the ammo bunker.

Never worked much that.

But a firework that goes Meeeowoowww was good for moral purpose.

biggrin.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by PawBroon (edited 09-17-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by virtualfreak:

The soviets would use dogs with bombs attached to their backs to blow up german tanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was discontinued very early (1941 I think), because the dogs were much better at running towards Russian tanks that they were trained with, than German ones. The Germans did used to mistrust dogs though, although this was probably due to the story of the tank hunting dogs, rather than actual combat successes!

------------------

The conception of such a plan was impossible for a man of Montgomery's innate caution...In fact, Montgomery's decision to mount the operation ...[Market Garden] was as startling as it would have been for an elderly and saintly Bishop suddenly to decide to take up safe breaking and begin on the Bank of England. (R.W.Thompson, Montgomery the Field Marshall)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

Les Français ont un sens de l'humour impair. C'est pourquoi je les aime! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tu as oublie de me dire BERK.

biggrin.gif

You said on the french forum that you'd say YUK to every french you saw for the coming month...

------------------

My understanding of this is that they trained the dogs to smell out the diesel exhaust from the tanks. The germans used gasoline engines in their tanks, and the russians, of course, diesel. Obvious result: don't give man's best friend high explosive. I have a funny image of germans strapping mines to captured dogs...

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

Hmmm where is my puppy....

oh here he is...

now whered I put those claymores...

aha here they are!

Now off you go boy and don't be blowing yourself up, aww hes so cute....

*BOOM*

------------------

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."

The bats didn't work, for the USAAF forgot to allow for high-altitude conditions, the bats when dropped either froze to death or died of Hypoxia, since you then could acheive the same result by dropping conventional icindies, they did.

P.S. During Viet Nam, the VC revived the dog experiment, having much better luck for the simple reason that they had no vehicles biggrin.gif

They stopped using dogs when they found 8 years olds to be much more reliable, sad and horrifying, but true. (no cool for this one)

------------------

Pzvg

"Confucious say, it is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

The bats were canceled after a freek accident and because of the development of the A-Bomb, you see at one of the air bases one bomb which had thousands of the suckers in it some how opened up or was not sealed right.. the bats naturally took flight and being bats took to hiding in every nook and crany at the airbase.. needless to say the Airforce Fire Brigade had thier hands full putting out thousands of fires that started to spring up allover the facilities (the base was written off as a loss) in a sence the bats were a success as stated above if they could be delivered alive on thier target

[This message has been edited by mensch (edited 09-18-2000).]