What does "Gun Damaged" really mean?

Reaper

Hey,

Is the gun out forever, or does the result mean reduced accuracy, slower reload, or something along those lines? If its out, how about changing it to read Gun Destroyed to remove all doubt.

(Clinging to a shard of hope that my Jagdpanther didn't just get taken out by arty falling nearby...)

Reaper

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can mean a range of occurrences, such as damaged optics, splinter damage to the barrel that results in bumps on the inside of the barrel, jamming of the turret ring etc. All of these things that put the gun and coax out of action until they can be repaired, read never in a scenario and only in-between battles in an operation.

[This message has been edited by Bastables (edited 09-10-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

Bad news reaper..... your Jagd is now an overpriced Machinegun Bunker.. wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<crys>

Crap, that is what I thought. I prefer to think of it as a tractor myself. I am going to go back to my PBEM and give the Plow order. =(

Crap, crap, crap, crap.

Reaper

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OberGrupenStompinFeuhrer!:

"Bogged in" and "gun damage" means you have somewhere for your crew to keep dry from the rain.

OGSF<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Bogged in" is not permanent. I have reversed out of being bogged and continued forward on an altered path.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abbott:

"Bogged in" is not permanent. I have reversed out of being bogged and continued forward on an altered path.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But it can turn into immobilized.

My heavy german armor seems to suffer a lot from gun damage, but I rarely see it in Shermans-- they just burn. I often wonder if the German armor has especially damaged guns, or if it's simply that shots that would kill an allied tank will usually damage the German gun. As a result, I generally avoid buying a lot of uebertanks.

Hey,

I am starting to concur. Problem is, I keep bumping into Jumbos and other monsters, so having an 8.8 seems like such a good idea when buying my forces.

Seems they always die to trivial crap though. Either bog/immobilized, take a gun hit, or that supposedly hard to hit weak spot does them in. I have only had a few "die hard" german tanks that just sat there and took it on the nose. I usually take assault guns, and not tanks, so maybe I'll try my luck with Tigers. It seems that lady luck just out-and-out hates my in PBEM though. I can crush the AI like a soda can, but whenever a human jumps on the other side, my luck goes to hell before I have a chance to give bad orders. =)

Trying to sack up and take it on the chin, but not succeeding very well...

Reaper

heheh... in a current PBEM game with rumblefish we had 4(!) gun hits!

On his side:

one hetzer (chaffee got him)

one jadgtiger (Hellcat got him)

one Kingtiger (chaffee got him)

on my side: M36 Jackson (His Jadgtiger got it)

hehe.. he had all those uebertanks in that small location and i got ****ing lucky with my tanks.. heh

Guest Big Time Software

The "Gun Damaged" thing implies that one or more nasty things have happened to your gun. The gun itself might have been hit (I have a pic of a hole through a MkIV's gun smile.gif) or some sort of internal damage as a result of a direct hit to the mantlet or turret. Guns are pretty sensitive things, having complicated optics, various gears, etc. The force of a hit could seriously damage any of these things, which would render the gun out of commission for at least that particular battle.

Steve

The co-ax not working is no problem. But I have had 5 intact (?, I'll have to check that to be certain) crew members and the hull MG would not fire.

Have your tanks been unbuttoned ?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tero:

The co-ax not working is no problem. But I have had 5 intact (?, I'll have to check that to be certain) crew members and the hull MG would not fire.

Have your tanks been unbuttoned ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Buttoned/unbuttoned have had no affect on the operation of hull mgs for me. See if you can run a test, it may be a bug.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

The "Gun Damaged" thing implies that one or more nasty things have happened to your gun.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does this happen more often to tanks with long guns? I haven't specifically tested it, but at least Panther seems to be extremely prone to gun damage.

Once or twice my opponent has almost quitted a game because three of his Panthers have become under 'gun damaged'-status in very short time. This feature clearly affects Panther's capacity in CM.

Was there historically something in Panther's design that made it awfully vulnerable to gun damage?

Ari

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Was there historically something in Panther's design that made it awfully vulnerable to gun damage?

Ari<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naw just can seem their was playing CM because of the number of 'gun' hits that occur. Personaly I think this needs checking as their are a lot of gun damaged tanks & SPs running around in 30 turn QBs.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

Notice: Spelling mistakes left in for people who need to correct others to make their life fulfilled.

I think Gun damage happens TOO often and it is by far TOO absolute. Just because the main gun may take some damage doesn't mean it is inoperable. Also the Coax should not automatically be taken out. Does it still shoot? Can you pull the trigger and do bullets come out?? If yes, then the MG still works!! The TC could stick his head out and direct the darn MG fire if need be.

If anything BTS should implement a scale of damage to the guns that decreases the accuracy of them.

In general I believe the most common, by far reason, the main gun would be damaged would be because the actual barrel is struck by an incoming round. This B.S. about optics and gears getting damaged I feel is SO rare that it should barely, if all, happen.

They only way for optics, gears, etc… to get damaged significantly is for a shell to penetrate the front turret. The shock of a shell striking the turret armor is NOT going to destroy internal gears or whatever. Tanks were design to take punishment, but the ones in CM seem so freakin’ fragile you treat them like china dishware when moving them about the battle field.

Personally I think in BTS'S zeal for realism that they went a little too far here. The chance for gun damage should be scaled back.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jshandorf (edited 09-11-2000).]

Hey,

My gut instinct also tells me that gun damage happens far too often in CM, though I have no data to back it up. I have seen, as was pointed out, pictures of guns destroyed by rounds richocheting off the front armor, but unless shown otherwise, I presume that this was a very rare occurance.

The bogging issue, while certainly annoying, is documented well enough that I accept it as a hardship to overcome, and one of the many unpredictable facets of the battlefield. The "glass guns", however, seem well out of proportion with reported incidents. (For example, its widely known that Ferdinand/Elephants bogged all the time and had engine troubles. Gamers would expect that to be modeled. However, I can't remember ever reading significant loss statistics due to gun damage for any WWII armor.)

I was not around during the Beta phase of this game, so I don't know how forthcoming Steve and Charles are when it comes to the math behind the game, but perhaps they could explain the percentages, and show us the data they derived those numbers from? I know that no penetration charts are used, and that physics determines results, but there has to be some formula that assigns Gun Damaged results that could be a little unforgiving right now.

Reaper